Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-19-2018, 12:32 PM

Default Goose Hunt: "Sharing" a field

My parent's field currently has thousands of geese on it, all spread out over a half - section. Me and my brother will be hunting there on the weekend, and two other family members also want to hunt there. The problem is that the other two family members usually do not have good luck, and I heard that this year they will be setting up a bale fort instead of using coffin blinds. My brother and I don't really want to hunt WITH them, so we are considering spreading ourselves out across the half section. I am of the opinion that this could work, while my brother thinks that the geese will be twice as spooked if there are other hunters and that we should take our chances and combine with the other family members. My question is, is a half section big enough for us to share (spread out), if there is basically a guarantee that lots of geese will be coming in that day.

Last edited by Joezam18; 09-19-2018 at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:38 PM

this might work but the group that has the better set up will probably get more birds to work. I know people who had permission on the same field as an outfitter last year so they set up in the field on different spots and the outfitter killed WAY more birds as they had a better set up.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:54 PM

If it's a half section with thousands of geese spread out all over it, you are probably better splitting up in order to keep the birds from landing on the field away from your spread,,, hard to compete with live decoys on the ground 1/2 mile away on the same field.

If the two sets are several hundred yards apart you can keep the birds moving and the action around one shouldn't really bother the other set too much.

It sounds like it could be a good shoot,,, it will be a fun test of your different seats too!!!

Good luck!
Old 09-19-2018, 01:03 PM

I personally wouldn't want to hunt a field that someone else is shooting on. Ive done the same thing on a full section---off the birds went--we were happy--other group, not so much.

I use the haybale and have no issues---with that many birds, I wouldn't worry about it--just try and call the shots together
Old 09-19-2018, 08:31 PM

Default Sharing a field

1/2 section with lots of birds,awesome
Let the other family members pick a spot in the field then you and your brother pick a better spot or next best, and see how it goes. Never hurts to try it with a large amount of birds in there.
P.S Remember, never trust a goose
Old 09-19-2018, 10:05 PM

I have shared a 1/4 section many times with other groups and have had great shoots. The most important thing is to be where the birds want to be.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:57 AM

We have split fields a few times, twice on 1/2 sections with split flocks. Ours was the better setup or in the better spot, we even gave the other guys their choice of which end they wanted. Had a few really good hunts on our part. But it is taking a chance, never know how it can turn out til you try it.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
We have split fields a few times, twice on 1/2 sections with split flocks. Ours was the better setup or in the better spot, we even gave the other guys their choice of which end they wanted. Had a few really good hunts on our part. But it is taking a chance, never know how it can turn out til you try it.
Last Saturday we scared off birds that landed across the field from us at least three times, so a split field might have worked out in that situation. However, as you posted, the results are unpredictable, and I would not intentionally be getting up at 4am and setting up, knowing that someone else was hunting the same field.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:36 AM

I look at a quarter as a field and wouldn't split it. But a half section if the spreads are set up far enough a part wouldn't bother me. It at least keeps the geese from landing in the other half and drawing all the birds over. 50 live geese attract birds better than any spread I have ever hunted over.
Old 09-20-2018, 01:08 PM

Sounds like the other two family members are not your brother or sister so you hold the ace.

You pick your spot and let them know they can hunt anywhere else as long as they are a minimum and I mean the absolute minimum of 500 meters away from your set up and they are set and in position at least 1 hr. before sunrise so as not to bugger up your hunt. You could if you have time check it for them and you will most likely find it is a mess no goose would ever fall for.

i have had to put up with this same deal several times when I used to guide. A pain but it can work out but only if you insist on the primo spot the birds are landing in. The other parties if they know how to set a spread and conceal themselves will also get some birds.
Old 09-30-2018, 06:50 PM

so a 1/2 section is 1 mile long 1/2 mile wide
how many times has someone set up on the next 1/4 or next field to the one yer in??
to many times to count, pick a 1/4 and make sure they stay at least 600 yards away , should work out in your favour cuz you know the 1/2 section better then they do I'm willing to bet
let us know how it worked out for you please
shoot where their
going not where they been,
Old 09-30-2018, 09:56 PM

Not field hunting but......I’ve hunted big marshes back east where there are dozens of blinds on opening day,sounds like WW3,lol...good times!!
Anyhow,we’ve found the duck shooting is actually better oftentimes with more hunters on the marsh to keep them from settling in,ie;when opening day falls on a weekend,more the merrier imho.
Actually tomorrow,October 1st is the opener in NB(and also Dad’s 73rd birthday/thx for reminder to call)....opening day of duck season was like Christmas morning for me back in the day,tonight 30/09 I’d be like a lil kid on Christmas Eve could hardly sleep,lol
Old 10-01-2018, 08:22 AM

Here’s my two cents; no point in creating tension between family members, this can make for brutal reunions and Christmas dinners. Instead of deciding who get the more productive side of the field, why not let me and my buddy’s do the hard work for you? We’d be more than happy to share a few birds out of the thousand. You can PM me day or night
Old 10-01-2018, 01:08 PM

I grew up hunting the rivers/marshes for ducks/geese in NB as well. October 1st every year got to skip school to hunt with family. Could hear the guns start up and that would keep the birds in the air. Ive never seen huge flocks like we have out here. I assume you would be able to limit out easily in a few minutes. Hunt with your family or share the space sounds like lots of geese. Be safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
Not field hunting but......I’ve hunted big marshes back east where there are dozens of blinds on opening day,sounds like WW3,lol...good times!!

