Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-26-2016, 02:04 PM

Default Are there seating dies that do not reference the ogive?

I realized today I was making the assumption that all seating dies reference off the ogive, but recognize now that that might not necessarily be the case.

So: are there seating dies out there that reference off a part of the bullet other than the ogive (like, say maybe the bullet tip)?
Old 04-26-2016, 02:22 PM

Most seating dies rest on the forward part of the bullet before the ogive..
Old 04-26-2016, 02:23 PM
Banned

dies designed in any method such as going off the tip would make for inaccurate loads

i can't think of any that are designed to go off the tip of a bullet although some sometimes do depending on the bullet and the die
Old 04-26-2016, 02:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Most seating dies rest on the forward part of the bullet before the ogive..
a more forward point on the ogive

Old 04-26-2016, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
a more forward point on the ogive

Yes farther forward than where the shank meets the ogive, so towards the point from where a comparator measures from.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:59 PM

OK, thanks guys - makes sense.

I'd overheard a comment recently that suggested some dies (RCBS and another one I hadn't heard of before) referenced off the bullet tip, so I got to wondering. On that point, I use a RCBS seating die and you can actually see where the die has touched the bullet on the ogive, so it made me doubt the rumour as it pertained to RCBS.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolHammer View Post
I'd overheard a comment recently that suggested some dies (RCBS and another one I hadn't heard of before) referenced off the bullet tip,
using vld bullets that might be correct
Old 04-26-2016, 03:27 PM

RCBS, Redding and Wilson all make seater plugs that they will custom design for a specific bullet and calibre. They also have some generic versions like the Berger 168 grain VLD in stock. These technically reference off of the ogive too as the seating plug is a perfect reverse shape of the bullet being seated.

Using a round or flat nose bullet with a regular SP seating dies will actually create the referenced tip based seating length as the tip is too large to go through the opening in a standard seating plug, but this is not a common method of designing seating plungers..

Even Lee will make custom plugs

http://leeprecision.com/custom-bullet-seating-plug.html

From Berger's Website - Quote

Redding’s NEW Bullet Seating Micrometer Plugs For Berger VLD Bullets
Posted May 6, 2011
I am excited to announce that in Redding’s 2011 Product Catalog, they have listed as one of their latest products a line of Bullet Seating Micrometers, which includes plugs made specifically for the Berger VLDs. These Seating Micrometers can be used in their dies, which are ½-20 thread (which I believe they use in all of their standard bullet seating dies).

These items are a component (or part) of the bullet seating die. These are not the dies themselves. It is the top portion of the die that contains the plunger, which pushes the bullet into the case. The shooters will know which of the “Old Plugs” they are currently using, and can use the chart above to determine which is the appropriate Berger VLD plug replacement.
We have confirmed with Redding that each of the new micrometer plugs in the VLD group were designed based on Berger VLD bullets. We provided all of our VLD bullets to Redding, from which they took deliberate measurements and made these new plugs. This is news that needs to be shared with anyone shooting Berger VLD bullets. This information can also be see on Redding’s website at:
http://www.redding-reloading.com/ind...-standard-dies
It is important to understand that many shooters have problems getting the VLD bullets to shoot because of the bullet seater die they are using. The VLD noses are so long and sharp that in many dies, the tip of the bullet bottoms out in the bullet seater stem instead of touching on the side of the ogive like it should. Bottoming out on the tip produces seating depth inconsistencies that can vary up to .025. The worst part is that many shooters have no idea that this is the root cause of their poor performance. This new product can help turn a frustrating shooting experience into an enjoyable one.
Spread the word!!
Eric Stecker
Old 04-26-2016, 07:39 PM

I had to use a VLD seater plug to seat the 129gr Accubond when loading for my 6.5x55. The standard seating plug would badly distort the bullet.