Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-21-2016, 06:44 PM

Default Global News - Target Shooting in the Ghost Valley

Anybody see this on Global tonight? I don't think it will be much longer before target shooting is practically banned on crown land. It's amazing that people just can't pick up afterwards.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2655045/li...owing-concern/
Old 04-21-2016, 06:56 PM

I hate it when people litter. I've been crow hunting a fair bit this spring and I seem to come home with far more empty shotgun hulls than I shoot. I also hate going into a nice area to see the ground littered with orange fragments from clay targets. It seems to take years for these items to break down. That being said, the government should recognize the need for more affordable shooting ranges.
Old 04-21-2016, 06:58 PM

Quote:
The Ghost Valley is vulnerable to vandals and has been the chosen spot for impromptu shooting ranges. As Jill Croteau reports, there were 3 separate fires triggered all at the same time by irresponsible users.
A black eye for us all.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
A black eye for us all.
Saw the piece. Unfortunately we all get tarred with the same brush. People doing the talking just wanted more enforcement, can't blame em.

Grizz
Old 04-21-2016, 08:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
Anybody see this on Global tonight? I don't think it will be much longer before target shooting is practically banned on crown land.
Yup. And have been saying that for a while now, it's going to happen. It's only a matter of time.

What I find funny is no one ever knows who is doing this crap, but yet it is happening everywhere on Alberta crown land from the south to the north. It's far more than just a few bad apples.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:45 PM

Homestead was only the start, as long as the idiots keep leaving a mess,more and more areas will be closed to shooting.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
I hate it when people litter. I've been crow hunting a fair bit this spring and I seem to come home with far more empty shotgun hulls than I shoot. I also hate going into a nice area to see the ground littered with orange fragments from clay targets. It seems to take years for these items to break down. That being said, the government should recognize the need for more affordable shooting ranges.
The government?

You seriously don't want this government involved with anything to do with firearms other than doing enforcement on the slobs and the pigs that are making the mess.

Private enterprise should be all over this to make a buck. How many shooters are in the greater Calgary area and how many can the existing ranges accommodate?
Old 04-21-2016, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPS View Post
The government?

You seriously don't want this government involved with anything to do with firearms other than doing enforcement on the slobs and the pigs that are making the mess.

Private enterprise should be all over this to make a buck. How many shooters are in the greater Calgary area and how many can the existing ranges accommodate?
Ok....someone build ranges to help keep the crap out of the back country.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:42 PM
Banned

What they are saying to me is that Alberta needs better enforcement and not by banning target shooting on public land. People do need to clean their mess up yes but where no enforcement is present people who don't care will run wild in any aspect. Simple fix and a solution $10.000 fine for littering and enforce it !
Old 04-22-2016, 01:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ View Post
Simple fix and a solution $10.000 fine for littering and enforce it !
Wont happen.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:31 AM

Un detonated grenades!

Even at Wainwright that's tough to find.

Grade A reporting right there.

There are no absolutes
Old 04-22-2016, 06:06 AM

Them hillbillies like to shoot them guns.

This mess is almost routine in Wild Rose country, sadly...

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...50#post2944750

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=255186
Old 04-22-2016, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Ok....someone build ranges to help keep the crap out of the back country.
Good luck getting a government or municipality to spend money building a range anywhere near a big city full of anti gun supporters. They want to close existing ranges, not open new ones. And most private groups won't risk the money, because of the threat of local residents complaining and having the range closed down in a few years. And even if private ranges were built, some people will not join, because they either won't pay the membership fee, or they won't accept the range safety rules. Some people just don't want to shoot unless they can shoot whatever they want, and have a few beers while they shoot.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:29 AM

Quote:
What they are saying to me is that Alberta needs better enforcement and not by banning target shooting on public land. People do need to clean their mess up yes but where no enforcement is present people who don't care will run wild in any aspect. Simple fix and a solution $10.000 fine for littering and enforce it !
Even a thousand dollar fine heavily enforced would help cut down on all littering. It wouldnt stop all the scum from littering, but probably help cut down on some of it.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:13 AM

[QUOTE=shep dog;3209552]Them hillbillies like to shoot them guns.

This mess is almost routine in Wild Rose country, sadly...

Yes it is. Building more shooting ranges will not attract the shooters that go out on crown land, shoot it up and leave their mess and vandalism. These jackwads do not want to follow rules and range safety guidelines. First they don't want to spend money on memberships when it is better spent on cases of cheap shells. Second these people have a desire to go into full idiot mode with their guns, they want to shoot the crap out of stuff, blow up things, shoot trees off, fences, computers, engine blocks and every other conceivable object that they would not be allowed to shoot at a proper shooting range.

Guaranteed some of the dimwits that do this type of thing are also members of this forum.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Homestead was only the start, as long as the idiots keep leaving a mess,more and more areas will be closed to shooting.
Some of the abandoned cartridge cases they showed, appeared to be handgun calibers.

Grizz
Old 04-22-2016, 08:44 AM

Quote:
That being said, the government should recognize the need for more affordable shooting ranges.
That is not necessarily the problem.

People that do this don't want to pay anything, yet they can afford all the tannerite and ammo/guns. There are a few gun ranges that are about 125-250/yr around Calgary. Some of which have or do have openings at certain times of the year that aren't being filled.

They simply don't want to go somewhere that you have to follow rules and clean up.

Some people on this forum are to blame. They just don't think they are part of the problem.

Oh yea, and that first image of that video with the shotgun hull? There is a trail that goes up the left side and along the ridge of that hill. Think that stops any shooters? They can't say they didn't know....

