Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-16-2018, 07:41 PM

Exclamation gunsmith to thread 20g shotgun barrel

Looking for a AB gunsmith, who can thread my old 20g barrel.

Other option is to send it south to USA to Briley to get the barrel threaded for big $$.

Comes off a mint 20g wingmaster. Was planning to get muzzle reamed out but to my suprise, the choke is allready .000. Need threads installed.

Reply or PM for info. Should be cheaper to send to AB rather then USA
Old 09-17-2018, 10:05 AM

You're in a shock. Sending a firearm to the states for repair is pricey.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:13 AM

I believe EM precision started threading shotgun barrels, not sure if they do 20ga though. Might be worth calling them
Old 09-17-2018, 11:48 AM

FPS is the name of on of our AO members. He does threading. I have never personally had him do anything but he definitely know what he is talking about based on a couple of posts I have seen. Bashaw sports was the other place that did this work.

If you can't get it done here it would be cheaper to buy a threaded replacement barrel than to send yours to the States.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
FPS is the name of on of our AO members. He does threading. I have never personally had him do anything but he definitely know what he is talking about based on a couple of posts I have seen. Bashaw sports was the other place that did this work.

If you can't get it done here it would be cheaper to buy a threaded replacement barrel than to send yours to the States.
I have never purchased the tooling for doing 20 ga only 12ga . There are so few 20 ga barrels that meet the measurements required to install threaded chokes that I feel it is not worth the capital to invest in tooling. And yes I do run a gunsmithing business. Unfortunately I don’t know who to direct one to for 20 ga bbls
Old 09-17-2018, 02:19 PM

I don't think I'd ever send a barrel to the states to get it threaded for choke tubes, but I've approached a few gunsmiths here in Ontario with questions like this, didn't seem to be any issues. I know of some guys who sent barrels to Epp's in Ontario (CGN Sponsor, old-school gun shop, good reputation) for threading. I know of another shop that specializes in 870 everything...but he's busy and lead times can be out there a bit. PM me if you want to know more.

Unless it's a large-frame 20ga Wingmaster, you could also look at fit compatibility with a modern, 20ga "Express" barrel and consider buying one of those. Finish wouldn't match (dull/bead-blasted-looking Express vs. shiny/blue of an older Wingmaster) It WOULD go bang every time, and save you some $ too.

Another option might be looking for a threaded barrel out of the US via eBay, GunBroker, etc. and have Clay @ Prophet River import it for you. I bought an 870 Barrel off of eBay with that plan, absolutely seamless process if you're patient. Reasonably priced too.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:39 PM

Well Zeke, I replied to your P.M. but I am not telling you any more than you already know based on the above replies. Sorry I can't be of any help. D.H.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:16 PM

Default 20 gauge chokes

Donsgunsmthing in rocky mountain house,we have been doing 12 and 20 ga. for over 25 years.65.00 to ream and thread, plus the cost of what ever choke tubes you want. Don
Old 09-18-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsrocky View Post
Donsgunsmthing in rocky mountain house,we have been doing 12 and 20 ga. for over 25 years.65.00 to ream and thread, plus the cost of what ever choke tubes you want. Don
Do you do sxs and over and unders as well. Some of the older german and spainish funs would reallly benefit from steel capable choke tubes.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:53 PM

A lot of European shotguns have chrome lined barrels , which is not compatible to ream with high speed steel reamer/taps . It’s not insurmountable problem but has to be dealt with.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:55 PM

Thanks Don, I didn't know that you were tooled up for 20 gauge. Zeke, you should follow up on this offer from Don's Gunsmithing, just north of RMH on Hwy 22.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:23 PM

If that's a 2 3/4" barrel and you want to use steel , you better try and find 2 3/4" steel shot before you spend money putting a choke in it. 20 ga 2 3/4" steel is near impossible to find.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:52 AM

Thumbs up

Thanks for the replies guys!!

Yes it is a large frame 20g , making it harder to find an actual replacement.

I will PM Donsgunsmithing to see how to ship my barrel.

It is in fact a magnum 20g, shoots 3"

Once again, thanks for the help boys