Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #181  
Old 09-20-2018, 07:31 PM
Ken07AOVette's Avatar
Ken07AOVette Ken07AOVette is online now
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 17,849
Default

I did not miss your point Keg, I did not agree with it.

Vehicles are a necessity. Even if you are an apartment dweller that does nothing more than ride a bus it is still a vehicle.

The world has changed....

waitadamnminute.....

down the rabbit hole we go.



I am hoping this settles the argument. One of these innocent people is dead from a dog. The other may be young enough to not suffer lasting damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
__________________
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Reply With Quote
  #182  
Old 09-20-2018, 07:43 PM
KegRiver's Avatar
KegRiver KegRiver is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: North of Peace River
Posts: 9,141
Default

LOL Well then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Don't matter to me any way it goes. Ain't no pit bulls here and I won't live long enough for there ever to be any here in my lifetime.

Ain't nobody here dumb enough to own one. Ugly useless dogs anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I did not miss your point Keg, I did not agree with it.

Vehicles are a necessity. Even if you are an apartment dweller that does nothing more than ride a bus it is still a vehicle.

The world has changed....

waitadamnminute.....

down the rabbit hole we go.



I am hoping this settles the argument. One of these innocent people is dead from a dog. The other may be young enough to not suffer lasting damage.
__________________
Democracy substitutes election by the incompetent many for appointment by the corrupt few.

George Bernard Shaw
Reply With Quote
  #183  
Old 09-20-2018, 07:47 PM
Ken07AOVette's Avatar
Ken07AOVette Ken07AOVette is online now
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 17,849
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
LOL Well then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Don't matter to me any way it goes. Ain't no pit bulls here and I won't live long enough for there ever to be any here in my lifetime.

Ain't nobody here dumb enough to own one. Ugly useless dogs anyway.
I sure hope you are right pal, other than living long, you have a few good decades to go.
There have been unfortunately people here stupid enough to own them. When they got out the town was just short of on lock down. Yep, I was on the deck with the bow, and there may have been a rifle near me
__________________
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Reply With Quote
  #184  
Old 09-20-2018, 07:57 PM
Twisted Canuck's Avatar
Twisted Canuck Twisted Canuck is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Alberta
Posts: 8,641
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Noble View Post
So very tired of people telling me I can't have my chosen breed of dog. Whatever opinion you have, fine, but to say I should get rid of my family dog, while all of you get to keep yours is a load of horse s@#&. That is all I'm going to say on this one
I think you should be able to have whatever dog you want too, as long as you are willing to spend the rest of your life in jail if it kills someone. Do whatever the hell you want, as long as you are willing to take full responsibility for any consequences and pay the full price for your choices.

Speaking as someone who had a close family member mauled and killed by a pair of rottweilers days before Christmas a couple years ago. It stops being statistics at that point. That's all I'm going to say on this one.
__________________
'...for a Nation to try and tax itself to prosperity, is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself by the handle.'. Winston Churchill

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

"Slinte mhr agad!"

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 09-20-2018 at 08:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #185  
Old 09-20-2018, 08:03 PM
Trochu's Avatar
Trochu Trochu is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,424
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
A vehicle is necessary. Let's call it a necessary evil to fit your rationale.
While not a necessity, a great benefit, yes. However, the number of people killed due to drunk driving, texting, talking while driving, watching movies, driving tired, etc. is the outrage that should have people up in arms. Texting and driving for example, is not a necessity.
Reply With Quote
  #186  
Old 09-20-2018, 08:43 PM
KegRiver's Avatar
KegRiver KegRiver is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: North of Peace River
Posts: 9,141
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I think you should be able to have whatever dog you want too, as long as you are willing to spend the rest of your life in jail if it kills someone.
Now there's a solution that makes perfect sense to me. No matter the breed, if it kills a person the owner goes to jail.

Or Ken's solution, Ralph's law, SSS a bow would be perfect for that purpose.

