Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-23-2009, 01:49 PM

Default Bistcho lake. tapawingo lodge

wondering if anyone has fished up at tapawingo lodge on bistcho lake. we have a trip for 12 guys booked in june. can't find much info on the lake. have seen some big pike pictures and thats about it. looking for info on what gear to bring for pike and walleye. will mostly be trying to hunt down a trophy pike. there is a 50 pound weight limit on the plane so i can't bring everything i want to. also if its worth bringing a small fish finder. don't know what kind of structure is up there. any help would be great.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:52 PM

I was up there once during the commercial fish. I never had a chance to try fishing as we were working but I can say there are some monsters in there!! Good luck on the trip!!!
Old 03-23-2009, 02:34 PM
Gone Hunting

Fished there a few years ago in June. Go to the tackle store and buy the biggest plugs you can find pink and chartreuse worked best when we were there, the bigger the better. Fish Finder is great due to the lake itself, goes from deep to shallow very quickly, we used a GPS to navigate thru' the rocks going North and West of the Lodge. Also, if you are a flyfisher take along largest mouse lookig flies you can find, great fun at midnight in the shallow bays. Have Fun.... it's great
Old 03-23-2009, 04:34 PM

what type of fish and what kind of price is a trip like this per guy
Old 03-23-2009, 05:26 PM

it works out to about 700 a guy. fly out of high level. 3 nights.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:32 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardfromedson View Post
it works out to about 700 a guy. fly out of high level. 3 nights.
GREAT TIME!!!!!....you will not be disappointed....don't forget the essentials for a shore lunch...
Old 03-23-2009, 05:58 PM

You still have room? If I can find my garden hose to wash the sand out I think I can swing it. 50 pounds might be a hard pill to swallow. What will I wear?

Last edited by Rob Miskosky; 03-23-2009 at 06:05 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:11 PM

Have been up to Tapawingo 11 yrs in a row when Jack owned it and have been up once since Steve and Debbie have owned it,fishing is fantastic,we'll be there in june as well 8th -12,bring lot's of len thompson's five of diamonds,they worked every time i have been there,you can throw alot of expensive lures out there but we always go back to the FODiamonds,bring good rain gear,and a good fry pan for shore lunch or if your up there the same time we are join us on 1 of the islands for lunch.
grizz
Old 03-23-2009, 07:15 PM

We were there 2 years ago for my buddies bach party {he's named after Steve so we were looked after well}. Ended up being a bit early as half the lake was covered in ice {late May} but even I had no problem catching fish, which is a feat upon itself. Didn't matter what I threw out there they were biting it.

Some of the boys went back last year and had a great time as well.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin07 View Post
You still have room? If I can find my garden hose to wash the sand out I think I can swing it. 50 pounds might be a hard pill to swallow. What will I wear?

ya you should come. some guys can't make it so we need a few more. if we get our deposit in by the end of the month we can get our booze taken up before we go so we can take more weight on the plane.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:58 AM

Get yourself some good quality leaders. I would think about 20-24 inch.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
ya you should come. some guys can't make it so we need a few more. if we get our deposit in by the end of the month we can get our booze taken up before we go so we can take more weight on the plane.
I'll run it past the warden tonight. What are the exact dates? You know women, she has every weekend planned until june 2011. I'll be chaped if I can't go. I hope the fishing is better than last weekend...
Old 03-24-2009, 11:12 AM
guidehunt

if your into fly fishing bring up a 8or9 wt flyrod and some 6to8in streamers you will have a blast
Old 03-24-2009, 11:23 AM

Been up there for the last 3 years around christmas time. Fantastic accomodations, beautiful location. They have basically everything there already; stove/oven, utensils, pots and pans, cards, cribbage boards. Basically bring your own sleeping gear, fishing gear, and a little bit of food,(you will have fish to eat), and you're set. oh yah, and skeeter spray.

While i can't speak specifically to the fishing there in the summer, i'm from up here, and if you have a five of diamonds or orange devil, (white with orange stripe), you can't go wrong for pike. also caught my first burbot up there this year, which was a heck of a good eat!
Old 03-24-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
I'll run it past the warden tonight. What are the exact dates? You know women, she has every weekend planned until june 2011. I'll be chaped if I can't go. I hope the fishing is better than last weekend...
june 25-28. thurs to sun. what was wrong with the fishing last weekend? i got like 25 or 30.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
june 25-28. thurs to sun. what was wrong with the fishing last weekend? i got like 25 or 30.
Some guide you are, out fishing the guest's. Should have known. momma is out for the night but I'll figure it out in the next day or so. I'm thinking a Salamo white fish on 20lb braid with a leader will work. Then again a 5 o diamonds seems to get the vote....
Old 03-24-2009, 06:04 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Some guide you are, out fishing the guest's. Should have known. momma is out for the night but I'll figure it out in the next day or so. I'm thinking a Salamo white fish on 20lb braid with a leader will work. Then again a 5 o diamonds seems to get the vote....
for a laugh...we attached a treble (yes!!!!!,barbless) to an old spark plug...bang!!!...4 #'er...it's great get used to 3 guys in the boat with double and triple hook-ups...flyfishing late at night w/streamers is the best....
Old 03-24-2009, 06:17 PM

Quote:
if your going to the fishn hole sale at the mayfield with rick call me if you see a cheap 8wt fly rod/reel. i think that would be fun up there.. anyone have any tips for the walleye up there??
Old 03-24-2009, 06:22 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
if your going to the fishn hole sale at the mayfield with rick call me if you see a cheap 8wt fly rod/reel. i think that would be fun up there.. anyone have any tips for the walleye up there??
find the drop by the shore....insert hook
Old 05-21-2020, 09:12 AM

Hey guys, anyone been in the last couple years? We are looking at going mid Jun this year
Old 05-21-2020, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
Hey guys, anyone been in the last couple years? We are looking at going mid Jun this year
Haven’t been there since Jack halverson owned it.
But some buddies went up ice fishing this winter just for the day, and caught a few absolute tanks. No measurements just photos on Facebook. But they were every bit in the 42-46” range.
Old 05-21-2020, 05:57 PM

Have been there lots when Jack owned it was a great time and a great host, was there one e with Steve and we won't go back
Old 05-21-2020, 08:09 PM

A lot of lakes I have been to make you throw the big fish back in and only allowed to keep the smaller guys ,this way all the fishermen that travel up there can have a chance to catch big fish.
Old 06-25-2020, 08:18 AM

Just a quick update, we were up at Bistcho over the father day weekend. We flew out of Didsbury which was nice bonus with living in Calgary, 3 hour flight and we were there. By the time we got onto the water it was like 26 degrees, fishing was slow that day, caught a few. The next morning we were catching a bunch of both Walleye and Pike. Had a great few days, ate a ton of Walleye each day and able to bring our limits home no problem. A few 40" Pike made it into the boat for photo ops before being returned back to entertain a someone another day.
My dad (81) was with us as well, Steve went out of his way to ensure dad was comfortable. Often there to offer a drive back up the the hill to the camp.
Overall a great trip.