Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-12-2019, 05:38 PM

Default When is a lifetime warranty not a lifetime warranty?

When you buy Mastercrap tools from Comedian Tire!
My torque wrench started slipping so I brought it in for exchange and was told they no longer offer a lifetime warranty but as a good will gesture they would replace it.
Went on to to say I also wasn't going to get a new receipt or even any warranty at all on the new wrench!
Guess it doesn't matter I have the original manual and receipt saying lifetime warranty when the new ones have different part numbers and now carry a one year warranty.

Now that's a great policy and customer service!!
Old 04-12-2019, 05:56 PM

Default 30 seconds or thirty steps.

As soon as you walk out the door of Canadian tire the warranty is up.
Don’t even get me started!
Old 04-12-2019, 10:00 PM

Canadian Tire is the absolute worst. I will go to princess auto if I want cheap junk. At least I can take it back when it breaks
Old 04-13-2019, 07:55 AM

I just had it out with CT.. Battery charger printed right on charger 3 year warranty, on back made 12/16 , told them I do not have the receipt anymore. said they were sorry cant help me.(master craft product). call a manager please.. he come down says when you buy it. man I don't know <March of 17... how you pay..i don't know????. said you don't warranty the product, you only warranty the receipt..its says 3 years and it was made not bought on 12/19.. he gave me a new one.

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 04-13-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckCuller View Post
As soon as you walk out the door of Canadian tire the warranty is up.
Don’t even get me started!
In my experience, it depends on the store. I drive right past the one on Richmond Road in Calgary, 2 minutes from my house, to go to the one on Mcleod Trail. I have returned/exchanged/replaced several things there without a receipt. I even returned an item that I had no clue was "final sale" until I was in the return line...they never batted an eye.
Old 04-13-2019, 08:12 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

When you do t read the fine print.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-13-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond k View Post
Canadian Tire is the absolute worst. I will go to princess auto if I want cheap junk. At least I can take it back when it breaks
I have had no issues with them....on the counter broke go to isle and get new one....bing, bang, boom out the door.

Old 04-13-2019, 08:16 AM

Same for Tom Tom "life time" map upgrades. In their case it means only as long as they decide to support the software.

Grizz
Old 04-13-2019, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdb8440 View Post
In my experience, it depends on the store. I drive right past the one on Richmond Road in Calgary, 2 minutes from my house, to go to the one on Mcleod Trail. I have returned/exchanged/replaced several things there without a receipt. I even returned an item that I had no clue was "final sale" until I was in the return line...they never batted an eye.
Agree, the store here on 97 St and 158 ave Edmonton absolutely sucks. They are bad when you are buying something, insufferable if you try to return it. The one in St Albert is where I do all my shopping. You would never know they are the same outlet. Have complained to CT corporate twice about the bad one., not even a reply.

Say what you want about CT, but if you can find the right franchise owned store to deal with you still can't beat their prices on Duratrac tires and a few other things.
Old 04-13-2019, 08:25 AM

Thread reminds me of old Wholesale sports threads......

Retailers are having a rough time these days and Canadian tire is probably in better shape than many but i would be surprised if they are around in ten years.

With out them things will get expensive as they do carry some lower priced and lower quality items but they also keep prices down in the market place too.
Old 04-13-2019, 08:34 AM

Don't buy much at Comedian Tire but I did just return a shop vac that up n died this week to the west end store. It said 2Yr warranty on the box and I didn't recall when exactly I bought it except it was on sale and no receipt. Apparently it was a discontinued model, gave me a store credit no problem.
Old 04-13-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
Thread reminds me of old Wholesale sports threads......

Retailers are having a rough time these days and Canadian tire is probably in better shape than many but i would be surprised if they are around in ten years.

With out them things will get expensive as they do carry some lower priced and lower quality items but they also keep prices down in the market place too.
Spot on. If you are buying shares, buy Amazon and avoid CT, but it is going to suck when there are far fewer options for retail outlets left to shop at. People have no idea how different things will be, just look at what has happened to prices at Cabelas/Basspro since Wholesale went under.
Old 04-13-2019, 01:26 PM
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdb8440 View Post
In my experience, it depends on the store.
Yep. Bought a good set of tires (Grabbers) for the 4x4 from Canuck Tire.
Jump forward 2.5 years, and one has a slow leak.
Turned out the hole was right tight to the sidewall "not repairable".
My Lady insisted when I bought them that I picked up the 50 dollar extended warranty (a first for me, which I fought, but like all husbands, lost).

Their policy clearly states that if one of four on a 4x4 is non-repairable, they will replace the lot.
And that they did. Upgraded to next size up Duratracs all round.
Total cost with mounting, balancing etc was $ 130.00 ALL IN!

And yeah, I bought the extended warranty again...

Cheers,
Nog
Old 04-13-2019, 04:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATF View Post
My torque wrench started slipping so I brought it in for exchange and was told they no longer offer a lifetime warranty but as a good will gesture they would replace it.
Went on to to say I also wasn't going to get a new receipt or even any warranty at all on the new wrench!
Guess it doesn't matter I have the original manual and receipt saying lifetime warranty when the new ones have different part numbers and now carry a one year warranty.

Because there is no life time warranty
Old 04-13-2019, 05:08 PM

Yeah now a days the fine print is important but it didn't use to be that way with tools. Craftsman or Motocrap was sold to a lot of people because of the lifetime warranty and they used to make no bones about replacing something if it broke.
And being able to change the deal after the fact is what galls me.
For now some of their tools do still carry the lifetime warranty but that could change tomorrow so why bother buying from them?
But now a days these lifetime warranties state its the usable life of the product and the manufacturer determines that. So it could be 1 year or 30 days. Who knows.
I do know that Dean must be psychic because he nailed the store I went to. And yes they are the worst I have ever dealt with and I also complained about them to corporate before with nothing for a response.
Old 04-14-2019, 07:38 AM

Default Now that's a warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
Yep. Bought a good set of tires (Grabbers) for the 4x4 from Canuck Tire.
Jump forward 2.5 years, and one has a slow leak.
Turned out the hole was right tight to the sidewall "not repairable".
My Lady insisted when I bought them that I picked up the 50 dollar extended warranty (a first for me, which I fought, but like all husbands, lost).