With dogs or Bears. Neighbors dog wonders away, we find it, we take it home, dog attacks our dog or a person on our property, we dig a hole, dog does not go home.

Neighbors know they have my blessing if the shoe is ever on the other foot.

No I've never shot a neighbors dog, but many years ago I did shoot my own dog for nipping a neighbor and some years later, another for killing the neighbors chickens.

I do not tolerate dangerous or trouble causing dogs. Of any breed.
__________________
Democracy substitutes election by the incompetent many for appointment by the corrupt few.

George Bernard Shaw
Reply With Quote
  #187  
Old 09-20-2018, 08:51 PM
Ken07AOVette's Avatar
Ken07AOVette Ken07AOVette is online now
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 17,849
Default

I have not had a dog for nearly 2 decades. I drove 40 hours to get a long haired german shepherd that washed out of RCMP training because it was not aggressive enough.
When the dog flipped its chit at a neighbor who said she would never come back in the yard again, the wife of course became scared of a lawsuit and he went to a new home in the country with no close neighbors.
The whiny neighbor later got 3 miserable dogs.
I could not live with myself if a pet harmed someone.
If my bunny bites you feel free to file a complaint
__________________
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Reply With Quote
  #188  
Old 09-20-2018, 08:56 PM
RandyBoBandy's Avatar
RandyBoBandy RandyBoBandy is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,456
Default

You have a bunny??
__________________
Only people with souls should be allowed to post on the internet.
Reply With Quote
  #189  
Old 09-20-2018, 09:10 PM
Ken07AOVette's Avatar
Ken07AOVette Ken07AOVette is online now
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 17,849
Default

My daughter got a bunny when she moved out.
Then she got pregnant, and could not keep the bunny.
So she asked if we would take it, and we said no.
So we compromised and now have a bunny.

Got a problem with that???

In all honesty wifey absolutely hates animals in the house. It was believe it or not her idea to take the bunny and socialize it, she was not a real friendly bunny. Turned out the bunny only really liked me, so until the day the bunny died she was mine.
After there was no more bunny my son thought I was lonely, and we ended up with another bunny. He likes everyone.
__________________
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Reply With Quote
  #190  
Old 09-20-2018, 09:17 PM
RandyBoBandy's Avatar
RandyBoBandy RandyBoBandy is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,456
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
My daughter got a bunny when she moved out.
Then she got pregnant, and could not keep the bunny.
So she asked if we would take it, and we said no.
So we compromised and now have a bunny.

Got a problem with that???

In all honesty wifey absolutely hates animals in the house. It was believe it or not her idea to take the bunny and socialize it, she was not a real friendly bunny. Turned out the bunny only really liked me, so until the day the bunny died she was mine.
After there was no more bunny my son thought I was lonely, and we ended up with another bunny. He likes everyone.
Oh no..I have a Netherland Dwarf rabbit..one of the most gorgeous animals ever brought on to this Earth
__________________
Only people with souls should be allowed to post on the internet.
Reply With Quote
  #191  
Old 09-20-2018, 09:18 PM
Ken07AOVette's Avatar
Ken07AOVette Ken07AOVette is online now
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 17,849
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
Oh no..I have a Netherland Dwarf rabbit..one of the most gorgeous animals ever brought on to this Earth
Right on.

I was actually just looking for tennis balls, was waiting for some smartass remark to which I was going to see how many I could stuff up in down or through, well you know
__________________
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Reply With Quote
  #192  
Old 09-20-2018, 09:19 PM
Ken07AOVette's Avatar
Ken07AOVette Ken07AOVette is online now
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 17,849
Default

you watch, soon someone is going to say

'I don't like bunnies, saw one of Monty Python once, I think they should be banned....'
__________________
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Reply With Quote
  #193  
Old 09-20-2018, 09:37 PM
vcmm's Avatar
vcmm vcmm is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Vulcan Ab
Posts: 3,449
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
you watch, soon someone is going to say

'I don't like bunnies, saw one of Monty Python once, I think they should be banned....'
Okay I'll bite. BAN the bunnies, They have a hare trigger.
__________________
"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Reply With Quote
  #194  
Old 09-20-2018, 09:43 PM
Ken07AOVette's Avatar
Ken07AOVette Ken07AOVette is online now
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 17,849
Default

Haha ZING!!!
__________________
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Reply With Quote
  #195  
Old 09-20-2018, 10:23 PM
roper1 roper1 is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,647
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Im a big strong dude. If a cocker spaniel turns on me I like my chances. If one of the large working breeds does however, I hope I have a bat and big lunch to get through it.

