Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-17-2020, 10:50 AM

Default Fishing Related Businesses You Can Recommend

Hey guys. During this economic downturn, I thought it may be a good idea to give some shout outs to businesses in the province that we can personally recommend. Places that you have dealt with, and have given consistently excellent service. We are always quick to jump on places that shaft us, so why not go the other route and recommend places that have done right by us.

I will start off with Europa Canopy and Marine in Edmonton. They are a small business that sells and services smaller boats, motors, inflatables, and trailers. They have been in business for a long time and treat people right, not just in price, but in service too. It is owned by an outdoorsmen who knows the value of a customer, and goes the extra mile for them. Numbers of forum members I know personally have dealt with them and have nothing but great things to say.

Last edited by sns2; 05-17-2020 at 11:21 AM.
Old 05-17-2020, 12:40 PM

I purchased an outboard from Europa Canopy and Marine, end of season clearance. 100 bucks over cost, I had my brother pick it up in Edmonton. Even though they were not at the store he made a special trip by appointment on a holiday Thanksgiving to meet my brother and give him the motor. Five stars in my books.

Thomas Sowell
Old 05-17-2020, 12:57 PM

Fish Tales in Calgary.#1 Flyfishing ,gear,flies etc in Calgary
Old 05-17-2020, 03:59 PM

Default Two obvious ones in Edmonton

Full, full disclosure, as I did 2 separate stints for the Fishin' Hole as an employee.

So...the Fishin' Hole is good.

And so is Reid's fly shop. Just stopped in at Reid's this past week after it re-opened, he's got great flies there, nice tackle for rod and reels, and some nice specialty fly-tying stuff.

Support local businesses!
Old 05-17-2020, 05:29 PM

Great job guys! This is exactly what I was hoping for
Old 05-17-2020, 09:16 PM

Fishin hole edmonton south side.
Old 05-17-2020, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishwhere View Post
Another vote for Reid's Fly Shop for fly gear and The Fishin' Hole for conventional tackle.
Old 05-17-2020, 09:46 PM

Icky Flyworks has been great to deal with in the past. Fly fishing isn't my first passion but the products I get from them are more than adequate for me and the price is right, add to that they get stuff out fast which is awesome.

Had a chance to deal with the Source for Sports in Bonnyville this year a couple of times and was pretty impressed. Seemed like good guys and for a store that doesn't just sell fishing stuff I was impressed with the selection. I bought some suckers there over the phone in February and they held them in the freezer until March which I thought was pretty cool.

Another shout out to the Fishin Hole south in Edmonton. Only been there a few times travelling through but have always enjoyed the service. Nice to visit a store that has a healthy selection and has folks that also fish as staff.
Old 05-17-2020, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishwhere View Post
X2. Spent lots of money in that store. Good place
Old 05-18-2020, 10:11 AM

Flys Ect High river...My local shop for everything hunting, fishing and shooting. Also they have a nice little indoor bow range.

Trick Flies ...My goto for chironomids in smaller sizes.https://trickflies.ca/

Big Sky Fly and jigs.....Every kind of jig you can think of and some great dealshttps://bigskyflies.ca/.
Old 05-19-2020, 09:06 AM

Get your reels services at The Reel Doctor!

love TFH staff. All of southside staff are so nice and outgoing.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 05-19-2020, 10:16 AM

High Caliber Lures in Saskatchewan.....mom and pop lure company with some of the nicest looking and best performing longest lasting jigs and blade baits I've ever used. Excellent customer service as well.
Old 05-19-2020, 10:59 AM

It's not an Alberta company, but LOTW Sports Headquarters out of Kenora is top notch.
Old 05-19-2020, 12:16 PM

if you have vehicular issues around Brooks or happen to go through the ice on Newell Ive been really happy dealing with Brooks Towing

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 05-19-2020, 02:34 PM

Shameless plug for Elk River Guiding Co. in Fernie!
If anyone is in ever in or going through Fernie, stop by to chat at the shop, great service, great staff and great selection! Elk River and its tribs have the best dry-fly action in the Kootaneys to boot!

Locally, hard to beat TFH, staff are always friendly and engaging!
Old 05-19-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryflyguy View Post
Shameless plug for Elk River Guiding Co. in Fernie!
If anyone is in ever in or going through Fernie, stop by to chat at the shop, great service, great staff and great selection! Elk River and its tribs have the best dry-fly action in the Kootaneys to boot!

Locally, hard to beat TFH, staff are always friendly and engaging!
One of my favorite videos from the the Fernie area. This video is so good https://youtu.be/jOBFxv4BbNE
Old 05-19-2020, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinelakeperch View Post
It's not an Alberta company, but LOTW Sports Headquarters out of Kenora is top notch.
...and now out of Winnipeg as well They're the best fishing "store" in MB/NW Ont, no question, and their website kicks ass.
Old 05-19-2020, 10:49 PM

One more vote for Fishin' Hole South.

I'm just a notch above a total fishing newbie and the staff member there was excellent and patient when I went to get my first baitcaster on Monday, even though she was swamped with customers.

And a few years ago, when I bought my first set of gear, same thing. I had no clue what I was doing, barely a clue what I wanted ("trout and pike"), and they sold me a rod and reel I'm incredibly happy with to this day (Pflueger President 6935 reel, and the same brand rod - 662M I believe). I'm not going to "review" these because I have almost nothing to compare them to, but they've put up with a tonne of casts, a fair amount of abuse (dropping them on rocks, in the water, trying to yank lures out of weeds while pulling the rod at an angle, etc.) and work perfectly to this day. Yes, because I didn't know what I wanted, I ended up getting a bunch of stuff I didn't really end up using much - jigs, pickerel rigs - but if I hadn't had them, I wouldn't realize I prefer spoons and crankbaits. They also took care of my wallet and sanity - cheap mono backing and a cheap braid whose test weight I can't even recall.

I've only been at the West location once, which... well, it was one experience, and it felt more like a corporate Cabela's experience than what I got at South. But it was one trip there, and I'm not going to judge. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't outstanding.

My arms are sore, my neck is red, my forearms are burnt, but that's just a testament to how much I've enjoyed the new gear.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
...and now out of Winnipeg as well They're the best fishing "store" in MB/NW Ont, no question, and their website kicks ass.
I stay the hell out of there because I drop to much cash, they well hurt this year due to the usa clients ,but I might just have to make one more trip and see there rod selection.

JD
Old 05-22-2020, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
I stay the hell out of there because I drop to much cash, they well hurt this year due to the usa clients ,but I might just have to make one more trip and see there rod selection.

JD
ha ha ha. Keep it under $100, and I call it a win. It's my go-to place for Kietech and Z-Man gear!