Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-20-2018, 02:06 AM

Default Rig watch??? Help

Hey guys

Sorry in advance if this is a stupid question but im in alberta, i got a job working on a rig for a good company mostly cleaning and labouring paying good, i saved up and moved out here ready to work my butt of... once i got here last week they said i cant get to work just yet as its on “ rig watch “ due to the weather.. could any of you explain what that is for me?? Anyone know when this rig watch will be over? I dont want to sit around waiting for weeks with no work cause I do like to work. and any chance you know of the next best thing to do while waiting? I am a bit late for safety watch aswell as im told.

Thanks!
Old 09-20-2018, 09:30 AM

Most likely rig is laying over the hole waiting on weather to move, or could be waiting on construction to finish next lease due to weather.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:55 AM

Call your office and tell them you want to go fill in on any other rig. There's a chance they will send you somewhere else for a week or two
Old 09-20-2018, 12:04 PM

Or they are waiting for the license for the next well. Usually companies want to minimize rig watch as they are paying for the rig to do nothing.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
Most likely rig is laying over the hole waiting on weather to move, or could be waiting on construction to finish next lease due to weather.
Yea they said its something about weather and wet season weather, right now its about 4degrees with a little wet snow but by monday were looking at +10 all week... any chance rigs should be back up by then? Only so worried cause im running out of funds and need to start work
Old 09-20-2018, 12:09 PM

Depends where you are at and how fast it is drying. Also depends on the county Most of my leases are sandy so they are drying quick. Rigs are moving on my wells as we speak. Where you drilling at?
Old 09-20-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
Or they are waiting for the license for the next well. Usually companies want to minimize rig watch as they are paying for the rig to do nothing.
They said its wet season so its on shutdown/rig watch? just so eager cause running out of savings funds and want to start asap.. by monday its +10 all week back to fall weather do you think rigs should be back up? or i should fly back wait at home and fly here when they are up
Old 09-20-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownSouthh View Post
They said its wet season so its on shutdown/rig watch? just so eager cause running out of savings funds and want to start asap.. by monday its +10 all week back to fall weather do you think rigs should be back up? or i should fly back wait at home and fly here when they are up
Depends where you are at. I highly doubt it would be more than a few days if the rain is supposed to stop and sun come out. Tops would be a week. Loose more on the flight I imagine.

Last edited by AndrewM; 09-20-2018 at 12:40 PM.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:24 PM

http://www.roadata.com/PublicWeatherRestrict.aspx
Tells you here when the restrictions will be reviewed next if it's a county restriction.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:12 PM

Its clear that you are not from here.

+10 C means very little at this time of the year. At night you are at or near freezing. By 3 PM its daytime high. By 6 the sun is starting to drop this time of year and there is a VERY SHORT DRYING PERIOD!!!! then the night is near freezing again.

Very little dries fast around here because of the sun angle, and the night time cold temperatures. Its even worse if the ground freezes on the surface at night. All day and all you did was melt ice, only to re freeze again.

You need a good wind blowing to dry the roads in the north country. Sun helps, but you need wind.

Best to call the shop and see if they are short on any rig. If your Manager likes you and you work hard, you're on for the season.

Stay out of the booze. Stay out of the Coke. Stay off of the VLT's. Make the boss look good.

Don't lend money to all the guys who are always broke. You won't get it back.

Drewski
Old 09-20-2018, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Its clear that you are not from here.

+10 C means very little at this time of the year. At night you are at or near freezing. By 3 PM its daytime high. By 6 the sun is starting to drop this time of year and there is a VERY SHORT DRYING PERIOD!!!! then the night is near freezing again.

Very little dries fast around here because of the sun angle, and the night time cold temperatures. Its even worse if the ground freezes on the surface at night. All day and all you did was melt ice, only to re freeze again.

You need a good wind blowing to dry the roads in the north country. Sun helps, but you need wind.

Best to call the shop and see if they are short on any rig. If your Manager likes you and you work hard, you're on for the season.

Stay out of the booze. Stay out of the Coke. Stay off of the VLT's. Make the boss look good.

Don't lend money to all the guys who are always broke. You won't get it back.

Drewski
Yup. All this.

I have 5 rigs I’m looking after. All were shut down by Sunday. 1 moved yesterday and will probably be shut down when they look to skid Sunday. 1 moved this morning but might shut down tomorrow when they need to drill out. 1 was supposed to move tomorrow and got told the MD will talk to them Monday. 1 was going to skid tomorrow. Looks like Tuesday at the earliest. And 1 wants to move but the access is garbage.

Like somebody said, it depends where the rig is sitting. Supposed to snow Saturday but not freeze. So the snow needs to melt and then dry. No wind and highs of +10 will take a couple days..at least. That being said, I wouldn’t fly home. If the weather forecast is right, all my rigs should be rolling by Wed/Thurs next week.