Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-16-2020, 08:27 AM

Thumbs up Anyone from red deer into gold panning and sluicing?

Just looking for people that are into it! I am but don’t have any other friends into it at all! Get at me if you’re interested in starting a group?? The sky is low but, the clouds are high!
Old 05-16-2020, 09:00 AM
Suspended User

My family does, but I don't get out often as shoveling ends with me in agony if I do much.
There is a bunch that work the gravel bar at Innisfail bridge. Unfortunately, most of them are doing so illegally, dumping their water and spills back into the river. Eventually someone is going to be made an example of, as the Fish and Wildlife service are now aware of the actual rules.
Old 05-16-2020, 09:52 AM

I have never done any panning in Alberta but did it with the kids in BC a few times. Never found anything beyond a little flecks that would not even cover the fuel burnt to go out. Kids thought they were getting rich though

What are the laws regarding panning in Alberta?

Would not mind getting the kids out to play in the river but don’t know the laws here
Old 05-16-2020, 10:06 AM

Not to derail;
A friend recently passed away and his wife will be selling his panning equipment.
I am not a panner myself, but if you PM me, maybe I can find out more details for you for you.

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 05-16-2020, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
I have never done any panning in Alberta but did it with the kids in BC a few times. Never found anything beyond a little flecks that would not even cover the fuel burnt to go out. Kids thought they were getting rich though

What are the laws regarding panning in Alberta?

Would not mind getting the kids out to play in the river but don’t know the laws here
If just panning, no motorized equipment, you are good to go anywhere in Alberta. It’s all little flecks here. I have spent over 100 hours panning and have accumulated almost $5.00 worth of gold dust.

It’s all just for fun until someone finds a nugget
Old 05-16-2020, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldsh View Post
If just panning, no motorized equipment, you are good to go anywhere in Alberta. It’s all little flecks here. I have spent over 100 hours panning and have accumulated almost $5.00 worth of gold dust.

It’s all just for fun until someone finds a nugget
So same rules

Hey we will never make any profit but it amused the kids and can buy me some extra fishing time lol
Old 05-16-2020, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish_guts View Post
Just looking for people that are into it! I am but don’t have any other friends into it at all! Get at me if you’re interested in starting a group?? The sky is low but, the clouds are high!
That is something I want to get into one day if I ever retire. Would love to go to the Yukon and do some placer but that’s big bucks to start. Can’t get enough of all those gold shows on TV but miss the Hoffman clan. They were good for a chuckle.
Old 05-16-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigsalot View Post
That is something I want to get into one day if I ever retire. Would love to go to the Yukon and do some placer but that’s big bucks to start. Can’t get enough of all those gold shows on TV but miss the Hoffman clan. They were good for a chuckle.
Just be aware it's a Reality show, not the real world.

http://www.emr.gov.yk.ca/mining/mode...er_mining.html

Grizz
Old 05-16-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Just be aware it's a Reality show, not the real world.

http://www.emr.gov.yk.ca/mining/mode...er_mining.html

Grizz
Lol. Yup I know about that. Some good reading on that link you posted.
Old 05-16-2020, 08:11 PM

Default Sunday??

Might take the pontoon down the river with a sluice some pans a lunch on Sunday if anyone is available. I have pans and an extra shovel. You bring your lunch and a floatation device!
Old 05-21-2020, 05:09 PM

Anyone down to pan this weekend??
Old 05-21-2020, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish_guts View Post
Anyone down to pan this weekend??
Stop posting. Making me jealous. Would love to live closer. Between fishing and panning...would have zero time left for eating and sleeping.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 05-23-2020, 06:31 AM

[QUOTE=Sundancefisher;4173710]Stop posting. Making me jealous. Would love to live closer. Between fishing and panning...would have zero time left for eating and sleeping.[/we’re heading out to sifleur falls on Sunday gonna bring a vortex Matt and a pan. Last year we went on a hike and found an old dried up creek bed that I’ve been dreaming about! Lol. I’ll check back and see if anyone is interested!