Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-21-2020, 09:38 AM

Default Hantavirus...don’t forget and be prepared

Hantavirus is a rare yet very deadly disease caught from mice usually when sweeping out or cleaning areas with mouse droppings.

So when opening up your trailer or cabin or shed or bins...use proper precautions.

https://www.620ckrm.com/2020/05/20/m...ly-hantavirus/
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 05-21-2020, 11:03 AM

Default weak javex solution in spray bottle always

usually see some droppings in barn or office each spring despite poison distribution throughout building and multicatch traps. RV has been good but I weight old coffee cans with rocks and then put the bar poison in the coffee can with small hole in lid between wheels and near the front supports so none inside 5th wheel for 4 years now. l always spray the day before I intend to vaccum or sweep. sometimes they get sprayed a few times before I actually get around to vacuuming. I mask up regardless
Old 05-21-2020, 11:17 AM

People just need to stop sweeping out grain bins so that we can flatten the curve.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:19 AM

I can personally vouch for this. My first wife passed away from this virus. The virus can set up the body for up to 45 days so it may be difficult to know point of exposure, last few days are very quick. My wife was a farm girl from young and in excellent health. At the time only the University of New Mexico hospital would treat patients by tapping into the neck arteries and using a heart lung machine to oxegenate the blood.
My wife was diagnosed and sent to the U of A hospital, lay on a gurney in a hallway for 18 hours, then finally placed in ICU, intubated and only had nurses to care for her as her doctor went home for the night.
Even if you survive you can have organ damage and life long problems.
Not too much different than Covid, except transmission is from feces dust of contaminated deer mice.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traderal View Post
I can personally vouch for this. My first wife passed away from this virus. The virus can set up the body for up to 45 days so it may be difficult to know point of exposure, last few days are very quick. My wife was a farm girl from young and in excellent health. At the time only the University of New Mexico hospital would treat patients by tapping into the neck arteries and using a heart lung machine to oxegenate the blood.
My wife was diagnosed and sent to the U of A hospital, lay on a gurney in a hallway for 18 hours, then finally placed in ICU, intubated and only had nurses to care for her as her doctor went home for the night.
Not too much different than Covid, except transmission is from feces dust of contaminated deer mice.
Tragic. Very sorry to hear and highlights the need to not make fun of this disease. It is rare, very deadly and as most of us live in the outdoors and in the country as much as possible...it means we need the awareness and be cautious when Speing cleaning where mice have been.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 05-21-2020, 11:45 AM

Sorry to hear about your loss.
Recently a young man, 35, from my hometown passed away from this.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
usually see some droppings in barn or office each spring despite poison distribution throughout building and multicatch traps. RV has been good but I weight old coffee cans with rocks and then put the bar poison in the coffee can with small hole in lid between wheels and near the front supports so none inside 5th wheel for 4 years now. l always spray the day before I intend to vaccum or sweep. sometimes they get sprayed a few times before I actually get around to vacuuming. I mask up regardless
How small of a hole do you put in your lid? That sounds like a great idea.

We have our trailer out at the in-laws place in the country and went to open up the trailer on the long weekend and noticed that we had some mouse visitors over the winter. Not a ton, but there was some mouse droppings. I wanted to use bait, but didn't want to have some mouse eat it and die in some spot I cant get to and stink up the whole trailer.

And to confirm, you put 2 cans/baits out each year outside under the trailer? Do you need to freshen the bait over the winter?

DR
Old 05-22-2020, 03:22 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
truly sorry for your loss....not sure if this is proper protocol but we spray area with water mist...dust masks on and sweep up....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-22-2020, 03:44 PM

Quote:
>>
Terrible friend. Sorry for the loss of your Wife. Who would know unless a person was made aware back then.
Old 05-22-2020, 04:19 PM

Way more lethal than CV 19 and easier to contract.

Grizz
Old 05-22-2020, 05:26 PM

We have people come in and de-mouse our trucks. They are garbage trucks and I asked about if it made a difference if it were field mice or deer mice and he said no. Some how they find there way into the head liner and set up shop. Some of the trucks smelt so bad from them. All our trucks now have bait stations in them. It helps lots
Sorry to hear about your loss traderal.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:41 PM

Default specifically

Deer mice
Old 05-22-2020, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
Deer mice
Yes for sure the deer mice but the others do create other health problems as well
Old 05-22-2020, 09:42 PM

Default DRhunter

I just use a jack knife on the lid so the smallest hole I have made is probably one inch in the plastic lid. Some bigger holes actually allowed snow to blow into the can. I use 4 coffee cans for my small 5th wheel (22 feet) but used to use 6 for my 29 foot as I put one on each side of the 4 wheels and one at each front support stand on each side. I find in September October when the mice are actually moving around looking to get into things I have to replace the bars on occasion. In mid winter I usually check again and put another bar or half bar is actually what I use where ever required. Like you I dont want any attractant like bait in the 5th wheel so prefer to get them prior to them finding a way in and leaving a trail for the others to follow. Bonus is we have the 5th wheel parked by the driveway pad near garage and since starting to do this 4 years ago the mice die under or near 5th wheel and we havent had any get in garage or start building a next in the heater fan of my truck like they did many years ago.
Old 05-23-2020, 06:48 AM

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/searc...rchid=17752919

Be careful.....

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 05-23-2020, 07:06 AM

Default Once

I stored a Coleman camper out at an ex-brother-in law's farm.The following spring picked it up and took it home only to find deer mice had eaten 2 lbs of warafin and all the cloth in the trailer.I killed over 20 with a small stick and urine /nests along with dried bodies were everywhere.I. was wearing a mask.The insurance company paid for it but was not happy.Was parked nowhere near the grainery.
Old 05-23-2020, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
truly sorry for your loss....not sure if this is proper protocol but we spray area with water mist...dust masks on and sweep up....
Should be a water/bleach solution, but anything that wets down the dust helps.
Old 05-23-2020, 01:07 PM

I used to remediate mouse infested instrument shacks. We used lots of bleach water mix sprayed with a garden type sprayer, hepa full face respirators, tyvek coveralls, and a hepa filter equipped vacuum. It is a serious disease if you manage to contract it.
Old 05-23-2020, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
I stored a Coleman camper out at an ex-brother-in law's farm.The following spring picked it up and took it home only to find deer mice had eaten 2 lbs of warafin and all the cloth in the trailer.I killed over 20 with a small stick and urine /nests along with dried bodies were everywhere.I. was wearing a mask.The insurance company paid for it but was not happy.Was parked nowhere near the grainery.
Warfarin is like candy to them. By the time they get a lethal dose, the damage is done. I prefer the Tin cat, In and done and as many as there are room for .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MZQCZasdOc