Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-17-2016, 06:41 PM

Default Picking your Powder

I have 3 load manuals along with several online. My question is.

What do most of you look for when picking a powder for the bullet type you want?

Is it the speed, or case capacity, pressures. Manuals list between say 10 - 15 powders sometimes for the weight and type of bullet one picks.

Yes most of us probably use what we may have in stock, but say that wasn't the case and you got to pick exactly which powder you wanted.

What would you look for in the manuals, or is it just trial and error till you find the right load recipe. Or do you look for something specific? And what might that be.

Just wondering.
Old 04-17-2016, 06:51 PM

Default Powder

I generally look for the powder that has the best performance/ efficiency for two or more bullet weights that I might shoot out of a given rifle. Then its load development for accuracy and maybe back to the drawing board if that doesn't pan out.
Old 04-17-2016, 06:59 PM

Smile

I normally look for slower burning powder .

Buy cheap cry every day .

Old 04-17-2016, 07:08 PM

The powder that most fills the case and still gets the speed I'm after is where I start.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:31 PM

Ok I agree with using a powder that you can use on more than one bullet.

Why the slowest burning?

And why a powder to fill a case to its capacity?
Old 04-17-2016, 07:45 PM

If I can't get it done with Varget I use either 4895 or 4831.
Cat
Old 04-17-2016, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchardy1972 View Post
The powder that most fills the case and still gets the speed I'm after is where I start.
X2 - I strive for fill volume of 90+%, but not compressed by the bullet I am loading.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:00 PM

I always do these three things:

1) Google "Best powder for ..." This always allows me to see a pattern. Somewhere along the way, I heard it said, "You always see farther when you stand on the shoulders of those who have gone before you." Makes sense. Let the other dudes burn powder for me.

2) Look in Nosler manual to see most accurate powder for the bullet weight(s) I will be loading.

3) Look in Sierra manual to see their accuracy loads.

After having done all three, one or two powders ALWAYS rise to the top of my list.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:03 PM

1. Do I have it.
2. Start with the fullest case.
3. Best velocity
4. Listed accuracy load.

And then I'll try the next powder that fits the criteria, if the first one shows room for improvement.

There are no absolutes
Old 04-17-2016, 08:13 PM

when encountered with a new cartridge im not familiar with i use a bit of math
in conjunction with published reloading data...
Old 04-17-2016, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
X2 - I strive for fill volume of 90+%, but not compressed by the bullet I am loading.
The reasoning behind that Is?

I noticed in the Speer and Nosler manuals a lot of loads show a compressed load so that is why I'm wondering. Hornady manual doesn't seem to show C Loads.

Last edited by Davey Boy; 04-17-2016 at 08:24 PM.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey Boy View Post
The reasoning behind that Is?

I noticed in the Speer and Nosler manuals a lot of loads show a compressed load so that is why I'm wondering. Hornady manual doesn't seem to show C Loads.
I doubt burn consistency is affected by a bit of compression, but I want to be certain there is no pressure exerted to the base of the seated bullet as it might be possible, with low neck tension, to actually push the bullet forward in the neck...resulting in variations to seating depth (at least that is my theory).
With a 90+% volume fill, I can be certain the column of powder is always covering the primer hole regardless of the position of the cartridge when fired. Taken to the extreme for explanation, picture the position of the powder column relative to the primer hole if a 50% fill were fired with the cartridge positioned pointy end down.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:39 PM

I don't believe Hornady shows compressed loads or fill volume (percentage wise) in any of their load data, and i know for sure that some loads are compressed using their data. And i don't really pay too much attention to their recommended accuracy or velocity loads, their test platform is totally different from what i'm trying it in. As others have said, i look for a powder with over a 90% fill, which should have a better ignition and burn, i too prefer a slower powder, always seem to get the best accuracy with a slower powder. But, unfortunately, a lot of the time, it comes down to what powder i have or is most common to get, nothing more frustrating than working up a magic load and running out of that powder. CFE223, i'm starting to think i'll put that sh&t on everything!! LOL Have a great day, Dogger
Old 04-18-2016, 09:24 AM

Thanks for all the input fellas, I now have some more ideas to ponder.
Guess it all boils down to several things, some I never thought of.

It still seems that it is trial and error to match bullet and powder to a gun to get that cloverleaf pattern out of it.

Well now that's the fun and sometimes frustration of reloading.

Thanks again for all your input.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:41 AM

I also like to look for powders that are readily available in Canada. Nothing is worse that finding pet loads than not being able to find the powder anymore (Alliant).
Old 04-18-2016, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
I also like to look for powders that are readily available in Canada. Nothing is worse that finding pet loads than not being able to find the powder anymore (Alliant).
Yes that's very important in today's times.

Although rumor has it that powder is starting to come into Canada more lately.