That lady is an absolute hero...
Yessir, I still like your chances with 2 cockers turning on you, 2 of the other ones what do you want on your headstone?
__________________
Trump facts, Hillary facts, Internet facts, probably a dead heat.
Reply With Quote
  #196  
Old 09-21-2018, 12:06 AM
Tactical Lever Tactical Lever is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Fox Creek
Posts: 2,792
Default

Fact of the matter is, very few people have the faintest clue what they are doing concerning dogs. A few ill informed comments concerning the intelligence of "pit bull" owners. Yet hardly a soul has bothered to pick up some literature and read up on dogs.

Shortly after I grew thumbs, I started reading. Sometimes voraciously and up to 5 hours a night. I would nearly get through a Hardy Boys novel in a night when I was in grade 4.

My ability to flip through pages has helped me solve problems, further myself, and find out that factoid and bit of knowledge that nags through elusiveness. Will Chet get captured again? Why's Joe Hardy always punching solar plexises?

So when I looked for a family dog, I discounted a lot of dogs through my research. Akitas, did not make the cut. Huskies did not make the cut. Anything crossed with a wolf was not suitable. Chows did not make it either.

I also found that Staffordshire Terriers one of the many breeds that are referred to as a Pit Bull (pay attention, I'm spoon feeding a big hint), score significantly higher on a behavioural compliance index than Labrador Retrievers. This research was affirmed by kennel club dog experts, and not some "apologist" as some of you would like to say. They also score very well as family suitable dogs, by many actual dog experts, and backed up by older literature.

I could paste a page, that about 4% of you would bother to read, but many would dismiss it as "Pitbull apologist literature'', even though it predates any of that by a few decades. Rather you would all reference the same piece of garbage compiled of second hand reports, non verified by neither dog expert, or genetic testing. I am speaking of course, about dogbites.org. Merely a mess collected from paper clippings from the same reporters that confuse semi auto 22 rifles with Armalite select fire guns.

As it gets reported nearly every square headed dog suddenly becomes a pit bull.

Take the test, and post how well you identified the dogs!
__________________
Profanity is a poor substitute for a proper education.

Science is not a work in fantasy or simple conjecture, rather due process, repeatable and provable by observation and known facts.
Reply With Quote
  #197  
Old 09-21-2018, 12:20 AM
Tactical Lever Tactical Lever is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Fox Creek
Posts: 2,792
Default

It's sad that it happened, but it happened because they don't know dogs.

They picked breeds that characteristically make poor guard dogs. Dollars to donuts that they had didn't train the dogs themselves. Very (extremely) likely, it was some hack running a back yard breeding operation. Breeding dogs for human aggression (which is different from dog aggression, even though many will argue), and probably abusing them when "training".

Trained improperly, no doubt, as the dog did not consider his human family to be alpha. There is a hint in the story that alludes to this as well.

Neither do I believe there was no warning signs; most people just don't recognize.
__________________
Profanity is a poor substitute for a proper education.

Science is not a work in fantasy or simple conjecture, rather due process, repeatable and provable by observation and known facts.
Reply With Quote
  #198  
Old 09-21-2018, 01:48 AM
does it ALL outdoors's Avatar
does it ALL outdoors does it ALL outdoors is offline
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,035
Default

And again..

https://www.surreynowleader.com/news...n-north-delta/

Only this time the dog had previously attacked someone.

