Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-30-2018, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophybook View Post
I tented alone for about a month in the Wilmore about 60km from grand cache , I had a old 30-30 and a couple horses, after 3 sleepless nights I had enough and told myself if your gonna get mauled your gonna get mauled and theirs nothing you can do to stop it. So I slept with earplugs every night. And for entertainment I'd put bells on the horses and I swear they would play music lol.
Something soothing about listening to bells outside the tent at night.....puts you right to sleep
Old 08-30-2018, 11:25 PM

It's interesting psychology. Realistically if you are in a predatory bear encounter are you actually safer because there is another person sleeping beside you in the tent? Practically, I don't think so, but in my mind I feel better...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-30-2018, 11:38 PM

I don't but George does.
Old 08-31-2018, 12:37 AM

Once upon a time I did tent alone a couple of times. Slept with the flap open and a little fire going which I would get up a stoke a couple of times. Found that I liked a lean-to better. I'd find a place with some good sized trees to back the lean-to up to and a good view point out front, a nice thick bed of boughs and that little fire preferably with a flat rock behind it. Oh yeah, I'd make sure that I was a distance from any game trail. You never know what goes up and down those.

Nora Loreto 6:49 PM 8 Apr. 2018
Old 08-31-2018, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
I go so far as to put Warfarin pellets out to kill mice.
Yep same here and half a dozen mouse traps !
Old 08-31-2018, 08:09 AM

Guys, spent half my life in hunting tent, only had mice around less than 1/2 dozen times. Secret is to not set up in area used by other hunters. Get back in bush in virgin campsite you clear yourself.
Old 08-31-2018, 08:19 AM

When I was younger just a good sleeping bag and a good weather forecast was all I needed. Didn't own bear spray or bring a rifle.

Although it's hard to get a good sleep when there is a clear night sky and the stars are out, so much to see up there.
Old 08-31-2018, 08:20 AM

In Alberta I did. Longest was for 10 days and with bear prints in the area I start to freak out a bit after a week a bit at nights. Longest was in northen Kamchatka for a bit longer than 30 days, and it was 5 of us, so it doesn't count but one still starts ot freak out
Old 08-31-2018, 08:26 AM

I have only camped alone a few times. The first time was nerve racking, though i managed to get a few minutes sleep. The next time i had a shotgun with slugs and buck in it i slept much better. my son needs his special blanket and i need my special boom stick. what ever it takes to make you feel comfortable i suppose.
Old 08-31-2018, 08:38 AM

I do a lot more tenting alone while fly fishing, usually along the trunk road or one of the roads off it. Recently switched it up to sleeping on a foamy in the back of my truck under the canopy. Its been working really great.

Haven't worked up the courage for the backcountry hunt yet, but my issue revolves around gear. I don't feel like I have all the correct gear yet to have a safe and comfortable time in the backcountry during the fall. I am currently trying to put away a bit of money for better gear as well as continuing to learn the hard way about what I need to bring on every trip! For example, I learned on Tuesday that a rain cover for my pack would have been a good idea. Currently I just hike out from my truck each day, once again using the canopy as my sleeping quarters.

Anyways, do 95% of my hunting and fishing alone! Honestly have not really done many trips with other people, besides the odd fly fishing trip or goose shoot.
Old 08-31-2018, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
I go so far as to put Warfarin pellets out to kill mice.
I use bars of Dial soap from the dollar store around the perimeter of the tent. Works like a damn to keep the little buggers away.
Old 08-31-2018, 02:34 PM

Haven't done it yet, would like to try. Of course, I'm sure IncrediGirl would put a kaibosh on that!

Interesting to see how some of us didn't concern ourselves about predators as much when hiking in the 70's and 80's - I always wondered if it had to do with the decades of "shoot a predator on sight" philosophy from the decades prior.
Old 08-31-2018, 02:49 PM

I've done it a few times when I was younger , but in my mind I'd rather have a companion.
If something or someone does come around to bother you , 2 or more are better than one , and even a good dog is a great help and morale booster.
If you are alone and something goes sideways , you are on your own , plain and simple. You have to deal with it yourself.
There are times when my truck got stuck , bear was around, questionable people, etc and I was always glad I had someone with me.
Getting injured when you are alone could be the end of you also. What if you slip with your axe for example , twist an ankle , have a medical situation ?
If I had to be alone I could handle it , but the risk factor goes up if something happens.

