Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-15-2018, 12:17 PM
Banned

Default Has anyone called the fish cops on themselves?

This may be funny to some and I actually laughed as well.

So yesterday I went out with my dad to bowhunt a zone just north west of Edmonton that has no rifle season until November 1st. I had permission on some land to bowhunt that and as we were walking toward our blind I heard gunshots that appeared to be on the land we have permission to hunt. As we sat down in our spot the gun shots sounded as if they were very close, in fact on the piece of land we had permission to hunt. These were not shotgun shots, these sounded like rifle shots. Anywho... I got upset and decided to report trespassers to the fish and wildlife office and they sure as heck came but the poachers were gone by the time they got there. The cop literally sat on the road staring at us and nothing came out to shoot at. We decided to pack up and he blocked us in and asked for our info and such. I told him straight up that I was the one that reported and thanked him for ruining my hunt. Nice guy to be honest because I was missing my bowhunting permit ( paper copy) but he let me go since I had all my tags and he probably felt bad for ruining a hunt.

I did learn though that they are allowed to go on private property to do an investigation but cannot do a search without a search warrant. I was always under the impression that they have no right to come on private property unless the landowner lets them? I guess you learn something new everyday.

So has anyone called in poachers and got interviewed instead?
Old 10-15-2018, 12:22 PM

The term poacher is used way too much, could have been someone throwing lead at any animal such as a coyote...

Just because there is shots, does not mean someone is doing illegal activities..

Only thing that was remotely proven as being not above board was your bow hunting permit being absent when requested...

Just saying
Old 10-15-2018, 12:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
The term poacher is used way too much, could have been someone throwing lead at any animal such as a coyote...

Just because there is shots, does not mean someone is doing illegal activities..

Only thing that was remotely proven as being not above board was your bow hunting permit being absent when requested...

Just saying

I doubt that. No one is allowed to hunt this property. The neighbors that were interviewed by the officer claim to not have heard any guns shots so it makes me look like the bad guy.

Regarding my permit I showed him my online copy and he said no worries since he ran mine when he did a check. He wasn't too worried so I assume he didnt know you have to have it on your person? Was a young guy like me, looked 20-somthing?

Not only that but it is unsafe to shoot a rifle since there are occupied buildings in almost every direction and cattle walking around.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:27 PM

If you heard more then one shot, Probably sighting a rifle in or practice for general season.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloszz View Post
I doubt that. No one is allowed to hunt this property. The neighbors that were interviewed by the officer claim to not have heard any guns shots so it makes me look like the bad guy.

Regarding my permit I showed him my online copy and he said no worries since he ran mine when he did a check. He wasn't too worried so I assume he didnt know you have to have it on your person? Was a young guy like me, looked 20-somthing?
You would be surprized at how much sound travels, glad your officer was reasonable and your encounter was positive.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The moose View Post
If you heard more then one shot, Probably sighting a rifle in or practice for general season.
Bingo
Old 10-15-2018, 12:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The moose View Post
That is what i thought but it did not sound like that. Plus even if they were, it is rude and not safe as stated in my edited comment.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:
That is what i thought but it did not sound like that. Plus even if they were, it is rude and not safe as stated in my edited comment.
How do you know that it was unsafe, if you didn't even see the people doing the shooting? You posted that it sounded like they were n the property that you had permission for, but without actually seeing them shooting, you can't know for sure, exactly where they were shooting, what direction they were shooting, or what they were shooting at.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Plus even if they were, it is rude and not safe as stated in my edited comment.
How is sighting in a rifle rude?
Old 10-15-2018, 02:12 PM

I used to call myself in a lot for fishing without a licence. The reward was 50 dollars more than the ticket.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:12 PM

I’m not serious... lol. Or am I? Haha
Old 10-15-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
I used to call myself in a lot for fishing without a licence. The reward was 50 dollars more than the ticket.
Lol, about the only post in this thread worth reading.
Old 10-15-2018, 05:14 PM

Default Help me understand Maybe !!!!

Quote:
Not only that but it is unsafe to shoot a rifle since there are occupied buildings in almost every direction and cattle walking around.
So this is the same area that is open to Gun season NOV 1 ????

If so there is going to be a ton of rude people come Nov Wouldn't you say
Old 10-15-2018, 07:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by last minute View Post
So this is the same area that is open to Gun season NOV 1 ????

If so there is going to be a ton of rude people come Nov Wouldn't you say
Well not really because they won't be hunting near or on the area I will be because I won't be bow hunting anymore. I'll be rifle hunting. The issue here is that even if they were sighting in their rifle, I feel it was unnecessary to shoot for 4 hours. It doesn't take that long to sight in a rifle. If it was coyotes then there must have been a lot of coyotes because it was consecutive shots and then shots with a few minutes in between.

Target practice maybe but shoot during the day when the animals are bedded down for the day, not shoot from 3 to sundown... I understand it's their land but just like I don't sky bust or roost jump, people should consider the other people that may be around them. I also don't rip around in the marina, but I could?
Old 10-15-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Well not really because they won't be hunting near or on the area I will be because I won't be bow hunting anymore. I'll be rifle hunting. The issue here is that even if they were sighting in their rifle, I feel it was unnecessary to shoot for 4 hours. It doesn't take that long to sight in a rifle. If it was coyotes then there must have been a lot of coyotes because it was consecutive shots and then shots with a few minutes in between.

Target practice maybe but shoot during the day when the animals are bedded down for the day, not shoot from 3 to sundown... I understand it's their land but just like I don't sky bust or roost jump, people should consider the other people that may be around them. I also don't rip around in the marina, but I could?

Your description of the shots certainly makes it sound like target shooting. If it's their land, it's entirely their business when they shoot on it, as long as it is during legal hours.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:35 PM

Someone who is on someone else property, complaining about people doing things on their own property.... Stop crying about it and go hunt somewhere else.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:53 PM

Those gun shots had absolutely zero affect on your hunt. You calling the fish cops about something you had no idea about ruined your hunt. I purposely wait to target shoot for morning and evening because that’s when the wind generally is calm and the temperatures cooler. I shoot on my own land and I promise you I am not being rude in anyways shape or form by doing so. Next time enjoy your hunt and unless you see it with your own eyes mind your own business and don’t waste fish and wildlife’s time. They have real poachers to deal with.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:08 PM

Hahaha. Be funny if it was a goose cannon on neighboring land.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:34 PM

Default Has anyone called the fish cops on themselves?

you wouldn’t happen to be in 503 would you? And 503 not relevant to this part which is the fact that lot of people do their own load development and that can take hours and hours or even days to perfect. You may perceive it as an inconvenience where you feel entitled to hunt but usually as many shots as you’re talking about is target shooting or load development etc. All normally done in a safe manner, calling the COs because of an assumption and ruining your own hunt was kind of silly and as we all have heard before assuming makes an assout of u and me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Luckybrand; 10-15-2018 at 08:51 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Hahaha. Be funny if it was a goose cannon on neighboring land.
Lol....thought as well.....

Oh the drama..
Old 10-15-2018, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Reminds me of a story a friend who is a paramedic told me.

They had a "regular client" who would "wound himself" to get a ride to the hospital because it was cheaper than taking a cab to go see his friends.

Of course, minor injuries wouldn't do it, so he'd get ripped, smash his hand, split his head or whatever it took to get his free ride.

The respondents caught on to this game quickly and began treating him on the spot, and getting permission to release him on the spot - which was nearly impossible to do - so most times the drunk won and ended up getting a ride. They even threatened him with police action as he was potentially using an ambulance and tying up people who could be saving someone's life instead of playing a cabbie to a drug addict and drunk who needed a ride.

Nothing would stop or scare this guy and he knew they had to transport himself if his injuries were serious enough. This guy wouldn't quit.

One night in particular, he got drunk as a skunk and cut off half a finger.

They took him in, and this time, were "prepared" with someone who performed a "psychiatric evaluation" and told him they could hold him if he was a danger to himself or others ..... (which may not have been 100% true).

I guess you got to play a game to win a game.

At the end of the day it worked out for everyone because he stopped calling for rides long before he ran out of fingers.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:30 PM

I’m pretty sure you’re the only one that’s done that. Lol.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:36 PM

My guess is that the gunshots are not going to affect your hunt near as much as you think. If anything, they might even push game your way. I sometimes hunt near a shooting range. It doesn’t seem to affect the animals at all. And they often take up residence on the range property once they feel the pressure from hunting.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
At the end of the day it worked out for everyone because he stopped calling for rides long before he ran out of fingers.
Unless he stopped calling because he hurt himself to the point when ambulance was not needed anymore.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:55 PM

This has to be a troll post no? No way someone can be this selfish and arrogant? "finished the day cuz the fish cops that they called ruined thier hunt" someone likely sighting in a rifle perfectly legally is rude? Wow. This has to be a joke? Guess i fell for it.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:17 AM

^ With this dude (the op), it’s gotta be true.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:17 AM

The OP had no legitimate reason to assume that there was anything unsafe or illegal occurring, yet he called F&W, and they wasted their time responding. Now he is complaining that they ruined his hunt, because he didn't get anything, had they not responded, he would be complaining about that.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:17 AM

Houses around our place and lots of guys sight their guns in, shoot target and skeet all year. I’ve sat in a blind on one of our hills and watched the neighbour (on 5 acres) come home and shoot a .22 for a couple hours and then a larger rifle for 20+ shots to finish up the day. Can’t say I was thrilled, but at the same time I don’t get the panties in a knot and act like a 6 year old girl.

My advice is to grow up and understand you’re not the only one that is out there pursuing a legal form of recreation.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:27 AM

Is this the same fella that followed a set of rabbit tracks hoping a moose would be standing in the tracks at the end? Lol if it is, you made my day that day and I forgive you for this!
Old 10-16-2018, 06:35 AM

I’m just glad the OP didn’t fling any arrows this time out