Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 04-08-2003, 09:18 PM
Chad Nuke

Default bear hides

What could a guy sell one of these for roughly and how long before you could sell it,where Etc. Also what care would need to be taken, salted, tanned and or fleshed?
Any info would be appreciated!
Old 04-09-2003, 12:04 PM
Predators and Prey

Default Bears

Chad, bears (black bears that is) are treated the same as any other fur bearing animals. Page 10 of Trapping Regs 2002-2003..Sale of Wildlife. Anyone may sell black bear skins, provided they have been taken lawfully (black bear claws may only be sold if they remain attached to the whole skin).

There is a good article in 'IT International Trapper' Spring 2002 on grading and handling of bear skins. This magazine is put out by 'The North American Fur Auction', also found on the following link. Excellent magazine, $8.00 per year for two magazines. This year there will be only one with all past articles on grading coyotes. It's an anniversary issue! (Although I sound like a salesman I am not, I am just a happy user of this auction house.)

Bears are skinning open like a rug. Uses are in the fur industry for trim and fur garments as well as taxidermy.

Properly prepared bear hide is: completely free of fat and grease, properly prepared feet(toe pads must be left on pelt), ears (skinned out) and head, and completely dried. Tainted and grease burn greats a substantial loss in value. No salt...

Prices for bears, etc can be found at the following link:
www.nafa.ca/sales/Feb25_2...furCDN.asp

February Auction: there were 726 bears offered and 65% sold. Average was $94.96 cd with top of $340.40 cd.

Hope this helps...there's a ton of questions 'Like why turn the ears if only going to trim,' but I don't want to re-write someone else's magazine article...Answer to this one, 'There is no guarantee whether it will be bid on by a taxidermy house or the British Guard.' Best pelts and best prepared pelts go for the best $$$..