Stuff to think about. That invincibility you have at 25 is not as much there when you're 50 or 60. You want to have fun and get away from it all , but you also want to come back in one piece. Jmho
Old 08-31-2018, 03:27 PM

yep and sleep like a baby. I may reconsider if the morning news consisted of stories of lone campers meeting their makers every weekend. Those things that go bump in the night usually aren't as big as your imagination.
Old 08-31-2018, 04:43 PM

Default Night

My Dad had woodlore, and told me long ago...

"There is nothing in the dark, that isn't there in the light "

Puma
Old 08-31-2018, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma View Post
My Dad had woodlore, and told me long ago...

"There is nothing in the dark, that isn't there in the light "

Puma
In a nutshell. Knowing that it should make some solo campers sleep better.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 08-31-2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nast70 View Post
I use bars of Dial soap from the dollar store around the perimeter of the tent. Works like a damn to keep the little buggers away.
Lol

I want them dead, not clean
Old 08-31-2018, 07:04 PM

Default Do you tent alone

I’ve hunted and camped alone many times. No problem, except that I like having someone to talk too.

Last edited by trigger7mm; 08-31-2018 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Misspell
Old 08-31-2018, 07:12 PM

I do a fair bit. One thing I just noticed a few years ago is I actually sleep better further in the bush. Bears don't bother me, people do. Camping in areas in areas that are frequented by people (by frequented I mean established trails that hunters and hikers use, even if it only a few times a year) I always sort of sleep with one I open. Growing up in BC and hiking into an area where I am probably the first person in there that year, or maybe a few years I am ok. The animals, for the most part are predictable. Avoid food caches, leave the young alone, and don't eat in/near your tent and I after all these years have only ever had problems with bears in designated camp grounds.
Old 08-31-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
I’ve hunted and camped alone many times. No problem, except that I like having someone to talk too.
Just get a volleyball. Worked for Tom Hanks...
Old 08-31-2018, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Guys, spent half my life in hunting tent, only had mice around less than 1/2 dozen times. Secret is to not set up in area used by other hunters. Get back in bush in virgin campsite you clear yourself.
Been in the same isolated place over 40 years. 0 hunters camped near- by ever. Me and the mice are on a first name basis !!
Old 08-31-2018, 07:18 PM
Banned

Not a tent.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=348959

But yes alone.
Old 08-31-2018, 08:35 PM
Banned

I love eating and sleeping when I’m out by myself. I have a tendency to fall asleep if I find a nice spot to do so while I’m out wondering around in the bush. I’m not concerned about the wildlife for the most part. I think those of us who have spent a considerable amount of time in the bush would say the same thing.
Old 08-31-2018, 08:43 PM

Never done it.
Old 08-31-2018, 11:11 PM

Yes and I still do. But prefer it with the pooch along.
Old 09-01-2018, 09:14 PM

Default I have

I have a few times, most of my hunting and fishing I do alone. Sleep with a headlamp on and bear spray on the right hand side! Animals can be quite active at night and you can expect to hear some activity going on outside.
Old 09-02-2018, 04:28 PM

If sleeping with horses outside counts then yes, some of my best conversations have been with my geldings.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:03 PM

I prefer to have company however, have spent a few nights at a time out in the bush by myself.

Once you realise that mice sound like moose and there really is no cougar circling your camp waiting for you to fall asleep - it's fine.

I did have a small black bear come into camp and try and roll my stuff - but once they realise you are going to protect yourself (make a little noise) they are gone.

It was a little unnerving to wake up to hear him loudly sniffing and huffing at my pack which was in the doorway of the tent.

But I'm still alive and no worse off.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:22 AM

Yes i used to tent solo. Now im getting older i need more comfort for my old bones so i sleep on a cot in the back of my truck with a canopy on it. I call it my upgrade.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:41 AM

I enjoy hunting or fishing with guys, but I spend lots of time alone on the trapline then I usually talk to myself, "however once in a while enjoy having a good conversation with and intelligent person"