Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-22-2020, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post
let me tell ya when I walk around my home in B.C. one thing those guys are guilty for would be picking up dog doo doo in a bag and leaving the bag on the ground somewhere without properly disposing it. I walk down one block and you can see a dozen poop sacks in my neighbourhood or on the beach.

I rather them not do that since its probably better for the poop to naturally decompose then tossing a bag everywhere.

So yes not everyone is a saint haha
I see this all the time in the dog parks around Calgary.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:43 PM

https://www-cbc-ca.cdn.ampproject.or...owns-1.5580513

Leaving notes, spitting on Albertan cars and vandalism

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 05-22-2020, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage 13 View Post
So what happened when you reported the people dumping garbage, fridges , motor oil etc, you say they were locals so should have been fairly easy to report.
I find it strange about the trucks throwing out cans near your residents in the first post you said not Albertans but now you saw there loggers but you couldn't id the trucks or get a plate so how would one know were there from.
Pretty easy to find out who is logging in area or planting trees for that matter
if that's who it was but not really sounding like it or your not concerned or
see it as a issue.
I can't speak for where you live but I am right on the highway alongside Kootenay Lake.
There's one way in and one way out along that road. There is a logging truck rolling by on average of every 5-10 mins.
I have been mowing lawn and seen the 3/4 ton trucks going by and split second later hear the "tink, tink, tink" of a beer can as it bounces along the shoulder into the ditch.
90% of the crew trucks are white, have a headache rack and look ( for all intents and purposes ) the same. There's no way in hell I can make a full identification of a plate, driver or occupant. It wouldn't make any difference any way as it is repeated on a daily basis along 30 km of that stretch in different locations. If you drive the ditches practically anywhere you will see the evidence.

How do I know they aren't Albertans is what I sense you are really getting at here.....
Well, most Albertans touring through the area don't have a predictable travel itinerary that coincides with the end of a workday. Plus a crew truck looks noticeably different than someone in a truck and holiday trailer or hauling a boat,etc.
I also doubt that it is a coincidence that the brand of beer is always one of two of the cheaper varieties that is obviously popular with these guys.
After 33 years of policing I am sure as hell not going to get my panties all in a knot over who is throwing cans out the windows of their moving vehicles, and start collecting and submitting cans for DNA analysis......
If that's how people want to treat the area they live in well so be it. All I can do is keep an eye open and clean up after them. Don't mistake my resignation on the subject with indifference. I'm certainly not going to call up the three primary logging companies doing work in that area and ask the multiple foremen's to have a word with all their employees because I said so.

If you re-read my post that you quoted you will see I told you what happens when you report illegal dumping in my neck of the woods - not a heck of alot except some good buck-passing.
Again, I sense you are questioning why I blame the locals.
Do you honestly think it is Albertans or folks from Saskatchewan or possibly the US driving down some of the roughest, poorly maintained forestry logging roads with a fridge, stove or couch they just happened to have with them on their recent holiday to BC?
I don't see many tourists dropping jugs of used oil off on the side roads either. You know as well as I do that this is the handywork of people who just don't give a damn and always take the shortest, cheapest, easiest path in life. And yes they are most certainly locals just like they are locals who do the same thing here in Alberta.
Some of those on the Community Forest committee have even set up trail cams in the hopes of finding who the culprits are, but while footage may show a vehicle fully loaded going up and empty coming down the quality of the images have never been satisfactory to adequately identify or prosecute.

So I hope my investigative work and powers of deduction have adequately satisfied your curiousity on the subject. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also feel free to provide your justification for stating earlier that "most problems we have seen caused in B.C. are by Albertans", whether you are concerned about it and what steps you've taken......
Maybe you have some valuable tips that I can learn from.

Oh, and I almost forgot to tell you, despite our differences of opinion on the subject, as far as I'm concerned you're ALWAYS welcome in Alberta !

Cheers !
Old 05-23-2020, 05:12 AM

[QUOTE=C2C3PO;4174388]I can't speak for where you live but I am right on the highway alongside Kootenay Lake.

I have been mowing lawn and seen the 3/4 ton trucks going by and split second later hear the "tink, tink, tink" of a beer can as it bounces along the shoulder into the ditch.

You must have super good hearing or a very quiet running lawn mower if you can hear the tink tink of a beer can rolling down into the ditch as your mowing the lawn

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 05-23-2020, 07:32 AM

I will add this to help clear up the confusion I have caused:

The frontage of my 75 acres has approx. 3 acres of grass that needs to be mowed.
Cutting grass for me involves picking up branches, large pine cones and deadfall along the property line first.
The entire task of "mowing lawn" can easily take 4-5 hours depending on how picky I am about the job I do.
It also involves plenty of breaks and pacing one self as portions near the fenceline require the use of a push mower to get into the tight spaces the riding mower cannot.
While I wouldn't consider myself to have super or exceptional hearing I am certainly not deaf by any means.
I also have found that generally speaking if I don't walk around with my head up my _ _ _ my hearing is less impeded as well.

As they say - I guess it's all in the details.

* Next chapter: "My Eyesight"....

Last edited by C2C3PO; 05-23-2020 at 07:53 AM.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage 13 View Post
Finally a good post. Most problems we have seen caused in B.C. are by Albertans. Trespassing, damage to property, theft, damage to the environment
one could go on and on So yes there may be a reason for some dislike. a look at one of the local B.C. papers shows some Albertans were at it again. All B.Cers are not saints either.
From someone who spent 3/4 of their life in BC your post is full of crap. I travel all over BC hunting, fishing and for work. I also lived in multiple regions. What I can say for a fact the biggest littering slobs and disrespect for the outdoors I have ever experienced was by those living in the southern 1/3 of BC combined with areas just outside PG. The amount of trash BC locals throw in the bush in some areas is insane. When clean ups in some locations exceeding 30tons of trash

I also found the level of trespassing and poaching far greater in BC. This is a big factor in why landowners in BC are less likely to grant permission. Some areas have become brutal. I have friends with large BC farms that have tons of stories of idiots trespassing, dumping trash, shooting livestock and poaching. This is an across BC issue

This is not people from Alberta and in many of theses areas there is not much for tourism from Alberta. I actually find the bush in Alberta has way less trash issues. Alberta still has idiot trespassers and poachers but not the same level I experienced living in BC

Start opening your eyes to where the problem is coming from in your own backyard and I bet it far exceeds what is done by all outside travelers combined

Let me guess you are from the Koots where the reputation for poor attitudes is legendary even amongst BC residents. Maybe even the infamous crazybrook area

I moved back to Alberta because I found their was less slobs and disrespectful people then I experienced in many regions of BC over the 20years I lived there
Old 05-23-2020, 09:32 AM

Maybe there's so much vitriol because half there population lives in some strange far out dream world where they've been conditioned to hate everything alberta is about since birth?