Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-16-2016, 11:10 PM

Default Central lockups at ranges per Bill S-223

I hope and pray and will write letters and make phone calls to MP's and senators to fight this bill, but if it should pass the Senate and make it to the Liberal majority in the House of Commons, what suggestions are in order for ranges and clubs like CHAS at Genessee to install a lockup so that we could legally enjoy our handguns and semiautos at the range?

This bill would make all centerfire semiauto rifles on the same basis as handguns, and would also prevent transport of same by owners. It would require central storage of them at the club or range. I urge everyone to read the text of this bill on the www.gc.ca website; it affects all centerfire semiauto rifles, not just AR's and other tactical-type rifles.

I know that this is just the start and it may not happen, and I intend to write and call responsibly and professionally to my government members. I also know that this measure is all politics and no logic, but I want to continue to enjoy my sport legally, which is why I am posing this question.

If this horror story should become law, how will the ranges proceed to set up such storage facilities?
Old 04-17-2016, 08:58 AM

If we had to do that at our little range, it would mean we'ed have to build a much more secure building. That would be financially impossible. We'ed have no choice but to disallow such firearms; no doubt that is the intent of the bill. The other concern is that break ins at rural ranges would become much more common. I don't expect the Liberal Gov't to use their heads here.
Old 04-17-2016, 11:12 AM

Saw on the news yesterday, Missisipi governor enacted a law to allow concealed carry in places of worship. Right or wrong , those are places evildoers target for mass killings to make big publicity. We all know their system differs from ours , but I tip my hat to the governor as otherwise those worshipers are sitting ducks. In our country , these idiot politicians think disarming "Law Abiding" Canadians is making Canada a safer place with more regs: on the innocent, all the while the criminals give a thumbs up to the lawmakers as it just makes their evil that much easier. Remember, "Turdeau" said when campaigning , that he wants to show Canadians that the lib's trust them, - what a farce- . These politicians need to get their head out of the sand, there's a lot of wilderness between Toronto / Ottawa/ & Vancouver full of predators, 2 & 4 legged. Keep up the fight!
Old 04-17-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titegroup View Post
Saw on the news yesterday, Missisipi governor enacted a law to allow concealed carry in places of worship. Right or wrong , those are places evildoers target for mass killings to make big publicity. We all know their system differs from ours , but I tip my hat to the governor as otherwise those worshipers are sitting ducks. In our country , these idiot politicians think disarming "Law Abiding" Canadians is making Canada a safer place with more regs: on the innocent, all the while the criminals give a thumbs up to the lawmakers as it just makes their evil that much easier. Remember, "Turdeau" said when campaigning , that he wants to show Canadians that the lib's trust them, - what a farce- . These politicians need to get their head out of the sand, there's a lot of wilderness between Toronto / Ottawa/ & Vancouver full of predators, 2 & 4 legged. Keep up the fight!

Well put, couldn't agree more!! Why is our government trying to make us more and more vulnerable to criminals that don't believe they have to live by the same laws? I have nothing nice to say about the people who come up with these ridiculous ideas!
Old 04-17-2016, 11:44 AM

The antis and grabbers do not expect to get everything proposed in this or any proposal. They are like a boa constrictor that wraps itself around a victim then maintains constant pressure while waiting for any small relaxation or yielding of resistance.

AFAIK, this Bill proposes that all semi-autos and handguns be restricted to centralized (and approved) Club Storage. Shot-gunners will claim they need their semi-autos for ducks and clays, but too many will not object to centralized storage for 'black' guns or handguns. The application of the proposed legislation will be (temporarily) relaxed, the fudds will heave a sigh of relief that the Bill will not affect them, and the snake will further tighten its grip for the next round of the struggle.

We must stand united and resist all attempts to 'divide and concur'.
'No Compromise'

Join and support the NFA & CSSA.

Good Luck to us all, YMMV.
Old 04-17-2016, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert View Post
The antis and grabbers do not expect to get everything proposed in this or any proposal. They are like a boa constrictor that wraps itself around a victim then maintains constant pressure while waiting for any small relaxation or yielding of resistance.

AFAIK, this Bill proposes that all semi-autos and handguns be restricted to centralized (and approved) Club Storage. Shot-gunners will claim they need their semi-autos for ducks and clays, but too many will not object to centralized storage for 'black' guns or handguns. The application of the proposed legislation will be (temporarily) relaxed, the fudds will heave a sigh of relief that the Bill will not affect them, and the snake will further tighten its grip for the next round of the struggle.

We must stand united and resist all attempts to 'divide and concur'.
'No Compromise'

Join and support the NFA & CSSA.

