Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Will you wear a cloth mask to prevent Covid spread when in tighter public confines?
Yes...I will voluntarily wear a cloth mask to protect others 111 34.26%
No...not until it is made a law will I wear a cloth mask 93 28.70%
Never...I refuse regardless if it’s a law 64 19.75%
I don’t care...may or may not wear a mask 56 17.28%
Voters: 324. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-21-2020, 09:25 AM

Default Wearing a mask when in public spaces

Federal and provincial health leaders are now saying to wear a mask when in closer contact places likes grocery stores, offices, shopping centres etc.

Science shows that some people are Covid spreaders without symptoms. So by wearing a mask you ensure less chance of spreading to others.

If everyone wears a mask it prevents Covid spread and can help keep people employed and business as usual.

When at a fishing store the other day I noticed not everyone follows the 6 foot rule and some stores are laid out to make it hard to socially distance as more people arrive. Wearing a mask helps everyone in the store from employees to shoppers. Everyone stays safer by respecting each other and wear a mask. At the time I didn’t...however I have a mask to wear going forward.

Fact stays that failure to distance can win you a $1200 ticket. Unfortunately your behaviour in a store could also win them a $10,000 fine. So my plea is to hope everyone can play a part in keeping Covid away by wearing a mask.

A second wave is predicted. Maybe we can help make is better?

Cheers

Sun
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 05-21-2020, 09:31 AM
Banned

Well it looks like so far 50% of respondents don't give a hoot about other peoples health.
Nice!!
Old 05-21-2020, 09:34 AM

Considering, that people do not wear them right at all, or know how the put em on or off, i say no. What people need to do, is leave the kids at home when possible, plan there outings, and do not touch everything on the shelf, only touch what you absolutely need too.

Looking at our testing numbers, masks are over blow, but if I am asked to i'll pony up and buy a couple buffs.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:43 AM

Physical distancing works with almost ALL communicable diseases. This stuff isnt new

Chinese were wearing masks around here for the past 15 years. Again, not new.

Covid is the least of anyones worries......its definitely a concern, but its not the big picture.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick0danger View Post
Considering, that people do not wear them right at all, or know how the put em on or off, i say no. What people need to do, is leave the kids at home when possible, plan there outings, and do not touch everything on the shelf, only touch what you absolutely need too.

Looking at our testing numbers, masks are over blow, but if I am asked to i'll pony up and buy a couple buffs.
Fishing buffs should totally work when folded over. I will to use mine and it smelled of suntan lotion, mojitos, sweat, sea salt and bonefish...such a sweet aroma...made me wish I was fishing. Due to the rush of memories I felt it was too distracting so I will use a cloth mask made by my daughter using a recommended pattern.

As for wearing them correctly...since this is worn, not to protect yourself from others but to protect others from you should you unknowingly be infected and be a source of spread.

Wearing a cloth mask over your face will be beneficially preventing maximum potential virus spread to others. So wearing it perfectly to me is not as critical.

Science says virus is released via the act of breathing and talking so a mask will help.

Sun
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 05-21-2020, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Physical distancing works with almost ALL communicable diseases. This stuff isnt new

Covid is the least of anyones worries......its definitely a concern, but its not the big picture.
I wear it when I’m in a store. Really don’t want to catch the plague because I know I might have trouble with it due to asthma. Good to see almost everyone wearing one yesterday in home hardware. It’s not hard to do and will help the cause.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:50 AM

Talking

A phart will pass through your underwear, jeans & tucked in shirt.

Can still fill a room with said results.

Just sayn.......
Old 05-21-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:

Well that depends on ones perspective and situation.

I am in the 20% of individuals in the Covid high-risk category.

Any firearms or other issues are going to be secondary if I am in ICU on a ventilator or dead.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:59 AM

I have been wearing one occasionally but will start being more responsible, especially when in stores with narrow aisles like Can. Tire.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:06 AM

I think we need a better quality mask that is readily available. These cloth ones that people are making and giving or selling are not worth their salt.
I have a 95 mask left over from when I was spraying insulation in my attic a couple of years ago and I use that. But it would be nice to be able to buy a new one.
I still do not understand why we have to buy our masks from China. Health supplies should be manufactured in this country and they should be the first ones purchased to keep Canadian companies going after the pandemic is over.
Yes we might have to pay more but with the money government wastes on other things in house health supplies should be on the top of the list.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:09 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves1 View Post
A phart will pass through your underwear, jeans & tucked in shirt.

Can still fill a room with said results.