Anyhow,we’ve found the duck shooting is actually better oftentimes with more hunters on the marsh to keep them from settling in,ie;when opening day falls on a weekend,more the merrier imho.

Actually tomorrow,October 1st is the opener in NB(and also Dad’s 73rd birthday/thx for reminder to call)....opening day of duck season was like Christmas morning for me back in the day,tonight 30/09 I’d be like a lil kid on Christmas Eve could hardly sleep,lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-01-2018, 11:22 PM

Well on the day in question, there was a wicked wind, it was snowing, and -3. We decided to all huddle together in the big bale/ willow blind. (didn't split up) It worked out great, I got to stay warmer than I would have been in a coffin blind, we had no trouble getting geese to come in, and the coffee and bull**** flowed all morning. Not to mention, the 5 of us combined for 40 geese. Thanks for the replies everyone.

Last edited by Joezam18; 10-01-2018 at 11:34 PM.
Old 10-06-2018, 12:33 PM

We ended up sharing a field this morning, when we were setting up near the edge of one field, and another group came to set up near us on the adjoining field. Two different landowners, had given permission and although the geese were in our field the previous day, we decided the best solution was to invite them to join our hunt. We ended up with seven shooters and about fifteen dozen decoys, which is a lot to co-ordinate, but we made it work. Two of the other fellows were easy to get along with, and although the third was annoying to say the least, everyone appeared to enjoy themselves. We had issues with frost n the decoys , and the one individual that wanted to stick his face out of his blind to see everything, both of which flared some birds, but we did still manage to kill 32 geese and 9 ducks.
Old 10-06-2018, 12:39 PM

Elk is being nice. Guy was a first class jerk.

Folks, when you are hunting with strangers who have kindly invited you to join them, don't start barking, blaming, and yelling at them. Had to restrain myself on a few occasions from ripping hi a new one. Sheesh.
Old 10-06-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Elk is being nice. Guy was a first class jerk.

Folks, when you are hunting with strangers who have kindly invited you to join them, don't start barking, blaming, and yelling at them. Had to restrain myself on a few occasions from ripping hi a new one. Sheesh.
It was trying at times, especially when I realized that he was the same person that jumped our field a few weeks ago, but losing our tempers was not likely going to improve the situation. The two young fellows dd contribute to the hunt, and I would hunt with them anytime.
Old 10-06-2018, 01:52 PM

As the perverbial 4th wheel on the shoot(Thanks again SNS2, and Elkhunter11)

I can vouch that the older of the late invitees needed to take about 20% off the top, and mind his bloody manners. Even the one young fellow said that the older guy was a PITA, and the only reason he fell in with him was he was a beginner and had very little in the way of decoys and such. Now that he’s acquiring his own gear the old guy isn’t gonna be coming along too much in the future.

But considering we had 7 shooters it still wasn’t too bad of a time, it woulda been a great time if the schnook woulda been elsewhere.

There are no absolutes
Old 10-07-2018, 11:51 AM

That is why I don’t share fields. Trying to make it work can be very difficult with some personalities. It happened to me this am on a field, the landowner told me another party had permission as well. Scout and hunt the afternoon is usually my solution. No sense starting a fight over a limit of geese either. Usually the landowner finds out about that and then the broad ban hammer comes down. I just move on with a smile on my face and wish them a great hunt.
Old 10-07-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganderblaster View Post
That is why I don’t share fields. Trying to make it work can be very difficult with some personalities. It happened to me this am on a field, the landowner told me another party had permission as well. Scout and hunt the afternoon is usually my solution. No sense starting a fight over a limit of geese either. Usually the landowner finds out about that and then the broad ban hammer comes down. I just move on with a smile on my face and wish them a great hunt.
I wouldn't have bothered to show up if I knew someone else had permission on the same field. Ours was a case of two different fields, each owned by a different landowner.
Old 10-07-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganderblaster View Post
And that is exactly why Elk11 and I discussed in advance what we would do if this were to happen. We thought being neighborly would be the way to go. I will try again, as I have met a lot of nice fellas while hunting, but this one didn't qualify. LOL.