Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-24-2016, 02:00 AM
Banned

I'm new to reloading (-6 months), and find this works for me...

- buy 2 or 3 lbs of different powders that are useable for multiple bullet weights and/or show good performance based on stats & other people's experience.

(I have RL-15 / Varget / IMR 4064 & 4350, but only load for .243win)

- I load-develop based on using a powder that almost fills the case, and the fact my rifles previous loads usually has the best results with the highest velocities possible.

(2 different powders may have the same recommended "max load" of say 40 grains, but will have MV's the vary by 50-200fps)

- last on the list, but possibly first in priority, is which bullet I'm loading. I'm having great luck with accuracy from Hornady Vmax & Amax bullets - 58, 75, & 105 grain pills.

Old 04-24-2016, 07:37 AM

These days it's more about what you can find. After trying a few different powders that I thought would work for what I wanted, and then settling on what worked best, I found 3 powders that I am usually able to find; Varget for 22-250, 260 Rem, 250 Sav. and 7-08, IMR4198 for 223,and IMR4350 for 25-06,270,&30-06. So whenever I'm at a gunshop I ask for these 3 and usually take home a pound or 2. I've always managed to keep a few of each in stock.
Old 04-24-2016, 10:36 AM

There seems to be a few similarities as to the criteria for picking a powder.

But all in all it also seems that every ones approach to the powder of choice is individual and that makes sense as to why there are up to 15 choices for calibre and bullet. Thought it could be explained, but each person has his own criteria when it comes to choosing powder.

Thanks for all your input fellow AOer's

Now has anyone experienced trying to follow a Manual or online site as to the amount of a particular powder and being way off?
In particular I was looking at Hodgdon's site for 125 grain .308 using IMR4320. It stated max load of 53.0 grns. I worked up from 44.0 grns.
Well tried 53.0 grns. and it ran out all over my desk. Would have had to tamp it down to get it all in. I stayed at 50.0 grains max and estimate that it was a compressed load.
To me this is a huge error, has anyone else come across this info from manuals or a powder manufacturer?
Old 04-24-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey Boy View Post

But all in all it also seems that every ones approach to the powder of choice is individual and that makes sense as to why there are up to 15 choices for calibre and bullet. Thought it could be explained, but each person has his own criteria when it comes to choosing powder.

Now has anyone experienced trying to follow a Manual or online site as to the amount of a particular powder and being way off?
In particular I was looking at Hodgdon's site for 125 grain .308 using IMR4320. It stated max load of 53.0 grns. I worked up from 44.0 grns.
Well tried 53.0 grns. and it ran out all over my desk. Would have had to tamp it down to get it all in. I stayed at 50.0 grains max and estimate that it was a compressed load.
To me this is a huge error, has anyone else come across this info from manuals or a powder manufacturer?
I know over the years a few newest editions of published manuals had typos and otherwise erroneous data in them. Pre internet days had flyer type disclaimers available at the gun shoppe.

This is why corroborating data from more than a single source is a must.
Run it like gymnastics at the Olympics. Throw out the low, throw out the high, and average the rest.

Kinda reminds me of what's written on page 12 of the hunting regs........

There are no absolutes

Last edited by Dick284; 04-24-2016 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-24-2016, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey Boy View Post

Could be an error, could be your brand of brass doesn't it hold as much powder as their test brass , or to could be simply a compressed load.
As Dick stated , check several manuals and go from there!
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 04-24-2016 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-24-2016, 11:19 AM

Throw out the low, throw out the high, and average the rest.

Yes very good advice Dick.
I usually have 7-8 sources for load data that I always use.
Old 04-24-2016, 11:28 AM

Could be an error, could be your brand of brass does it hold as much powder as their test brass , or to could be simply a compressed load.

Could be Cat. But 50.0 grns was up into the neck and would be compressed to some degree. How much, maybe 105% so must have a grevious error as 3.0 grains of 4320 is a lot. Maybe the brass, but didn't think brass could be out that much. Wonder is it worth contacting Hodgdon to have them double check that measurement?

Last edited by catnthehat; 04-24-2016 at 11:41 AM.
Old 04-24-2016, 11:45 AM

Yeah, some brass can hold quite a bit more.
Also , 4320 can pack up and need to be shaken down at times, depending on how it is dropped into the case.
I have some pretty long drop tubes on some of my measures
Cat
Old 04-24-2016, 12:44 PM

Thanks Cat. I never tried a drop tube, but may have to invest in one.