Just sayn.......
yes but when the juices touch cloth then we have a concern.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-21-2020, 10:10 AM

The problem is masks are hard to find and expensive when you can find them. I refuse to wear the home made jobs people are selling because you have no idea if they are made from safe materials or if the person who made them is symptomatic or not. Look whats happening with the hospital staff that are required to wear to masks from china, may are reporting headaches, eye irritations and even some chemical burns. Not to mention the physical failures.
Reusable masks like 3M half masks do not filter the exhaust air, only filtering the incoming air. This could actually create a false sense of security in some situations. They might reduce the range of possible infection as some vent straight down. Others vent straight out but people think they are exhausting clean air. You must also be fit tested, and be clean shaven at all times to get a good seal. Most people who have never worn masks before don't even know what a fit test is.
Truthfully we need more infections in Alberta so the population can develop a "heard immunity" so when the second wave hits we will be much better off. Cloth masks may reduce the possibility of infection but it will not eliminate it even if there was 100% global compliance. In theory this could allow the virus to mutate into something even more deadly if people are not able to develop natural antibodies. This can be true of other viruses as well, not just covid.

I carry a mask with me when I'm out but given the current infection rate I prefer to save it for when it is needed like a situation where I cant distance or if I'm around someone I strongly suspect is sick.

The best thing you can do is isolate if you think you have a symptom or have been around someone you know has been sick.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 05-21-2020, 10:11 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigsalot View Post
I wear it when I’m in a store. Really don’t want to catch the plague because I know I might have trouble with it due to asthma. Good to see almost everyone wearing one yesterday in home hardware. It’s not hard to do and will help the cause.
roger that and it is all part of the big picture....by me doing my part can help another then so be it.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-21-2020, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post

As for wearing them correctly...since this is worn, not to protect yourself from others but to protect others from you should you unknowingly be infected and be a source of spread.

Sun
What happens, is you touch the outside of you mask, then breath your pushing anything on outside into the air. Seen lots of people with them under there nose, again your breathing germs on the outside of the mask and then making them airborne when you breath out your mouth or your nose if you put the mask on correct again. That is why wearing them properly is very important.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:14 AM

It really can’t hurt to wear one and if it slows down the spread even a measly 20%/30%. It’s worth it.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:23 AM

I wear one on construction sites, but walking around outdoors I don't. In my personal experience jobsites are horrible at social distancing. I find myself walking backwards away from people more than forwards!

I have a bandanna and a box of N95 masks but I hate wearing the N95's when I'm climbing stairwells etc.

I try to shop at larger stores (less cramped) and we have done a lot of home deliveries or sidewalk pickups.

I'll comply with directives, but with recommendations I'll use my own good judgement thanks.

One plug, Valbella's in Canmore does free delivery and has AMAZING BBQ kits. My second order should arrive today.

They have a BBQ kit and Carnivore kit. WAAAY better meats than you can get at a typical grocery store.

https://valbellagourmetfoods.ca/

Before i started making my own sausage from my wild game, i'd have them do my sausages and pepperoni. Worth the drive to Canmore!
Old 05-21-2020, 10:23 AM

I will wear one if I have to be near people
So far by shopping early once a week and online ordering I've been able to avoid people altogether.
I had to wear a mask almost daily when working, what I see is most that aren't used to wearing one they are constantly adjusting it or touching their faces more than they normally would then touching surfaces with their hands.

Do you wash the cloth mask every time it's worn ? If not what ever you hocked up is still on the mask you will touch it with yours hands to put on again.

Most masks are made for single use will people use a $2 mask to go to 7-11 then dispose?

Avoid people whenever possible
Old 05-21-2020, 10:28 AM

This is really starting to scare me, I'm beginning to think we are all gonna die.

Hopefully wearing a mask can prevent death.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-21-2020, 10:31 AM

I have been wearing a homemade cloth mask since the onset of the lockdown. I wear it out of respect and concern for staff and fellow shoppers. I believe to do otherwise and not wear a mask is selfish. I wash it with soap and hot water when I go home so it is always clean and ready to go.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
This is really starting to scare me, I'm beginning to think we are all gonna die.

Hopefully wearing a mask can prevent death.
No we aren't all going to die.

But people need to be aware that wearing the masks helps protect themselves and others.

I've been on hundreds of construction sites and never been hit on the head. Does that mean people shouldn't wear hardhats?

It's a logical health and safety issue. Let's just wear the masks.

Last edited by Buckhead; 05-21-2020 at 10:43 AM.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead View Post
Well that depends on ones perspective and situation.