Good Luck to us all, YMMV.
Sounds like a great idea! Ya lets just centralize everyone's guns to one location so criminals can come in and steal them all at one time.
Old 04-17-2016, 01:08 PM

Reality is a bitch. Most ranges have no storage facilities and none of them have sufficient for more than a small portion of their membership, and the average range has what, about 1,000-2,000 members? So the physical requirements are huge. Even assuming the government will help funding this, it is more than one year of work to get facilities built and approved. If they hate guns that much, they are far more likely to just ban them.
Old 04-17-2016, 01:16 PM

Just imagine the PR nightmare when central storage gets breeched, and the firearms make it onto the streets.
Taint nobody dumb enuf to take on that risk. Even a lefty.
Even the UK govt didn't go down this route.

There are no absolutes
Old 04-17-2016, 01:34 PM

Default Storage

Can you imagine the bunker a club would have to build! Theirs no way bad guys could be kept out of those lock ups.
Old 04-17-2016, 01:34 PM

Actually reading the proposed bill. You can still have your firearms at your residence.
You can only shoot some prohibited and *circumscribed firearms (new name for restricted) at an approved ranges.

Not sure about the ins and outs yet of the whole proposal. Wait and see what happens.

Please before commenting or allowing your friends to comment on this or other bills. Read the bill.
Old 04-17-2016, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Just imagine the PR nightmare when central storage gets breeched, and the firearms make it onto the streets.
IIRC, some EU countries have, and even some Swiss Cantons have similar restrictions. IIRC there was a Swiss referendum on the issue, and while some people are authorized to keep firearms in their homes, storage of ammunition is centralized. (I may be misinformed as to the results of the Swiss referendums, but I suspect we will not be asked to vote on the matter.)

The Federal Government could also make firearm and ammunition storage an issue for local government to address with bylaws.

Since any centralized storage is now and will be required to keep detailed logs, (which will be the property of the CFO) these will function as a 'registry' by another name, which will enable the Lieberals to claim they kept their election promise of 'no new firearm registry'. Additionally, the costs will be borne by the Clubs and users so the Lieberals will claim they are saving money.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 04-17-2016, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert View Post
IIRC, some EU countries have, and even some Swiss Cantons have similar restrictions. IIRC there was a Swiss referendum on the issue, and while some people are authorized to keep firearms in their homes, storage of ammunition is centralized. (I may be misinformed as to the results of the Swiss referendums, but I suspect we will not be asked to vote on the matter.)

The Federal Government could also make firearm and ammunition storage an issue for local government to address with bylaws.

Since any centralized storage is now and will be required to keep detailed logs, (which will be the property of the CFO) these will function as a 'registry' by another name, which will enable the Lieberals to claim they kept their election promise of 'no new firearm registry'. Additionally, the costs will be borne by the Clubs and users so the Lieberals will claim they are saving money.

Good Luck, YMMV.
What are you blathering on about?

I said UK, not EU!

Since those firearms that the proposed bill would require to be held in central storage, would be now deemed restricted, they would need to be registered, duh!

I think you just like to here yourself, Qwert.

This senate bill sucks, the Senator who presented it is a nut bar, and I don't even think the bill will pass second reading anyways. At least here's hoping.

I've spent most of today penning letters, which I've faxed using free internet fax services.

What's everybody else done.l?

There are no absolutes
Old 04-17-2016, 05:52 PM

There's an interesting section in the Criminal Code. Section 60.

Exception

60 Notwithstanding subsection 59(4), no person shall be deemed to have a seditious intention by reason only that he intends, in good faith,

(a) to show that Her Majesty has been misled or mistaken in her measures;

(b) to point out errors or defects in

(i) the government or constitution of Canada or a province,

(ii) Parliament or the legislature of a province, or

(iii) the administration of justice in Canada;

(c) to procure, by lawful means, the alteration of any matter of government in Canada; or

(d) to point out, for the purpose of removal, matters that produce or tend to produce feelings of hostility and ill-will between different classes of persons in Canada.

So, some that have done that have sent notice to the Attorney General saying that they intend to disobey that law, and they get left alone to do as they said they were going to disobey...

And why does (d) say to point out, for the purpose of removal, matters that produce feelings of hostility and ill-will between CLASSES of persons in Canada if everyone is supposed to be equal????? Think about that....

There's your protection during civil disobedience IMHO....
Old 04-17-2016, 10:13 PM

Anywho I am wondering how this bill would affect the laws around people storing their firearms. from what it seems to me when i store my firearms I have to do so in a way that you cannot get to them. If we had a centrilized storage system I would be trusting the storage of my firearms to whoever is in charge of the range. Now I would assume that they would take precautions to make sure we cant acsess one anothers firearms. but if there is a break in am I acountable for my revolver when the nearest range is 100km away from me? This entire system goes agianst one of the oldest ideas of not keeping all the eggs in one basket. I did try to read the bill but it didnt make a lot of sense as its rather legal. I could of missed somthing that nulifys my entire rant though.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Right you are, this would be a logistical nightmare, and the gov't would pay a heavy price when said bunkers holding firearms get breached as we all know they would. Thieves steal front end loaders to smash & grab at banks ATM machines without a care, so it's childs play to do the same at remote range facilities. It's much harder for thieves to target which individual residences would hold firearms V/S a common storage facility, but miss s***it for brains can't seem to grasp that reality, also in their rightfull owners home , said owner might just ( do you think!) resort to any means necessary to protect life, which is our right according to the charter. I don't think this bill will get too far personally, it would be political suicide.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:58 AM

