Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-22-2016, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevlak View Post
This is where the people of homestead have come because it closed down. They will close crown land shooting when someone gets hurt or someone gets shot at and complains. I give it a year or two. It's getting real bad out there fast.

Kevin
How bout we blame the idiots that are out there shooting everything up and leaving their garbage everywhere. What was an awesome free public range(Homestead) got shut down because of idiots. Now those same idiots are working hard as they can to see that shooting also gets banned on crown land.

We have to rid the shooting community of the mentally challenged firearms owners that are ruining and causing our sport to be curtailed. Saying the mess and dangerous activity happening on crown land is a result of shooting ranges being closed is a cop out and gives idiot gun owners a free get out of jail card to continue their activities. Rallying the government to give idiots a place to shoot to keep them off public land makes little sense and will never happen. They tried that with Homestead, the idiots caused it to be closed as it was unsafe and a disgusting mess. The idiots need to be removed. Once removed the problem goes away, we could carry on shooting responsibly, safely and cleanly on crown land and everyone could be happy.

The government would not be contemplating taking away our crown land shooting rights, wouldn't even be an issue, we wouldn't even talking about it on this forum if it were not for idiots. Homestead today would be a nice tidy clean safe shooting range if the idiots didn't ruin it. The only solution is to get rid of the idiots, not make excuses for them.
Old 04-22-2016, 05:17 PM

As long as there are places for idiots to be idiots, they will use them. You can't police every piece of crown land, so you'll never remove or control all the idiots. Banning "target" shooting on crown land is sadly the only way to deal with it. So thank you very much all you idiots, you ruined it for everyone.
Old 04-22-2016, 05:34 PM

The solution is to ban shooting on Crown land. If you abuse it, you lose it.

Can't afford a range membership? Too bad for you.

Don't want to follow the rules at a range? Too bad for you.
Old 04-23-2016, 09:31 AM

Default Sheesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep dog View Post

We really are our own worst enemies.
Old 04-23-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep dog View Post

Ban guns mkay?
Old 04-23-2016, 03:35 PM

That was likely out of frustration, however people really need to move to safer, cleaner, more well thought out shooting in the back country quickly or yes, they will lose it.
Old 04-23-2016, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
That was likely out of frustration, however people really need to move to safer, cleaner, more well thought out shooting in the back country quickly or yes, they will lose it.
Good start would be, if you see this **** happening, document and report it. Pics and a license plate go a long ways.

Grizz
Old 04-23-2016, 10:49 PM

Took coworker shooting out near Mesa Butte area. He was surprised when I told him we are picking up all our shells. It's amazing people just think it's ok to leave their junk out there. Was his first time shooting so I set him straight.

We ended bringing back more then we took in. Went back a week later and was tons more junk everywhere.

On the bright side I saw some other people shooting while standing on a tarp. Great idea there.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalan View Post
Took coworker shooting out near Mesa Butte area. He was surprised when I told him we are picking up all our shells. It's amazing people just think it's ok to leave their junk out there. Was his first time shooting so I set him straight.

We ended bringing back more then we took in. Went back a week later and was tons more junk everywhere.

On the bright side I saw some other people shooting while standing on a tarp. Great idea there.
Bit of a side note and not obvious to a lot of people. Plastic shot wads are non biodegradable and tend to pile up in the popular shooting areas. Found a bunch over the years.

Grizz
Old 04-24-2016, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Bit of a side note and not obvious to a lot of people. Plastic shot wads are non biodegradable and tend to pile up in the popular shooting areas. Found a bunch over the years.

Grizz
You are not really cleaning up after yourself unless you remove the wads and all target remains, in addition to the empty hulls. Even biodegradable clays take two years or more to break down.
Old 04-24-2016, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Un detonated grenades!

Even at Wainwright that's tough to find.

Grade A reporting right there.
lol. I think there may even be WMD's.

I thought Tower Rd in Fort Mac was the only place dip****s burned out old vehicles and left garbage around...pigs.
Old 04-24-2016, 08:26 AM
Banned

Some of you guys willing to bend over to the government by saying the only solution to the problem is by banning target shooting on crown land disgusts me. I believe there are a lot more respectful target shooters out there that clean their mess up than people think and I am one of them. We are barely noticed because we respect the lands and clean our mess up along with using our firearms responsibly.
I don't use a shooting range, nor will I ever use a shooting range and I spend probably twice the amount that a range membership costs to enjoy this outdoor freedom.

The freedom to use your firearms in the back country and crown land are some of the only allowable freedoms we as firearms enthusiasts have left. It is true people will abuse this freedom but the same can be said with every other aspect that involves freedom to make your own decisions. If you bend over and conform you might as well just give up your freedom to hunt as well because that is their next step after you giving in to your other freedoms without a fight and you might as well just continue to go to your stupid shooting ranges in a building . Some respect was just lost here.
Old 04-24-2016, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ View Post
Some of you guys willing to bend over to the government by saying the only solution to the problem is by banning target shooting on crown land disgusts me. I believe there are a lot more respectful target shooters out there that clean their mess up than people think and I am one of them. We are barely noticed because we respect the lands and clean our mess up along with using our firearms responsibly.
I don't use a shooting range, nor will I ever use a shooting range and I spend probably twice the amount that a range membership costs to enjoy this outdoor freedom.

The freedom to use your firearms in the back country and crown land are some of the only allowable freedoms we as firearms enthusiasts have left. It is true people will abuse this freedom but the same can be said with every other aspect that involves freedom to make your own decisions. If you bend over and conform you might as well just give up your freedom to hunt as well because that is their next step after you giving in to your other freedoms without a fight and you might as well just continue to go to your stupid shooting ranges in a building . Some respect was just lost here.
I am not saying that I think target shooting on public land should be banned, but I think that it will be banned in the future due to the actions of the idiots that don't act responsibly. Of course you are correct that the safe, responsible people seldom get noticed, but the fact is that most legislation gets passed because of the actions of the minority of people that do get noticed.