I would be ok with the owner catching some serious charges and a lawsuit.
Reply With Quote
  #199  
Old 09-21-2018, 09:03 AM
Twisted Canuck's Avatar
Twisted Canuck Twisted Canuck is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Alberta
Posts: 8,641
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
And again..

https://www.surreynowleader.com/news...n-north-delta/

Only this time the dog had previously attacked someone.

I would be ok with the owner catching some serious charges and a lawsuit.
It's the owner, not the dog. Again. And theses stories will just keep coming too, because....well, people have a right to own whatever animal they want.

And as you (and I) have said, it would be nice to see some responsibility and consequences to go along with that 'right'. Like serious prison time and massive fines.
__________________
'...for a Nation to try and tax itself to prosperity, is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself by the handle.'. Winston Churchill

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

"Slinte mhr agad!"
Reply With Quote
  #200  
Old 09-21-2018, 10:32 AM
bat119's Avatar
bat119 bat119 is online now
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: On the border in Lloydminster
Posts: 5,060
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
And as you (and I) have said, it would be nice to see some responsibility and consequences to go along with that 'right'. Like serious prison time and massive fines.
100% agree if want to own potentially dangerous stuff you should be responsible for it.
Reply With Quote
  #201  
Old 09-21-2018, 11:06 AM
Ken07AOVette's Avatar
Ken07AOVette Ken07AOVette is online now
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 17,849
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
It's the owner, not the dog. Again. And theses stories will just keep coming too, because....well, people have a right to own whatever animal they want.

And as you (and I) have said, it would be nice to see some responsibility and consequences to go along with that 'right'. Like serious prison time and massive fines.
No, the dog bit her not the owner. If the owner bit her it would be a different type of story. Zombies and all that.
__________________
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Reply With Quote
  #202  
Old 09-22-2018, 08:20 PM
Tactical Lever Tactical Lever is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Fox Creek
Posts: 2,792
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
And again..

https://www.surreynowleader.com/news...n-north-delta/

Only this time the dog had previously attacked someone.

I would be ok with the owner catching some serious charges and a lawsuit.
That will continue to be a problem, as long as there are dogs.

Good friends of ours had a few Bull Mastiffs. And they were good dogs. Big drooly, and with varying amounts of obedience. Good with kids too. Wouldn't be my first pick for a family dog perhaps. But they seemed to be decent guard dogs also.

One time, when the girls were home alone, and pretty young, someone tried getting in their front door. The current Mastiff (forget which) jumped up in a flash, and "bang!" slammed the door shut with 2 big paws. Growled deep, and stood there while one of the girls locked it. Didn't have to train that; just natural. But then they were bred to catch poachers on royal land.

They eventually got an American Pitbull Terrier, after some theft around their place. He wasn't near as good a guard dog, and about half the size, but the thefts stopped as thieves were intimidated by his look. Smartest of their dogs, and most people friendly.

You can't judge a breed on what 2 meth heads who let a little girl get ripped up are walking around. If there was no Mastiff or Pit, it would have been a different dog. Probably would have been a Husky, like the 2 that killed that little baby around Edmonton a couple years ago.

You could get rid of the Huskys too, which are a poor choice for having little kids, and it could be a Daschund like the one that chewed a babies legs off, in another room.

It's true that some bull breeds can be scrappy, and loathe to back down from other dogs. One of my teachers had what he described as a Pit Bull. He was walking with his girlfriend and dog when a guy was letting his aggressive German Shepherd jump up on his girlfriend. Sounded like he was trying to intimidate with his dog. He was warned to hold his dog back. He didn't, so my teacher unleashed his dog. Had that Shepherd dead in a few seconds. Tell me which dog is the problem dog.

Not a fan of German Shepherds myself. A friend who doesn't like Pits, just had to put his down because he bit a kid. They seem to make good police dogs, as they don't hesitate to latch onto people.