My firearms are encapsulated with Kryptonite ,wrapped in lead , in a gunsafe ,inside a concrete bunker .
Old 04-18-2016, 08:38 AM

Another good reason to dump the Senate.
Old 04-19-2016, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps plus View Post
My firearms are encapsulated with Kryptonite ,wrapped in lead , in a gunsafe ,inside a concrete bunker .
Not good enough. You need the bunker on an island, surrounded by lava and dragons.
Old 04-19-2016, 04:07 PM
Banned

I suddenly have no more rifles
Old 04-19-2016, 05:32 PM

Quote:
What are you blathering on about?

I said UK, not EU!

Since those firearms that the proposed bill would require to be held in central storage, would be now deemed restricted, they would need to be registered, duh!

I think you just like to here yourself, Qwert.

This senate bill sucks, the Senator who presented it is a nut bar, and I don't even think the bill will pass second reading anyways. At least here's hoping.

I've spent most of today penning letters, which I've faxed using free internet fax services.

What's everybody else done.l?
Thank you, and
Good work!
Old 04-19-2016, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titegroup View Post
It's spelled Mississippi and the law allows permits certain individuals to be from liability if they shoot or kill someone committing an act of violence at the place of worship. These specified individuals will be required to receive training and meet certain qualifications in order to be protected under this law.
Old 04-20-2016, 04:48 PM
Banned

Well after the break-in at Calgary cabelas we know central storage is BS.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by play.soccer View Post
Well after the break-in at Calgary cabelas we know central storage is BS.
Same thing happened at the Regina Wholesale a couple of years ago.

This whole thing is ridiculous, especially the part where they (almost literally) say that people get upset with the word "registry" so they're just going to start calling in "inscription" and that'll make it better...
Old 04-22-2016, 11:55 AM

this is how a gun hating bureaucracy uses stealth to confiscate firearms. build central storage facilities to hold firearms(with taxpayer money). now the government has control over your personal property (possession is 9/10 of the law). the very first time one of these lockers gets broken into and the firearms stolen, the entire remainder of the locked up firearms will be confiscated and destroyed so they don't end up in the hands of criminals.
Old 04-22-2016, 12:14 PM

All this is very easily understood if one realizes that the government is the criminal..Its not to protect people, criminals dont care about laws..This is to protect them from a civil uprisings..

Once the main population is disarmed, game over..
Old 04-22-2016, 12:29 PM

Just wrote my MP, suggest we all do the same.

Thanks.
Old 04-22-2016, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
It's spelled Mississippi and the law allows permits certain individuals to be from liability if they shoot or kill someone committing an act of violence at the place of worship. These specified individuals will be required to receive training and meet certain qualifications in order to be protected under this law.
I wonder if the law is extended to to people who frequent Mosques, Temples, Synagogues, covens of witches, warlocks and places where the Klan holds regular meetings?

It probably only covers the Klan and white Southern Baptists.
Old 04-22-2016, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctd View Post
Actually reading the proposed bill. You can still have your firearms at your residence.
You can only shoot some prohibited and *circumscribed firearms (new name for restricted) at an approved ranges.

Not sure about the ins and outs yet of the whole proposal. Wait and see what happens.

Please before commenting or allowing your friends to comment on this or other bills. Read the bill.

More restrictions on legal gun owners are not needed! This bill suggests just that!

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 04-22-2016, 06:04 PM

I actually went in and read the whole bill.
It seems like she wants to change the words used. Then try to reinvent rules and regulations that are already there. While adding a few more.

No matter what this needs to be scrapped. I wrote my letter to her office and my MLA. Hopefully so did you.
Old 04-25-2016, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepard.. View Post
All this is very easily understood if one realizes that the government is the criminal..Its not to protect people, criminals dont care about laws..This is to protect them from a civil uprisings..

Once the main population is disarmed, game over..
This is true, just open a history book, every Gov't that has disarmed it's citizens through trickery has basically ( since there's no longer threat of resistance) begun to rule with an iron fist. One Chinese ruler as well as Stalin and Hitler , all followed this path and once people were disarmed , if they defied rule , they were exterminated. Don't think it can't happen here, don't be fooled. Remember, the Gov't ( ARE PUBLIC SERVANTS, WORKING FOR US) , this Liberal gov't which was elected by (IDIOTS ) feels now they will do what the majority of Canadians want them to do, without consulting the people in any way, ( BAD IDEA). For some great truth to this subject, go to ( YOU-TUBE) and search --JOSIE THE OUTLAW, i can't find much to fault her about , she's got it nailed right from what i can see. Check out ( good people should be armed).