Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-23-2020, 02:33 PM

Default Ensuite renovation - heated tile question

Didn't want to hijack the other heated flooring thread, but this is of interest to me currently as the house we just bought has heated tile floor in the ensuite. Problem is when they renovated the ensuite they went small, with lots of wasted space. Waste of money to me, if you're gonna do it, do it right. They put in a real purty glass shower enclosure, but it's still not meant for a big guy (me). I've spent the last 10 years rubbing elbows with the walls of our little cubicle shower, never again. We're going to have a contractor quote us on tearing out the shower and putting in a larger one, figure we have room for another 8"Wx10"L or so for the tray, so why not use it.

My questions are regarding the removal of some of the tile to make room for a larger shower tray. With the mesh, how is it sized? How is it manipulated to fit a certain sized space? I'm guessing it can't be cut as it would break a circuit of some kind? Can it be folded over somehow from where the tile is that will be removed or can the mesh be left down and just lay the tray over the part we're expanding, or even yet, leave both mesh AND tile alone and level the rest of area where there is no tile under the rest of the tray?

Contractor wasn't sure over the phone, we're meeting Monday to walk through the house and discuss some other things we're going to have done prior to filling it with furniture and loads of other crap. Hoping he has some answers then, but in the meantime I'm hoping a fellow member has some experience with this.

Cheers, BR
Old 05-23-2020, 05:50 PM

If the heating wire's end splice is at the shower entrance you should be fine to remove those tiles, but there's probably no way to know. I would go with pulling the existing tray out and levelling that part of the floor, and don't disturb the heating system.

They say you shouldn't put in floor heat under any fixtures, but because it's already under tile, you should be fine. That said, you may need to check code.