As far as your comment about stupid shooting ranges in a building, you are correct in that some respect was lost. Are you really that naive to believe that most people that shoot at ranges shoot in buildings?
Old 04-24-2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:

Big +1

The solution is not to just lay down and accept our "fate" that all the fear-mongering liberals would impose on us by taking away the freedom to use (our) public land for the recreational purpose of our choice. The solution is to crack down on the people responsible for the damage, littering, and unsafe activity. Increase the number of CO's out there and start handing out tickets. Just the increased presence of CO's would likely reduce the number of idiots out there.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:25 AM
Banned

My dislike for shooting ranges runs deep because of the restrictions they stand for and just one of many restraints put in place over the decades. My hatred for ranges started long before I owned my first firearm while growing up with a grandfather that was an active outdoors enthusiast and firearms lover. I remember him telling me stories of the families outings into the back country where he had his pistols with him and the freedom to use them in these places and he said firearms were meant to be used outdoors and not in cement cubicals in buildings, granted you can still use them outdoors under restraint and restriction. One of his great passions was whipped out when these restrictions were put in place and his handguns were tucked away in an old trunk in hopes for a better government and day when these stupid restrictions would be lifted. He passed away and his hand guns still sat in that old trunk with only more restrictions put in place. Slowly by slowly we have less and less freedom and every single new step of restraint is killing our freedom, love and passion for being able to use them in the back country and on crown land. I refuse to let one more fricken type of restriction be put in place with out a fight, tooth and nail to make sure nothing more is lost when it comes to firearms restriction. Don't sit back and let them take anymore freedoms away without a fight because if you do the only place you will be able to view guns are in a museum. Sad but very true...
Old 04-24-2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:
My dislike for shooting ranges runs deep because of the restrictions they stand for and just one of many restraints put in place over the decades. My hatred for ranges started long before I owned my first firearm while growing up with a grandfather that was an active outdoors enthusiast and firearms lover. I remember him telling me stories of the families outings into the back country where he had his pistols with him and the freedom to use them in these places and he said firearms were meant to be used outdoors and not in cement cubicals in buildings, granted you can still use them outdoors under restraint and restriction. One of his great passions was whipped out when these restrictions were put in place and his handguns were tucked away in an old trunk in hopes for a better government and day when these stupid restrictions would be lifted. He passed away and his hand guns still sat in that old trunk with only more restrictions put in place. Slowly by slowly we have less and less freedom and every single new step of restraint is killing our freedom, love and passion for being able to use them in the back country and on crown land. I refuse to let one more fricken type of restriction be put in place with out a fight, tooth and nail to make sure nothing more is lost when it comes to firearms restriction. Don't sit back and let them take anymore freedoms away without a fight because if you do the only place you will be able to view guns are in a museum. Sad but very true...
Just curious but how many letters have you written to your MLA, your MP, or the PM concerning our firearms laws? I have written dozens over the years, and I would like to think that the long gun registry being abolished, and the common sense firearms bill being introduced were the results of many people like myself taking the time to write those individuals. Unfortunately, the vast majority of firearms owners choose to complain to each other, and on forums like this, but they never take the time to contact the people that can actually make a difference. And just for your information, many of the people writing those letters, are range members, and many of them volunteer their time to introduce new shooters to the sport, at those ranges. And the ranges that most of us shoot at, are outdoors, they aren't in buildings.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:45 AM

Quote:

Nobody said they were willing to bend over and let crown land be closed to public shooting. But if we don't do something, it will happen. And yes, the majority of recreational shooters are respectful.
Set examples, for one thing. Organize a group with similar interests and go out to Ghost Valley and do a clean-up. I'll bet if there were a few garbage (barrels?) out there, most people would use them. Pick up garbage and shotshell hulls, etc. whenever you see them. Just because someone else left it behind doesn't mean you can't pick it up. Show other people that they should care.
Last summer I went to a popular local shooting spot with my daughter and her family (a gravel pit). Some young people were already there and had done some shooting. They had left a lot of shotshell hulls laying about and were getting ready to leave. We spoke briefly and then I began to pick up a few of their hulls. Without commenting on it, they all began picking up their hulls, and in just a minute or so, they had cleaned up all their mess before leaving. Generally, people will do the right thing. Sometimes they just need reminding. Of course, there will always be a few idiots who will never get it. In most cases, alcohol is a factor.
Most of the restrictions we have today are the result of the actions of a careless few.

Last edited by gunluvr; 04-24-2016 at 09:55 AM.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:46 AM

Quote:

My BS meter just went into the red with this post.

Has anyone else's?

There are no absolutes
Old 04-24-2016, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Your hatred for shooting ranges based on the fact that we have had restricted firearms laws since the 30's is totally unfounded .
Organized shooting and shooting ranges in general were around long before that.
Cat
Old 04-24-2016, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Some of us like to shoot weekly or sometimes 2 or three times a week. I don't have time or money to drive all the way out in the wilderness when I want to shoot after work and supper on wednesday night. I've never shot at an indoor range, just at a range where I can shoot safely just outside town where bears, deer, moose, and other critters hang out, with backboards to put targets on and benches to shoot from when working up a load to shoot tight little groups, or to sit around and spin yarns with other like minded people between rounds of trap.

You should try it sometime.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
My BS meter just went into the red with this post.

Has anyone else's?
Interesting, now that you mention it