Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-18-2020, 07:51 PM

Default Rocky Mountain House Area Fishing

Hi All,

I finally caught my first fish in AB this weekend. Although, it was about 6" and in a freshly stocked pond, so it was nothing to brag about. I only know a couple folks that fish, so not a huge knowledge base to garner info from (outside of here).

I'm planning on camping at Prairie Creek mid-August, and was wondering what some good starting points are near there for that time of year.

I spin and fly fish, but don't have access to a boat, so shore fishing only.

Much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jay
Old 05-19-2020, 07:06 PM

Im not local from there but I do have a friend from Rocky who fishes a lot and she got me hooked on Medicine Lake, Ive camped right on shore as they have lots of campsites along the water. Oddly enough I went through a whole lot of weiners pike fishing, no huge fish but all fun. I used so many I was cutting them in eights and hanging the piece under a bobber and it was pretty non stop action. Had just had hernia surgery so I wasnt looking for anything too big anyways Lots of water to fish around there lakes and streams both. its beautiful country just has way too many trees oh and welcome to the madhouse, err forum!

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 05-19-2020, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Im not local from there but I do have a friend from Rocky who fishes a lot and she got me hooked on Medicine Lake, Ive camped right on shore as they have lots of campsites along the water. Oddly enough I went through a whole lot of weiners pike fishing, no huge fish but all fun. I used so many I was cutting them in eights and hanging the piece under a bobber and it was pretty non stop action. Had just had hernia surgery so I wasnt looking for anything too big anyways Lots of water to fish around there lakes and streams both. its beautiful country just has way too many trees oh and welcome to the madhouse, err forum!
Wayne , It has become a party place with no rules as per say. New host's don't really care. The F&W boss doesn't give a rats petwooee. We reported fishing poachers a couple of years ago ,with pictures at the cleaning station. Jack **** was done. Really sad situation. We have been going there for many years. I'm,we're are done. Never to go back. Westward Bound has been running it for the last 8+ years.

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 05-20-2020, 04:26 PM

Thanks for the tips!
Old 05-21-2020, 08:32 AM

lots of places in that area to fish. Prairie creek is a good starting point. nice little river with some nice browns in it, but can be a little tricky to catch.
the Strachen campground is a decent place to start or stay. upstream is forestry land while downstream is thru farm and cattle country so private land.
Mitchell and Strubel are a couple of stocked ponds in the area never fished them but just visited them. they both look like they would offer pretty good shore fishing. there are a few other ponds in the area so a little research will yield some locations.
if a little more adventerous and want a day trip i would head up the North Fork rd to the North Ram. it is about 60 k to where the road hits the ram from Strachen Campgound but the fishing can be incredible for decent sized cutties.
pick up the Alberta Fishing Guide and see all the fishing oppurtunities in the area.

good luck
Mike
Old 05-22-2020, 02:23 PM

Thanks, Mikeym. I'll look into these spots.
Old 05-22-2020, 03:15 PM

As said, pick up Alberta Fishing Guide. All kinds of fishing in the area.....lakes, creeks, rivers.