Yet people ignore that deliberate breeding and latch onto Pit Bulls supposedly being bred for fighting. Not originally, and not people! Completely opposite breeding goals. Not to mention that for the last 130 years, bull breeds were bred to be more social with other dogs.
__________________
Profanity is a poor substitute for a proper education.

Science is not a work in fantasy or simple conjecture, rather due process, repeatable and provable by observation and known facts.
Reply With Quote
  #203  
Old 09-22-2018, 08:26 PM
pikergolf's Avatar
pikergolf pikergolf is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,684
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
That will continue to be a problem, as long as there are dogs.

Good friends of ours had a few Bull Mastiffs. And they were good dogs. Big drooly, and with varying amounts of obedience. Good with kids too. Wouldn't be my first pick for a family dog perhaps. But they seemed to be decent guard dogs also.

One time, when the girls were home alone, and pretty young, someone tried getting in their front door. The current Mastiff (forget which) jumped up in a flash, and "bang!" slammed the door shut with 2 big paws. Growled deep, and stood there while one of the girls locked it. Didn't have to train that; just natural. But then they were bred to catch poachers on royal land.

They eventually got an American Pitbull Terrier, after some theft around their place. He wasn't near as good a guard dog, and about half the size, but the thefts stopped as thieves were intimidated by his look. Smartest of their dogs, and most people friendly.

You can't judge a breed on what 2 meth heads who let a little girl get ripped up are walking around. If there was no Mastiff or Pit, it would have been a different dog. Probably would have been a Husky, like the 2 that killed that little baby around Edmonton a couple years ago.

You could get rid of the Huskys too, which are a poor choice for having little kids, and it could be a Daschund like the one that chewed a babies legs off, in another room.

It's true that some bull breeds can be scrappy, and loathe to back down from other dogs. One of my teachers had what he described as a Pit Bull. He was walking with his girlfriend and dog when a guy was letting his aggressive German Shepherd jump up on his girlfriend. Sounded like he was trying to intimidate with his dog. He was warned to hold his dog back. He didn't, so my teacher unleashed his dog. Had that Shepherd dead in a few seconds. Tell me which dog is the problem dog.

Not a fan of German Shepherds myself. A friend who doesn't like Pits, just had to put his down because he bit a kid. They seem to make good police dogs, as they don't hesitate to latch onto people.

Yet people ignore that deliberate breeding and latch onto Pit Bulls supposedly being bred for fighting. Not originally, and not people! Completely opposite breeding goals. Not to mention that for the last 130 years, bull breeds were bred to be more social with other dogs.
People that would do this and people that brag about it on a message board are the problem. Just a bunch of juvenile posturing. That the problem with pitbull or bully dog owners, posturing to make themselves feel tough.
__________________
Hope is a powerful medicine.
Reply With Quote
  #204  
Old 09-22-2018, 09:11 PM
Tactical Lever Tactical Lever is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Fox Creek
Posts: 2,792
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
People that would do this and people that brag about it on a message board are the problem. Just a bunch of juvenile posturing. That the problem with pitbull or bully dog owners, posturing to make themselves feel tough.
Minding his own business, or someone relaying what happened is the problem?

Feminization of NA is the real problem here, if you think that he should have let that other dog maul his girlfriend. Or maybe he should have taken it on with his bare hands?

What would your avatar have done? You seem to admire this man of action movie character. Though I don't believe he had a six gun on his hip; or perhaps he would have shot it dead like Sam Elliott in a movie.
__________________
Profanity is a poor substitute for a proper education.

Science is not a work in fantasy or simple conjecture, rather due process, repeatable and provable by observation and known facts.
Reply With Quote
  #205  
Old 09-23-2018, 05:10 AM
pikergolf's Avatar
pikergolf pikergolf is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,684
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
Minding his own business, or someone relaying what happened is the problem?

Feminization of NA is the real problem here, if you think that he should have let that other dog maul his girlfriend. Or maybe he should have taken it on with his bare hands?

What would your avatar have done? You seem to admire this man of action movie character. Though I don't believe he had a six gun on his hip; or perhaps he would have shot it dead like Sam Elliott in a movie.
Having reread my post I would like to apologize for being overly opinionated and rude..

That being said, you said nothing of mauling, but that the other dog was jumping up on his girl friend. That is not mauling in my mind, but I was not there. If it was not a mauling there is no excuse for him turning his pit bull loose.

In my opinion, people looking for trouble usually find it.
__________________
Hope is a powerful medicine.

Last edited by pikergolf; 09-23-2018 at 05:21 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #206  
Old 09-23-2018, 09:33 AM
MK2750's Avatar
MK2750 MK2750 is online now
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Sylvan Lake
Posts: 2,685
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
That will continue to be a problem, as long as there are dogs.

Good friends of ours had a few Bull Mastiffs. And they were good dogs. Big drooly, and with varying amounts of obedience. Good with kids too. Wouldn't be my first pick for a family dog perhaps. But they seemed to be decent guard dogs also.

One time, when the girls were home alone, and pretty young, someone tried getting in their front door. The current Mastiff (forget which) jumped up in a flash, and "bang!" slammed the door shut with 2 big paws. Growled deep, and stood there while one of the girls locked it. Didn't have to train that; just natural. But then they were bred to catch poachers on royal land.

They eventually got an American Pitbull Terrier, after some theft around their place. He wasn't near as good a guard dog, and about half the size, but the thefts stopped as thieves were intimidated by his look. Smartest of their dogs, and most people friendly.

You can't judge a breed on what 2 meth heads who let a little girl get ripped up are walking around. If there was no Mastiff or Pit, it would have been a different dog. Probably would have been a Husky, like the 2 that killed that little baby around Edmonton a couple years ago.

You could get rid of the Huskys too, which are a poor choice for having little kids, and it could be a Daschund like the one that chewed a babies legs off, in another room.

It's true that some bull breeds can be scrappy, and loathe to back down from other dogs. One of my teachers had what he described as a Pit Bull. He was walking with his girlfriend and dog when a guy was letting his aggressive German Shepherd jump up on his girlfriend. Sounded like he was trying to intimidate with his dog. He was warned to hold his dog back. He didn't, so my teacher unleashed his dog. Had that Shepherd dead in a few seconds. Tell me which dog is the problem dog.

Not a fan of German Shepherds myself. A friend who doesn't like Pits, just had to put his down because he bit a kid. They seem to make good police dogs, as they don't hesitate to latch onto people.

Yet people ignore that deliberate breeding and latch onto Pit Bulls supposedly being bred for fighting. Not originally, and not people! Completely opposite breeding goals. Not to mention that for the last 130 years, bull breeds were bred to be more social with other dogs.
Are you for real? If everyone killed every dog that jumped up on them, there would be dead dogs all over the place.

The problem dog is the one that kills in case you are somehow in doubt, but I don't think any of the guard breeds are ideal house pets with children. The herding breeds like to bite instinctively as well and would actually be low on my want list as a house pet too.

Let's pretend that fighting dogs and attack type dogs are indeed intelligent, easy to train and are good pets when well looked after. How many people fail at training the most eager to please animal on the planet, the Labrador Retriever??? 20%, 50% 75%???

Screw up training your retriever and you lose a duck, miss a flush, have a little mess on the floor, maybe a few holes in the back yard, chewed up shoe or maybe some damaged furniture. This happens to like, nearly everybody??We all know what happens when an owner screws up an animal whose instinct is to attack and protect.
Reply With Quote
  #207  
Old 09-23-2018, 10:08 AM
Big Sky's Avatar
Big Sky Big Sky is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,533
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
It's true that some bull breeds can be scrappy, and loathe to back down from other dogs. One of my teachers had what he described as a Pit Bull. He was walking with his girlfriend and dog when a guy was letting his aggressive German Shepherd jump up on his girlfriend. Sounded like he was trying to intimidate with his dog. He was warned to hold his dog back. He didn't, so my teacher unleashed his dog. Had that Shepherd dead in a few seconds. Tell me which dog is the problem dog.
This is amazing!
What was the final outcome?
Did the GS owner report the incident? I would think that people would report having their dog killed by another dog.

Where and when was this? Is there a news report?
Reply With Quote
  #208  
Old 09-23-2018, 11:52 AM
MK2750's Avatar
MK2750 MK2750 is online now
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Sylvan Lake
Posts: 2,685
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
This is amazing!
What was the final outcome?
Did the GS owner report the incident? I would think that people would report having their dog killed by another dog.

Where and when was this? Is there a news report?
Just use a little imagination.

It's a beautiful day and buddy (we will call him teacher) is walking arm and arm with his girlfriend in the park. Of course his well behaved Pit Bull is walking calmly at heel. He's capable of putting down a German Shepard in less than a minute, but we will get to that.

Buddy number two enters the scene and thinks he should try to intimidate this nice couple and their dog. He's had this death wish for most of his life but in all his worldly travels he had yet to encounter anyone so ruthless and dangerous as teacher and his dog.

As a show of intimidation he has his German Shepard jump up on the unsuspecting lady of the couple. With Pit Bull still calmly at heel teacher shouts a warning "Control your dog or I will release the Kraken....I mean Pit Bull and he will mutilate your pathetic animal!"

But death wish buddy fails to heed the warning! Teacher looks to his side where Pit Bull is waiting and with one flick of the wrist the wrath of Pit Bull is unleashed.

Although untold, the rest of the story is easy to envision. With a snap of his fingers, teacher ends the vicious assault,,, but it is too late. Death wish buddy realizing the error of his ways now kneels beside his fallen comrade whimpering.

The young lady rushes into teacher's arms "Thank God you were here teacher!"

"No, no, thank Pit Bull my dear, thank Pit Bull." and the threesome walk off into the forest.

I don't know what is hard to understand here. This type of thing happens all the time in rural Alberta farmland only usually with a lot more Bull and not as much Pit.
Reply With Quote
  #209  
Old 09-23-2018, 12:08 PM
britman101 britman101 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 81
Default dog breeds

And this is where the problem starts, in my opinion. Once you have a dog that likes to scrap and fight you have a problem. For the dog owner you now have a four legged time bomb. The dog likes fighting and all it takes is for that trigger to set it off and the end result could be ugly.
Reply With Quote
  #210  
Old 09-23-2018, 12:31 PM
Bushrat's Avatar
Bushrat Bushrat is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,472
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
Just use a little imagination.

It's a beautiful day and buddy (we will call him teacher) is walking arm and arm with his girlfriend in the park. Of course his well behaved Pit Bull is walking calmly at heel. He's capable of putting down a German Shepard in less than a minute, but we will get to that.

Buddy number two enters the scene and thinks he should try to intimidate this nice couple and their dog. He's had this death wish for most of his life but in all his worldly travels he had yet to encounter anyone so ruthless and dangerous as teacher and his dog.

As a show of intimidation he has his German Shepard jump up on the unsuspecting lady of the couple. With Pit Bull still calmly at heel teacher shouts a warning "Control your dog or I will release the Kraken....I mean Pit Bull and he will mutilate your pathetic animal!"

But death wish buddy fails to heed the warning! Teacher looks to his side where Pit Bull is waiting and with one flick of the wrist the wrath of Pit Bull is unleashed.

Although untold, the rest of the story is easy to envision. With a snap of his fingers, teacher ends the vicious assault,,, but it is too late. Death wish buddy realizing the error of his ways now kneels beside his fallen comrade whimpering.

The young lady rushes into teacher's arms "Thank God you were here teacher!"

"No, no, thank Pit Bull my dear, thank Pit Bull." and the threesome walk off into the forest.

I don't know what is hard to understand here. This type of thing happens all the time in rural Alberta farmland only usually with a lot more Bull and not as much Pit.
Problem is it's the other way around 90% of the time.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.