Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-24-2020, 07:11 PM

Default A Couple New Reels to add to the Collection

After talking to a Shimano Representative on the phone . I was explained that the new revamped Shimano Stradic FL series have many of the Stella internal parts and tolerances . I decided to pick up a couple different sizes . I'm totally impressed how smooth and tight these reels are. I find the appearance aesthetically pleasing . Heres to a new season. Tight lines all.

Last edited by Jawjacker; 04-24-2020 at 07:17 PM.
Old 04-25-2020, 06:38 AM

They are certainly nice reels. I added a couple of the Stradic Ci4+ reels to my rod locker this past off season as well.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 04-25-2020, 07:54 AM

Wait till you feel it in action!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-25-2020, 09:56 AM

I think the new Stradic is the best value for the money you can buy in a spinning reel. Maybe ever.

The quality and technology in them could only be had in the $1000 Stella just a few short years ago. I think they’re within a fraction of the quality of the current Sustain, and at a fraction of the price. I’m actually surprised that Shimano made them so good, it’ll definitely cut into the sales of the Sustain and even the Stella. They must be banking on more people stepping up a price bracket or two to buy the Stradics.

You are going to LOVE them.
Old 04-25-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
They are certainly nice reels. I added a couple of the Stradic Ci4+ reels to my rod locker this past off season as well.
Thanks SamSteele . I sure am looking forward to using them. I have one Ci4+reel in a 2500 series matched up with a GLoomis IMX . Absolutley love it.
A couple of my buddies use them for ice fishing. They swear by them saying they hardly ever freeze up. They nick name the Ci4+ as the "Cold Lake Cracker"

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophyhunter View Post
Wait till you feel it in action!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can't wait Thanks trophyhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
I think the new Stradic is the best value for the money you can buy in a spinning reel. Maybe ever.

The quality and technology in them could only be had in the $1000 Stella just a few short years ago. I think they’re within a fraction of the quality of the current Sustain, and at a fraction of the price. I’m actually surprised that Shimano made them so good, it’ll definitely cut into the sales of the Sustain and even the Stella. They must be banking on more people stepping up a price bracket or two to buy the Stradics.

You are going to LOVE them.
Thank you soo much Walleyedude for that explanation and comparisons of the Stradic FL to other Shimanos. Sure makes me feel real good on my purchase when I read words like this.
Old 04-26-2020, 03:53 PM

The Stella is top of the food chain, and an outstanding reel without compromise. For almost $1000 - one would expect the best.

I have a few Sustain ($400ish) and a few Stradic series ($300ish) and am very happy with the quality. Shimano makes great spinning reels in that middle price point.

And, for fathers day a few years ago, My wife bought me a Stella ..... which is amazing but, in my opinion, almost indescribable (in performance) for 99% of the fishing you do.

The Stella drag is, however, very smooth - no jerky breaks, just delicate like some of the higher end Abu Garcia products (they have outstanding drags -maybe the best $/$ ).

May not be a great marketing and product line strategy for Shimano - but hey - enjoy it ... this is great news for us consumers if they are doing that.

Enjoy it - Shimano is a solid product and anything they make that comes out of Japan is top notch (some cheaper product lines are made elsewhere I think).
Old 05-21-2020, 11:43 AM

Hi Jawjacker - i'm in the market for a new reel and was seriously looking at the FL 3000 and was curious why you chose the 2500 over the 3000? Also, during your search for a new reel, did you look at the Ci4+s vs FLs? Appreciate your insight.
Old 05-21-2020, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB Archer View Post
Hi Jawjacker - i'm in the market for a new reel and was seriously looking at the FL 3000 and was curious why you chose the 2500 over the 3000? Also, during your search for a new reel, did you look at the Ci4+s vs FLs? Appreciate your insight.
I can offer my thoughts.

I chose the 2500 because I much prefer the smaller paddle shaped handle to the larger knob on the 3000. I also don't really need the added line capacity of the 3000.

I used the CI4+ and FL back to back last weekend, and the I prefer the FL. It's just "smoother". Everything about it is a just a little bit better than the CI4, with the exception of weight, but it's such a small difference, it's worth it in my opinion. Add in the fact the FL is cheaper, and I don't think you can go wrong.
Old 05-21-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
I can offer my thoughts.

I chose the 2500 because I much prefer the smaller paddle shaped handle to the larger knob on the 3000. I also don't really need the added line capacity of the 3000.

I used the CI4+ and FL back to back last weekend, and the I prefer the FL. It's just "smoother". Everything about it is a just a little bit better than the CI4, with the exception of weight, but it's such a small difference, it's worth it in my opinion. Add in the fact the FL is cheaper, and I don't think you can go wrong.
I appreciate your opinion sir.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
Old 05-21-2020, 01:59 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

did someone mention 1k for a reel? Oh my....that sucker better catch, clean, cook the fish and do the dishes....I can get a 50 buck reel and a nice woman for that price

I know I might not catch with my cheap reel but at least I got someone to cuddle with

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-21-2020, 02:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
did someone mention 1k for a reel? Oh my....that sucker better catch, clean, cook the fish and do the dishes....I can get a 50 buck reel and a nice woman for that price

I know I might not catch with my cheap reel but at least I got someone to cuddle with
If you got a $950 reel and a $50 woman I’m not sure if you’d catch anything with the reel but I can almost guarantee you’ll catch something with the woman
Old 05-21-2020, 06:19 PM

The Stradic FL is on my wish list. What is the best price you have seen for it? If I see it at that price again may have to jump on it.
Old 05-21-2020, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post

I hear you load and clear 58thecat but that nice woman your going to pick up is going to cost you a lot more than $1000.over the years .

I just want to know where to get one of these reels .
Old 05-21-2020, 10:31 PM

I have a Stradic FG and an FK and now also own an FL. I just bought it to replace a cheap reel I used for guests that died. Both my previous Stradics are fabulous reels and I keep hearing about how much better the FL is so I am pumped to try it. The one thing though, the wood handle on the old FG seems so much classier than the plastic ones on the newer reels, but oh well - progress.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:34 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
I hear you load and clear 58thecat but that nice woman your going to pick up is going to cost you a lot more than $1000.over the years .

I just want to know where to get one of these reels .
30 years at 1k a day/night....yup she costs me a lot....man coulda had a heck'of'a nice rig....oh well

Use to run Mitchel 300's back in the day but then they got cheap...turned into pure crap

like this product;
https://www.pfluegerfishing.com/pflu...pinning-reels/

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...