Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-10-2018, 10:30 AM

Default Ultralight small-game gun for bowhunting

Hey all. I was bowhunting for deer this weekend, and I lost a couple arrows by shooting at grouse. (yes, even with judo points on them). I did get a couple grouse, but at $10 to $15 an arrow, those were some expensive birds!

Can you guys recommend a lightweight small-game gun I could pack with me while bowhunting? I've got a standard wooden-stock Ruger 10-22, but that's a lot of weight to add to what I'm already packing. Would even a small air-pistol have enough oomph to kill a grouse?
Old 09-10-2018, 10:46 AM

Trying to drag two sorts of weapons around at the same time is royal PITA. Either you’re big game hunting or you’re upland hunting.

Focus young fella, it isn’t about how many, or bringing something home every outing.

It’s about being one with nature, and enjoying the pastoral beauty that is nature.

There are no absolutes
Old 09-10-2018, 10:52 AM

Yes, a sub-500fps air pistol with a well-placed shot would kill a grouse..but the lower the power/poorer the shot..the less success. More power/accuracy takes some of those variables away of course.

I've never done it myself, but have spoken to guys who have. A Crosman 2240 (cheap, easy/cheap to upgrade) is as simple a gun as they get, .22cal, CO2-powered, single-shot bolt action, etc. Down side to CO2 is how poorly it performs in the cold, but that can be overcome by keeping it @ body temperature. (=inside your coat until needed). Crosman make a plastic/skeletal stock (Google Crosman 1399) that can go on these pistols adding very little weight, but lots of stability. The "keep it warm" challenge goes up a little.

For a pump-up pistol the same stock can be added to (=no CO2, but slower follow-up shots) is the Crosman 1322.

Another option might be the Chiappa Little Badger. Cheaply-made, super-light single-shot 22. (avail. in 22WMR too, not required) Coupled with loads like CCI Quiet-22 (or it's HP variant CCI Quiet-22 segmented) you have a gun that makes about as much noise as those 2 Crosman pistols, but probably less weight and definitely no CO2/pumping-up required obviously. There are much nicer, small 22 rifles out there (CZ452 Scout, even the Norinco JW15-A backpacker, mine pictured below) but in spite of their size, are relatively heavy/chunky things. I'd pick a scout or my Norinco WELL ahead of a Chiappa LB, but for weight reasons...you'd probably want to have the LB instead.

Old 09-10-2018, 11:14 AM

Chiappa little badger. 3 pound foldable rifle with 16 inch barrel. I zipstrapped to the side a 10 round singke stack mag from one of my Savage 22LR bolt actions. Very slim. I tied cord at the hinge and the whole gun hangs on my belt, the stock and folded varrel together fit in my cargo pants pocket. Very slim, lightweight and tucked away. Easy to grab and load when you see a bird.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:37 AM

The Henry AR-7 is very light, and it breaks down , and fits into the stock, so it easily fits in a pack. It takes less than a minute to assemble, and make ready to fire.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:40 AM

Learn how to choose shot angles that don’t result in lost arrows. I shoot grouse with my bow every year whenever I see them and it’s been years since I’ve lost an arrow. Your best bet is to line them up with a tree so the arrow passes through the grouse and stops at the base/in the root system of the tree.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:08 PM

For grouse a good sling shot would work excellent and be very quiet.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 09-10-2018, 07:45 PM
Banned

Webley Alecto air pistol a little over 2 lbs, or pack-rifle...it’s a 15.5 oz single shot .22 rifle that takes apart to two pieces. Not cheap though. Weighs a little more than a pound with stock tube and the grip storage full of shells, you can take around a box of cci quiet on board.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:52 PM

Beeman p17. I Was looking for the same thing you are. Chose to buy the p17 for $50 over the more expensive ones? Just to try and man I love the thing. You can blast grouse like no tomorrow and it’s so quite they don’t fly away and you don’t spook any big game. Cheap universal pistol holster from amazon and a pellet pen your all set. I do find the brass pointed pellets work best to get deep in past the feathers.
Old 09-11-2018, 01:20 AM

Henry Mares leg or Rossi Ranch Hand in .22LR with a back scabbard/hip holster.
I have the RRH in .45LC which I carry in a scabbard bowhunting #becuzgrizzlies and I’ve often thought about handloading some birdshot loads for it using the longer .454Cassull or longer still .460 S&W cases to carry as a chicken gun when I’m rifle hunting for deer/elk/moose etc?
I don’t expect it to be much more effective then a 15-20 yard ground swatter as I know rifled barrels have a notoriously bad rep for throwing donut patterns of birdshot,but I’m not totally opposed neither to just boring it out to smoothbore.
I know the resale value and bullet accuracy would suffer,but I really don’t care,if I need to use it in a bear defense scenario then the bear is already gonna be smoothbore accuracy close to begin with anyhow,so I guess I don’t mind the trade off sacrificing bullet accuracy for a more effective scattergun......chances are I’ll shoot ALOT more chickens then I ever will charging grizzlies and stalking cougars,lol😜
Old 09-11-2018, 06:15 AM

For grouse I use rocks sticks and snowballs even got one bare handed one year. There always seems to be something around to throw at them if your looking for a free noweight method.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:52 AM

Prophet River is a Dealer for these. Delivery is about 5 weeks, cost about 700. Not cheap but the lightest most compact option that isn't a restricted weapon.

https://www.packrifle.com/shop-pack-rifles-accessories/

Old 09-11-2018, 11:16 AM

Deerless, have you tried using flu-flus?

I carry at least one flu-flu with judo points on them when bowhunting, specifically for when I find grouse.

Regarding Stinky Coyote's recommendation: Stinky has done the research - well worth looking into.
Old 09-11-2018, 01:29 PM

Default 22 cal

This is what I use. Accurate and kill chickens quick.
Attached Images
File Type: png untitled.png (49.8 KB, 119 views)
Old 09-11-2018, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
I am in the process of modding one of these...with the right parts/modifications put to them they can really produce a punch, although their not too shabby in stock form either.
Old 09-11-2018, 03:20 PM

I would try a sling shot. Something fun and easy or a break barrel air pistol if they aren't restricted would be my choice.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Prophet River is a Dealer for these. Delivery is about 5 weeks, cost about 700. Not cheap but the lightest most compact option that isn't a restricted weapon.

https://www.packrifle.com/shop-pack-rifles-accessories/

Remarkable little rig, mine naked is 15.5 oz...fill it full of cci quiet and couple ounces more, minute of grouse for sure. The butt stock tube holds rounds as well as the pistol grip, I think nearly a box.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:09 PM

When hunting bows it really doesn’t take much to put them down. Best check thebregulations to see what caliber is legal
Old 09-11-2018, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps plus View Post
When hunting bows it really doesn’t take much to put them down. Best check thebregulations to see what caliber is legal

For grouse I think "legal caliber" is somewhere between a spit ball and a 900 nitro, but it is best if you check the regulations.
Old 09-15-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Trying to drag two sorts of weapons around at the same time is royal PITA. Either you’re big game hunting or you’re upland hunting.

Focus young fella, it isn’t about how many, or bringing something home every outing.

It’s about being one with nature, and enjoying the pastoral beauty that is nature.
I agree with this guy, I used to try to combo my hunts but IMO its not ideal. If I'm hunting big game, which I almost always am, then I don't bother with anything else.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:04 AM

Chiappa little badger ..
CCI quites..
Fills my pot on the stove for cheap
Old 10-11-2018, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post

I am a still hunter and stalker and agree completely with the above comment .
I have also kill ed lots of grouse with my bow but Learned very quickly to pick my shots carefully .
Cat
Old 10-11-2018, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerless View Post
Hey all. I was bowhunting for deer this weekend, and I lost a couple arrows by shooting at grouse. (yes, even with judo points on them). I did get a couple grouse, but at $10 to $15 an arrow, those were some expensive birds!

Can you guys recommend a lightweight small-game gun I could pack with me while bowhunting? I've got a standard wooden-stock Ruger 10-22, but that's a lot of weight to add to what I'm already packing. Would even a small air-pistol have enough oomph to kill a grouse?
I carry the savage rascal 22lr. I sight it in with 22 shorts shooting at 710fps. Sounds like a pellet gun. Great for head shots on grouse and does not alert your big game that you are near by. I highly recommend one. It's meant for kids but its a perfect backpack gun. Did the sling shot and pellet pistol thing but there's something about carrying a little backpack 22 that feels nice.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:42 AM
Banned

Buy cheap arrows that are the same gpi as your arrows, as stated above it’s a pita to pack more gear than you have to, especially while bow hunting.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuludog View Post
For grouse a good sling shot would work excellent and be very quiet.
I know the OP is asking about a gun....I agree with Zuludog...There are some pretty slick outfits on the market today, and inexpensive.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...=329714&page=2

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:12 AM

How about a Kriss Vector in 9mm, with the folding stock adapter.
Plus then you'll look tacticool
Old 10-11-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
what I'm using this year . My pistol is the Crosman American Classic .22, pump action. At 14 yards I had no problem hitting the bulls eye after I got used to the front sight. Using 14.3 gr pellets. $89.99 at Canadian Tire.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:47 PM

Default Sling shot

Sling shot is the way to go if want super easy carry and low cost ammo (dollar store marbles work awesome).
Old 10-11-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearski View Post
Sling shot is the way to go if want super easy carry and low cost ammo (dollar store marbles work awesome).
X 2 .....
Or at a garage sale....Last summer I bought near 500 marbles at a garage sale for $2.00

Can't beat that for cheap ammo.....

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 10-11-2018, 04:38 PM

“....doesn’t scare big game....”

When a whitetail can hear a twig break at 200 yards, some of you guys think they won’t hear a compound bow, pellet gun, or subsonic 22??? Yeah there will be occasional exceptions but as a rule, this is foolish. Same mentality from guys who say “deer hear oil-worker quads all the time, I’ll drive around on my quad and shoot a deer”

If you want to hunt big game, leave the chickens alone.