I am in the 20% of individuals in the Covid high-risk category.

Any firearms or other issues are going to be secondary if I am in ICU on a ventilator or dead.
True

Economics is the biggest issue.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:43 AM

Quote:

^^^^THIS!!!!
We should all be worried more about the virus in Ottawa.

Practice good hygiene and keep a physical distance!

BW
Old 05-21-2020, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick0danger View Post
What happens, is you touch the outside of you mask, then breath your pushing anything on outside into the air. Seen lots of people with them under there nose, again your breathing germs on the outside of the mask and then making them airborne when you breath out your mouth or your nose if you put the mask on correct again. That is why wearing them properly is very important.
Agreed. Wearing them properly as per your example is easy to do and should be so.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
[/B]

^^^^THIS!!!!

BW
And if physical distancing is difficult due to store size and number of shoppers...wearing a mask helps with physical distancing would you agree?
Old 05-21-2020, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
[/B]

^^^^THIS!!!!

BW
Yup, the story keeps changing from day, not a problem, huge problem, no masks, now masks, what's next ? Mortality rates is what it's about in the end and if the economy can survive government mishandling. Nobody wants to talk about Taiwan, because it's not A WHO member, but they seem to have done it right.

Grizz
Old 05-21-2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
I will wear one if I have to be near people
So far by shopping early once a week and online ordering I've been able to avoid people altogether.
I had to wear a mask almost daily when working, what I see is most that aren't used to wearing one they are constantly adjusting it or touching their faces more than they normally would then touching surfaces with their hands.

Do you wash the cloth mask every time it's worn ? If not what ever you hocked up is still on the mask you will touch it with yours hands to put on again.

Most masks are made for single use will people use a $2 mask to go to 7-11 then dispose?

Avoid people whenever possible
My daughter made a bunch of cloth masks. So if I go into a fishing store again I can wear it...then toss it in with a load of wash and wear another should the need arise.

Don’t need to throw out masks. For disposable masks...pull them off by the straps...don’t touch the front. Place in a sunny window for 48 hours. Then good to go again.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:05 AM

Default Mask

A polarizing read, those comments.
A large part of my job deals with an interaction with the sick and often dying. I am aware of my contact with patients, of them with me and many aspects afterward.
Asymptomatic spread is a catch phrase for behaviour reminder. You cannot contract sars cov2 from breath or sharing air space.
You should absolutely be mindful of your vulnerability if you are; wear a RATED mask if you choose to go out. Take advantage of the hours offered by retailers catered to vulnerable people.
For my part, i would obey a mandatory order without a second thought but until then, i will not be wearing a mask. I will cough into my sleeve. I will sneeze into my elbow. I will not handle more than i need to. I will frequently use the alcohol-based hand rub i carry on my person everywhere i go. Hey wait, that is what i always do...
Old 05-21-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Yup, the story keeps changing from day, not a problem, huge problem, no masks, now masks, what's next ? Mortality rates is what it's about in the end and if the economy can survive government mishandling. Nobody wants to talk about Taiwan, because it's not A WHO member, but they seem to have done it right.

Grizz
Didn’t take a rocket scientist some time ago to see the value in wearing masks has in preventing the spread while allowing for a more open economy.

Interesting you mentioned Taiwan as a country who did it right. Guess what they all wear.

Old 05-21-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmai View Post
A polarizing read, those comments.
A large part of my job deals with an interaction with the sick and often dying. I am aware of my contact with patients, of them with me and many aspects afterward.
Asymptomatic spread is a catch phrase for behaviour reminder. You cannot contract sars cov2 from breath or sharing air space.
You should absolutely be mindful of your vulnerability if you are; wear a RATED mask if you choose to go out. Take advantage of the hours offered by retailers catered to vulnerable people.
For my part, i would obey a mandatory order without a second thought but until then, i will not be wearing a mask. I will cough into my sleeve. I will sneeze into my elbow. I will not handle more than i need to. I will frequently use the alcohol-based hand rub i carry on my person everywhere i go. Hey wait, that is what i always do...
Are you a health care professional? Can you please elaborate on your quote in red above?
Old 05-21-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead View Post
No we aren't all going to die.

But people need to be aware that wearing the masks helps protect themselves and others.

I've been on hundreds of construction sites and never been hit on the head. Does that mean people shouldn't wear hardhats?

It's a logical health and safety issue. Let's just wear the masks.
Yes, we are all going to die. It's inevitable. Just thought I'd mention that.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone