Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Will you wear a cloth mask to prevent Covid spread when in tighter public confines?
Yes...I will voluntarily wear a cloth mask to protect others 111 34.26%
No...not until it is made a law will I wear a cloth mask 93 28.70%
Never...I refuse regardless if it’s a law 64 19.75%
I don’t care...may or may not wear a mask 56 17.28%
Voters: 324. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-21-2020, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muirsy View Post
Seeing the results of this poll & reading the replies...wow.

Considering that wearing a mask is for the benefit of other people & not the person wearing it (you know, in case you're asymptomatic and end up ultimately killing someone), it just shows how selfish many on here are.

Nobody is asking you to wear a mask the second you step outside and sweat in it all day long. If you're somewhere that's a little more busy like a grocery store, why not just suck it up and wear one for 25 minutes?

For years (I'm 35) I've heard how selfish my generation is, ie. "snowflakes" - reading some of the dialogue around here makes me realize that being a whining baby doesn't actually discriminate across ages at all. Some people are just selfish & softer than puppy sh*t by nature.
We've all seen the number of deaths related to influenza on a yearly basis. Have you always wore a mask so as to not pass that on? If not, why not? Seems selfish.
You should probably stop driving a vehicle, heaven forbid you cause an accident where someone is killed. Selfish not to.

I do agree, many people have become whiny and soft....
Old 05-21-2020, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post

Not sure where the Canadian education system failed. Is it really the case that people feel anything written in the Internet must be true..that some net police checks accuracy? That people don’t need to think for themselves.

I've seen folks of all ages believe everything they see on the news as well.
Old 05-21-2020, 04:41 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

just remember "moist" lips can shut down a country....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-21-2020, 04:41 PM

Sundance and 58thecat....I know what ZeroHedge and the author are about. Kind of like The Rebel News. And CNN, and CBC, and every other media source. Professional spin doctors, all of them. I haven't bought into any conspiracy theories regarding covid-19. Or 5G. Or that it's a particularly deadly pandemic that rates shutting down the planet, instead of just taking precautions to protect the vulnerable.

The whole matter is just another wedge issue to divide the masses, and it's working just fine. And governments, as always, follow the creed of never letting a crisis go to waste. So you have our PM running the government from his cottage with no parliamentary oversight and borrowing hundreds of billions of dollars so he will be re-elected, and relegating the next 3 or 4 generation to servitude and backbreaking taxes.

Did I miss anything?

Don't presume to know what I believe or think, just because I disagree with you, and the new Covid Religion. There are far more ways of thinking than just A or B.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-21-2020, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
We've all seen the number of deaths related to influenza on a yearly basis. Have you always wore a mask so as to not pass that on? If not, why not? Seems selfish.
You should probably stop driving a vehicle, heaven forbid you cause an accident where someone is killed. Selfish not to.

One is not asymptomatic with influenza. Many are with Covid. Wearing a mask is the cultural norm in the orient to be respectful of others when sick with a cold. In other areas they wear a mask due to poor air quality.

Given North Americans becoming used to masks...maybe some will start to wear on with a cold.

Why use the Internet excuse of driving is the same of walking around with asymptomatic covid? How is safe driving the same category as wearing a mask to protect others. I guess driving the speed limit, noti aired, not distracted on the phone, not sleepy, not stoned... is comparable to wearing a mask when less than 6 feet from others.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 05-21-2020, 04:43 PM

Double post.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-21-2020, 04:46 PM

Quote:

You will not find a credible source that claims the death rate for Covid & the common flu to be even close. The whole driving a vehicle thing is a nice strawman argument though.
Old 05-21-2020, 04:50 PM

Wink

I don't presume nothing regarding you, your posts etc...find some truth in your thoughts and see your perspective etc but sometime being so wrong can make folks believe they are right...had to take that shot...

myself I will follow the directions provided by our health care professionals...more so than a forum's thought....make my decision how to protect myself so that I don't put others at risk....be it the elderly...the sick...so getting back to the OP yup I will wear a masked when required but not on my boat by myself or in similar situations where I can not possibly contaminate someone...who knows I might be a carrier?

cough..cough...your ok I got my mask on

Old 05-21-2020, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Why use the Internet excuse of driving is the same of walking around with asymptomatic covid? How is safe driving the same category as wearing a mask to protect others. I guess driving the speed limit, noti aired, not distracted on the phone, not sleepy, not stoned... is comparable to wearing a mask when less than 6 feet from others.
We must protect everyone at all costs!!
Old 05-21-2020, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Sundance and 58thecat....I know what ZeroHedge and the author are about. Kind of like The Rebel News. And CNN, and CBC, and every other media source. Professional spin doctors, all of them. I haven't bought into any conspiracy theories regarding covid-19. Or 5G. Or that it's a particularly deadly pandemic that rates shutting down the planet, instead of just taking precautions to protect the vulnerable.

The whole matter is just another wedge issue to divide the masses, and it's working just fine. And governments, as always, follow the creed of never letting a crisis go to waste. So you have our PM running the government from his cottage with no parliamentary oversight and borrowing hundreds of billions of dollars so he will be re-elected, and relegating the next 3 or 4 generation to servitude and backtracking taxes.

Did I miss anything?

Don't presume to know what I believe or think, just because I disagree with you, and the new Covid Religion. There are far more ways of thinking than just A or B.
If you are saying the liberals are handling this serious situation poorly then that is fair.

See they took too long to close the borders. Too long to impose mandatory quarantines for returning international travellers. Maybe even some unfair closed versus open, essential versus none essential business openings.

Where would we be if back in Jan they closed borders, isolated travelers, imposed social distancing and masks and allowed business to remain open.

Being fair. Hindsight is 20/20.

With so many places doing different things we will know eventually what the ideal response was.

Sweden looks good doing most of what I said however they had minimal testing and about twice the death rate as Canada. Will Canada catch up in time? One can guess.

Fact is so far the basic principles of managing the health of Canadians is clearly based upon facts... however slow to implement.

As for Trudeau. Dam rights he is trying to use this to his political advantage. Seen the Premier of Quebec do the same trying to push and ignore Trudeau. Seen Elizabeth May and Blanchet use it to bash oil and gas. Seen Singh use it to demand more free give always and greatly social programs.

So far super impressed with Ford. Think Kenny has done well leading through this. Politically...we can all have opinions. As for Covid there are some irrefutable facts that click bait sites prey on.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 05-21-2020, 04:53 PM

Quote:
We must protect everyone at all costs!!
Just shows you how your comparison fails horribly. Not sure what you see without reading.

Still feel driving and wearing a mask are comparable?
Old 05-21-2020, 04:54 PM

Interesting how people will jump in with both feet when the government tells us to take certain measures to prevent a virus, then when the same government implements more laws over firearms they cry foul. Neither set of measures have any proven validity. No, I will not wear a mask until faced with the prospect of getting fined. When that comes into play, I will do the minimum required. There is my honest opinion, flame away with your emotionally driven comments.
Old 05-21-2020, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muirsy View Post
You will not find a credible source that claims the death rate for Covid & the common flu to be even close. The whole driving a vehicle thing is a nice strawman argument though.
Why does the # matter? If the number is small that is acceptable? People are dying from Influenza. The virus is transmittable via water droplets. If you don't wear a mask that would be selfish

Fall in line
Old 05-21-2020, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Just shows you how your comparison fails horribly. Not sure what you see without reading.

Still feel driving and wearing a mask are comparable?
Lol, you're missing it. Carry on....with a mask of course
Old 05-21-2020, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
Interesting how people will jump in with both feet when the government tells us to take certain measures to prevent a virus, then when the same government implements more laws over firearms they cry foul. Neither set of measures have any proven validity. No, I will not wear a mask until faced with the prospect of getting fined. When that comes into play, I will do the minimum required. There is my honest opinion, flame away with your emotionally driven comments.
No flaming. Just a wrong premise that assumes someone who wears a mask when in close quarters in public to protect others somehow believes is stealing guns away from lawfully owners in Alberta.

Cheers

Sun
Old 05-21-2020, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Lol, you're missing it. Carry on....with a mask of course
I wore a mask at home today. Sanding window sills. Lol.

Now to tie some flies.
Old 05-21-2020, 05:00 PM

Quote:
It's not law & nobody is saying you have to. It's simply another suggested way of helping contain the virus. Again, it's not for the wearer, but for other people.

Personally I don't wear one 99% of the time. When I go for groceries where I know there are lots of other people around I wear one for a grand total of about 20-30 minutes (every 7-10 days). It's not a hassle in the slightest & if I'm helping contribute to containing this thing by even a fraction of a percent it's worth it.
Old 05-21-2020, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Why does the # matter? If the number is small that is acceptable? People are dying from Influenza. The virus is transmittable via water droplets. If you don't wear a mask that would be selfish

Fall in line
You sound like someone who thinks vaccines cause autism. Carry on.
Old 05-21-2020, 05:03 PM

Quote:
your comparing apples to oranges...pandemic virus prevention is spot on and the gun ban crap is just that...oh and you will wear a mask in some buildings whether you like it or not....hospitals come to mind.

ohh I did enjoy your emotionally driven post...thx.

Old 05-21-2020, 05:03 PM

Quote:
If you are saying the liberals are handling this serious situation poorly then that is fair.

....see they took too long to close the borders.....

As for Trudeau. Dam rights he is trying to use this to his political advantage.
I posted a NP article earlier showing that clearly our borders are still not closed, but that's besides the point.

I think the Liberals and Trudeau are handling this opportunity brilliantly, for their own advantage, and to the detriment of the entire country.

You will make note that I specifically called it an opportunity, and not a serious situation. Because I am not convinced that it is a serious situation for most of the population. Just those who are vulnerable. And if 1:100 of the resources blown out the cottage door by JT every morning had been allocated to the proper care and protection of the truly vulnerable, we would not have to shut down the entire economy and create a welfare state of the able bodied.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/joh...9-morning-show

None of this will end well. It's the new normal.

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 05-21-2020 at 05:11 PM.
Old 05-21-2020, 05:07 PM

I wonder will the increase of people wearing masks in society also increase the odds of ugly people getting lucky

As for masks it’s interesting watching the people wearing masks touch everything everyone else does and constantly adjust their masks with dirty hands. Just like the people I have watched pull off rubber gloves with their teeth lol. Covid19 has made for some interesting people watching

Best of luck everyone and you see me without a mask just keep your distance and we will both be happy.
Old 05-21-2020, 05:26 PM

Facts are ...

It doesn't matter how the government and health officials responded to COVID, people would complain.

If more people died, people would complain.

Not enough deaths, people complain.

Everyone is an "expert" unless they're in the position of creating policies.

Everyone is guilty of confirmation bias, yes even you!

Everyone believes their "opinions" are right, especially the "right fighters".

Don't want to wear a mask, don't, but don't ridicule those who chose to.

Want to wear a mask, wear it, but don't ridicule those who don't.

At the end of the day, we could have had a much higher death count but thanks to Canadians and how awesome we are, we did what we had to do to care for our fellow Canadians. Some of you all act like this is somehow a bad thing. Now, because we're awesome Canadians, we'll move forward at rebuilding our country and economy. Complaining and dissing each other doesn't accomplish anything.
Old 05-21-2020, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
"..Best of luck everyone and if you see me without a mask,
just keep your distance and we will both be happy.."
Like ^^
The above is the missing option for me in this poll, correct response !
Old 05-21-2020, 05:46 PM

They mentioned today that if everyone in public wore a mask the R0 number
Would be 1 or less. That means covid would disappear simply by wearing masks.

If that’s too difficult to understand I can’t for the life of me have any sympathy with the ones not using masks. Make it law. Make it necessary in public. In a while it will be gone...simple.
Old 05-21-2020, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post

If that’s too difficult to understand I can’t for the life of me have any sympathy with the ones not using masks. Make it law. Make it necessary in public. In a while it will be gone...simple.
They made a law about murder once. And nobody has been killed ever since.

Anyway, let's all wear masks.

And when the vaccine comes out we make a law everybody has to get it, or they forfeit all their property and goods. Especially guns.

Old 05-21-2020, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post

Odd doesn’t seem to be working all that great in California and many other places with mask laws

But it’s a great theory
Old 05-21-2020, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Odd doesn’t seem to be working all that great in California and many other places with mask laws

But it’s a great theory
They didn’t brin the law into effect until April 10...let’s wait and see how it works out.
Old 05-21-2020, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
They made a law about murder once. And nobody has been killed ever since.

Anyway, let's all wear masks.

And when the vaccine comes out we make a law everybody has to get it, or they forfeit all their property and goods. Especially guns.
They also made a law about wearing seatbelts. Now almost everyone wears one. The law worked. Less dead people.

Wear your mask. It works. Less dead people.
Old 05-21-2020, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporty View Post
Facts are ...

It doesn't matter how the government and health officials responded to COVID, people would complain.

If more people died, people would complain.

Not enough deaths, people complain.

Everyone is an "expert" unless they're in the position of creating policies.

Everyone is guilty of confirmation bias, yes even you!

Everyone believes their "opinions" are right, especially the "right fighters".

Don't want to wear a mask, don't, but don't ridicule those who chose to.

Want to wear a mask, wear it, but don't ridicule those who don't.

At the end of the day, we could have had a much higher death count but thanks to Canadians and how awesome we are, we did what we had to do to care for our fellow Canadians. Some of you all act like this is somehow a bad thing. Now, because we're awesome Canadians, we'll move forward at rebuilding our country and economy. Complaining and dissing each other doesn't accomplish anything.
Some people just don't play well with others, they are not hard to spot.

Thomas Sowell
Old 05-21-2020, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead View Post
Well that depends on ones perspective and situation.

I am in the 20% of individuals in the Covid high-risk category.

Any firearms or other issues are going to be secondary if I am in ICU on a ventilator or dead.
As am i ,but im probly not gonna hide under the bed hoping it wont get me Wash your hands , use your head and have faith in god, you will come out just fine