I am a back country shooter every once and awhile when I don't go to the range. I am also a OHV user. I have a huge problem with 90% of the people shooting at Ghost or Mclean. Few do it correctly. Most set-up targets on trees, few to none clean-up after themselves, and many shoot in very unsafe directions.

Last edited by Quinn; 04-22-2016 at 08:50 AM.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:48 AM

Default No excuse

but i have rifles that shoot pistol calibres, and I shoot them often. This is far from excusing any illegal activity, but before the pistol firing mindset gets set in because of some found casings, it's something to consider.

The blatant disregard from slobs and losers at 'shooting' areas blows my mind. What is wrong with their mindsets?
Old 04-22-2016, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Some of the abandoned cartridge cases they showed, appeared to be handgun calibers.

Grizz
I shoot 357mag out of a rifle, other rifles shoot 9mm or 45acp, so the case does not prove what firearm it was fired in.

That being said, I have found 45acp casings at my previous trap range, where only shotguns were allowed, and where firing a handgun or rifle towards the highway would have presented a serious safety concern. We didn't have the cameras up and running at the time, or there would have been some lifetime prohibitions, and the RCMP would have been involved, as well as a report to the CFO.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:32 AM

Just watched the video.

1) Why do shooters even bother doing what they are doing while the camera is there? Why not wait till they were done, or not help by providing them with substance for their videos.
2) Anybody notice the lack of trees? I noticed they were doing a good job showing the beauty of the valley that once was, but is no longer. The area is being logged out at an alarming rate. Different issue I know.
3) The vandalism is a separate issue.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
I sense a big douche nozzle crackdown-smackdown is about to occur in the Ghost. A couple of the people in the "news" story have a way of making these things happen.

Go for it girls and boys - you have my full support.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:43 AM

a lot of people relied on homestead . the crowds there were at a peak when they closed it , no surprise what is happening . I have been asked by a few as to where can we go shoot on private land but that I will reserve for myself and guys I hunt with . A public range with volunteer clean up crews is a possible way to lessen pressure on forestry IMO
Old 04-22-2016, 10:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post

That being said, I have found 45acp casings at my previous trap range, where only shotguns were allowed, and where firing a handgun or rifle towards the highway would have presented a serious safety concern.

We didn't have the cameras up and running at the time, or there would have been some lifetime prohibitions, and the RCMP would have been involved, as well as a report to the CFO.
Hahaha... Until it was discovered that someone used an insert in their SxS or O/U.

Old 04-22-2016, 10:30 AM

Quote:
I sense a big douche nozzle crackdown-smackdown is about to occur in the Ghost. A couple of the people in the "news" story have a way of making these things happen.

Betting there is some tie in to the anti logging movement here somewhere. They're pretty fanatical, just read the Cochrane paper.

Grizz
Old 04-22-2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN_R1 View Post
Hahaha... Until it was discovered that someone used an insert in their SxS or O/U.

Only shotshells using shot in sizes #7-1/2 and smaller are allowed on the trap/skeet fields. It doesn't matter what gun you shoot them out of , single projectile ammunition is prohibited. I also realize that you can buy 45acp shot loads, but these appeared to be military loads with the sealed primers. If someone had actually gone to the trouble of loading these cases with shot, I doubt that they would have bothered sealing the primers.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Betting there is some tie in to the anti logging movement here somewhere. They're pretty fanatical, just read the Cochrane paper.

Grizz
Same NIMBY people. I used to live in the area. They had patrols along the Waiparous River and would tell people fishing they were trespassing and read some BS scripted letter to them citing made up laws.

Every year about this time before the long weekend they start to get all jittery and call the press about all the campers, ATVs, and the vandals. They talk alot but I have never seen them out helping to clean up or really do anything constructive.

I knew a couple weeks ago when the forest fire at the "range" started, they would get active.

They are good at identifying a problem, ie the garbage, the logging, ATVs etc, but light on any real solution.

Last edited by Puma; 04-22-2016 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-22-2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:

I've camped in the Ghost Valley for years and can say since the road has been fixed it is attracting all sorts of less than respectful users as of late. I also think that with the amount of CO's in there last summer handing out tickets the province is just gathering material to support a crackdown in the area. I've got a feeling that area is going to have it's list of uses trimmed down in the near future.
Old 04-22-2016, 12:19 PM

Quote:

Grizz
Ya, there at it too, along with the watershed people.

The ranchers and the MD are also in on it - so it have a lot more punch.

Industry also kicks in dough - so the government will have to show some token action.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedive View Post
I've camped in the Ghost Valley for years and can say since the road has been fixed it is attracting all sorts of less than respectful users as of late. I also think that with the amount of CO's in there last summer handing out tickets the province is just gathering material to support a crackdown in the area. I've got a feeling that area is going to have it's list of uses trimmed down in the near future.
This is where the people of homestead have come because it closed down. They will close crown land shooting when someone gets hurt or someone gets shot at and complains. I give it a year or two. It's getting real bad out there fast.

Kevin
Old 04-22-2016, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevlak View Post
This is where the people of homestead have come because it closed down. They will close crown land shooting when someone gets hurt or someone gets shot at and complains. I give it a year or two. It's getting real bad out there fast.

Kevin
I had a idiot driving down the road with a sks shooting at nothing really and sent 5 over my head while I was out there last summer. I wasn't very pleased when it happened and by the time I finished hiding and got back to the truck they were gone and couldn't catch up to them. So yeah it's only a matter of time and I have given up camping in my favorite area as a result. Not taking my family out to a place with so many people in the area that don't know how to set up a target safely. Myself and probably a lot of other people need to get better at voicing a concern with most of these guys when they are doing stupid stuff.