Can Tire Shawnessy had lots a while back.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:11 AM

I would also take into consideration the temperature sensitive properties of a powder before I used it, depending on the application of course. I worked up a dandy load for a 7mm mag with 175 Sierra GK and H870. Shot insanely accurate in temperatures below 0, MOA of frying pan when the temperatures were up to + 18.
Old 04-19-2016, 01:21 PM

I look for powders that are used between calibers, ie: IMR 4064 works well in 308 and 223, that way I have to stock less.
Old 04-19-2016, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
I would also take into consideration the temperature sensitive properties of a powder before I used it, depending on the application of course. I worked up a dandy load for a 7mm mag with 175 Sierra GK and H870. Shot insanely accurate in temperatures below 0, MOA of frying pan when the temperatures were up to + 18.
Amazing what a few degrees of temp. can do. Didn't know you could hunt frying pans. What a guy can learn on this forum. Too much. LOL
Old 04-19-2016, 09:46 PM

I read a ton of different loads from multiple manuals then I read it again. Look for temp insensitivity powders then I look for 90% or greater case fill. I tend to favour a powder that has a wider range of max and min loads. Say a 4gr band rather than a 1/2 grain band. In smaller cases even .1 grain makes a world of difference, and a narrow band makes its all that much worse. I choose a powder that is well known (thanks to the Googles on the internets) and one that suits my weight range of bullet.

Sent from my photon beam particle emitter \m/
Old 04-21-2016, 07:57 AM

I like to buy a powder that's good for more than one cartridge and uses an amount of grains that gives me a higher velocity without filling the cartridge to the max. I might add that I reload for handguns not rifles.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:03 AM

I look for the powders that provide the higher velocities without resorting to a compressed load. I generally ignore the so called most accurate loads, but now and then it works out that my results match the manuals in that respect.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I always do these three things:

1) Google "Best powder for ..." This always allows me to see a pattern. Somewhere along the way, I heard it said, "You always see farther when you stand on the shoulders of those who have gone before you." Makes sense. Let the other dudes burn powder for me.

2) Look in Nosler manual to see most accurate powder for the bullet weight(s) I will be loading.

3) Look in Sierra manual to see their accuracy loads.

After having done all three, one or two powders ALWAYS rise to the top of my list.
x2
Old 04-21-2016, 10:22 AM
Banned

I have on hand, Reloader 15, Varget, H335, CFE223, IMR3031 and IMR4895. These pretty much do the job for the two types of calibers that I load. These were chosen over others by talking to other reloaders and the few manuals that I have. I don't go by just once source for info.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper View Post
I have on hand, Reloader 15, Varget, H335, CFE223, IMR3031 and IMR4895. These pretty much do the job for the two types of calibers that I load. These were chosen over others by talking to other reloaders and the few manuals that I have. I don't go by just once source for info.
That's pretty much what I have as well, and I have 6-7 sources for load info. 3 of them current manuals. It seems that there are so many choices that I find it hard to pick one. But by the replys here I more info on what to look for.
Now to just find the time to get out.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:36 AM

I mostly use powders these days that are easily available.
W748, Benchmark, Varget, 4350, 4831, 7828
If I can't find a bullet that a rifle likes along with any of these powders - that rifle will be down the road in short order.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:46 AM

Smile What Dick said

Stress "Do I have it?" or can I buy it. Not so easy now a days. My preference is Varget and then IMR powders.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:00 PM

I try to use powder I have, that gives good to better velocity. If I could find 1 powder , with good velocity predictions to use on all calibers I would love it.
So far IMR 4350 , 4064 pretty well look after my needs.

I don't want to stock 10 powders to gain 50 or 100FPS , when every cal is more than capable of killing at it's lowest load velocity .
Old 04-23-2016, 08:38 PM

I picked up a can of superformance the other day to experiment with. I own at least one of each of the 22-250,243 and 300wsm witch is on the lable. To the best of my limited kwnoledge there's only a few cartages with suggested use of this powder. Being a ball powder what are the advantages or disadvantage of it also does anyone have experience using it.

I shot great groups with a box of factory rolled 80g GMX superformance in my 243 with amazing success on elk and moose witch lead me here.
Old 04-23-2016, 09:17 PM

Default Superformance

Ive used super-f in both the 243 and 300wsm, the 300wsm loads i could get any good groups with at all I used different charges and seat depth, nothing decent came out of it .With the 243 I had way better luck had really consistent grouping. I like another member before me said, like to use powders that work for all my calibers if possible anyway. H414 is my go too for many of my calibers, works extremely well in my 300wsm 30-06 243 and 25-06. I like spherical powders mainly because of the ease of use, measuring your load thru cheaper equipment ie: Lee perfect powder measure can be difficult with consistent charges using long grain powders IMO anyway. I do have a soft spot for imr 4350 and RL 17 though._