Their policy clearly states that if one of four on a 4x4 is non-repairable, they will replace the lot.
And that they did. Upgraded to next size up Duratracs all round.
Total cost with mounting, balancing etc was $ 130.00 ALL IN!

And yeah, I bought the extended warranty again...

Cheers,
Nog

Old 04-14-2019, 03:54 PM

For most everyday things I have broke like wrenches and sockets ive never had a problem returning them. I broke a 7/16 ratchet wrench once, brough it in for replacement but they never had a single wrench available so they took one from a 12 pack and gave it to me.

Had a little welder I bought there once that crapped out. I had the reciept showing it was less than a year old. They offered to pay for the repairs but it was up to me to get it to the closesest authorized repair facility, in westlock. Told them im not driving to or shipping it to westlock so they gave me store credit for what I paid for it.

As far as warranty goes Newfie speed and sport is top notch in my opinion. Maybe ota diffwrent in bigger cities where the people working there dont know you.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
Old 04-14-2019, 04:31 PM

"lifetime warranty" means as much as " family pack "
its by their definition of lifetime and / or family pack .
kind of like a " life sentence " in canada .
Old 04-14-2019, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
For most everyday things I have broke like wrenches and sockets ive never had a problem returning them. I broke a 7/16 ratchet wrench once, brough it in for replacement but they never had a single wrench available so they took one from a 12 pack and gave it to me.

Had a little welder I bought there once that crapped out. I had the reciept showing it was less than a year old. They offered to pay for the repairs but it was up to me to get it to the closesest authorized repair facility, in westlock. Told them im not driving to or shipping it to westlock so they gave me store credit for what I paid for it.

As far as warranty goes Newfie speed and sport is top notch in my opinion. Maybe ota diffwrent in bigger cities where the people working there dont know you.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

I bought one of those little welders as well. It lasted all of 45 minutes before crapping out. They told me I would have to take in to be repaired but I would have to pay the $25 assessment fee at the repair depot. What a load of crap.

About 20 years ago I worked in the pits at one of those quick change oil places. I had bought one of their professional 3/8 drive ratchets to use at work. After a month the teeth on the ratchet had worn out. They claimed any professional use was considered to be abuse. What the F***!

My dog loves it when I get given gift cards to Cambodian Tire because I end up using the entire card to get him tenins balls because I can never justify buying anything that I expect to last there.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 04-14-2019, 09:12 PM

Default Cdn tire

A 36 inch Maximum 1/2 drive breaker bar.... snap. Here is your new one.

3/8 drive ratchet, stripped out. Here is your new one.

Never had an issue with their warranty.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
I bought one of those little welders as well. It lasted all of 45 minutes before crapping out. They told me I would have to take in to be repaired but I would have to pay the $25 assessment fee at the repair depot. What a load of crap.

About 20 years ago I worked in the pits at one of those quick change oil places. I had bought one of their professional 3/8 drive ratchets to use at work. After a month the teeth on the ratchet had worn out. They claimed any professional use was considered to be abuse. What the F***!

My dog loves it when I get given gift cards to Cambodian Tire because I end up using the entire card to get him tenins balls because I can never justify buying anything that I expect to last there.
How does the ratchet know if the bolt or nut is professional or amateur?
Old 04-15-2019, 03:17 AM

Have a buddy that LOVES that junk, and is constantly breaking them then will quickly say "thank god for the warranty"

I keep telling him he can buy MUCH better tools for the same price or not much more that won't break on him.

MasterCRAP - Powerfist, same/same. Powerfist might even be better
Old 04-15-2019, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATF View Post

Yep, this has been the case for a few years. The only thing mastercraft tools ever had going for them was the warranty, as one pretty much buys them expecting them to break at some point. With the warranty now worse than useless I cant see a single reason to waste one's money on that crap.

Worst purchase I ever made there... a oil filter socket that didn't fit any ratchet in the known universe. It was somewhere between a 3/8 and 1/2" drive... and no, they didn't want to take it back.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:01 PM

Default resurecting my thread from last year.

Well my new replacement torque wrench that is rated for 250ft-lbs broke tightening a bolt to 200ft-lbs on my trucks rear end.
Used that wrench 12 times in total to tighten lug nuts when swapping tires and maybe a couple times for a few other things. Until last weekend the highest torque setting I used was 165 but it was already starting to skip when ratcheting.
This canadian tire junk Lasted 13 months and carries a twelve month warranty which I don't have anyway because of their "goodwill".
Going to buy a CDI (division of SnapOn) and not look back. They're on sale right now for pretty decent prices.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:16 PM

At Ukrainian Tire before you buy it go to customer service and ask what the warranty is and get a printed receipt stating it. Got a question? Has Master Craft products always been made in WUHAN or there about's? Seems there is a pattern here with something called or with a name Canadian!!!
Old 05-22-2020, 09:20 PM

"When is a lifetime warranty not a lifetime warranty?"

Must be either when you die or the tool dies!!!!!!
Old 05-22-2020, 09:23 PM

ive taken back 4 of those super, unbreakable, no kink Bionic Hoses to CT

It starts to leak, i box it up and they swap it out

I dunno what the warranty is, but they give me a new one every time.