Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-07-2019, 08:22 PM

Default Importing a scope into Canada - walkthrough

I posted this on CGN, but I'll put it here as well, hopefully it has value:

I just got a scope in the mail from the US, I'm gonna give a detailed walk through on the form(s) and process, though its very simple:

Find a retailer in the US that will send in the export paperwork, I used Euro optic LTD as they were easy to deal with, quick and did not charge a fee to send in for export permit.

Step 1.
Find retailer (who will do the export), you will need
  • PO number, you need to purchase before starting the import paperwork
  • owner name (not salesman)
  • address
  • phone number
Request and recieve the info and quote first before starting on to next steps

step two:

go here:
https://www.excol-ceed.gc.ca/Main-Pr...e_Accueil.aspx

and click here (circled):

step three:

if you have the phone number filled out in a different format it will not work (without the dashes) The number chose was from a song "Jenny Jenny, tell me your number!"

hit submit and it will move you to the next tab.

step four:

click this button to autofill the second tab

Step 5:

Fill out and submit the third tab, owner name acquired from step 1

Step 6:

click the by applicant, it will autofill

Step 7:

fill in the PO number and selection tabs (PO number from sales receipt in step 1)

hit submit (the same screen/tab will stay here, but with a text link about entering item for next step)

Step 8:

Step 9:

click here (circled)

Step 10:

add items, use description per sales receipt

Step 11:

and send it! (Hit accept at bottom)

The document will be sent to the government, it took about a week to recieve an email which is then forwarded to the vendor, who can now apply for an export permit:

it will look like this (as a PDF received in an email):

Step 12:

email the import doc to retailer

Essentially you are done at this point, I recieved a text about 3 weeks later from their shipper (DHL) to allow drop off with out signature, and then a couple days later a text to pay customs fees, meaning the retailer had received export permit.

You may be able to refuse pickup, and pay the customs fees at the nearest customs office to save some of the money. On a $300 USD scope the bill was about $36CAD for me so I just paid it rather than try and save a couple bucks. Google "UPS customs fees" to find out how to save overcharges by UPS or other shippers.

Timelines per my experience:
Pay for item, get info 1 day
Submit and then receive paperwork for import 1 week
Export paperwork before item can ship 3 weeks
ship/delivery 5 days

IMPORTANT NOTE:
Some manufacturers have strict agreements and policies about retailers shipping to Canada, you may get a retailer in trouble if you were to announce to say, sales reps at a gunshow in the US or Canada. As per my experience and someone repeating what I'm posting I'm not sure if Euro Optic will sell the specific brand scope out of the US. I would suggest discretion in repeating two pieces of info together (what, and where from) if you find a great deal and would like to share, check if the retailer has any hesitation to announcing online, if you don't know id suggest posting price but not the retailer, if someone else wants to know where they can PM you.

On my specific item I'm about $521 all in in a item that runs about $767 after taxes, so 2/3 local price with a month wait. If you have the funds though do the community a favour and support site vendors if you can. If you find a smoking deal on a discontinued or demo item, make that call yourself.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:22 PM

Awesome info!!
Thanks for taking the time to post this.
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 10-08-2019, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoKilo View Post
Awesome info!!
Thanks for taking the time to post this.
Its nice to hear a "thanks" once in a while, that took me some time to write that up. On the other forum I just got comments about anything I may have forgotten:

Check if warranty will work the same in Canada
Old 10-08-2019, 08:34 AM

Thanks for the awesome instructions!
Old 10-08-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
Thanks for the awesome instructions!
Your welcome, check out some of the deals from Europtic dot com, keefer was great help over there.
Old 10-08-2019, 12:32 PM

Did this a few years ago; decided to buy from Europe instead to avoid the paperwork. The U.S has strict export conditions. Also scopes don’t have tariffs on them at least not during the time I purchased. I initially had to pay on delivery but thence further follow up I had the amount refunded.
Old 10-08-2019, 12:59 PM

BUYER BEWARE! FOLLOWING THIS ADVICE COULD LAND YOU IN BIG TROUBLE!!! While what you did from a Canadian perspective is fine, from the American side of things what you did is illegal and could land the person/dealer you bought from in big trouble. American dealers must ship from an FFL to an FFL (e.g. Prophet River) and you must have an Export permit from the United States which the FFL will provide. That goes for scopes, rings, bases, rails, bipods, etc. Basically anything that is a firearm or firearm accessory.

Same goes if you travel to the states. You can buy a scope down there yourself and drive it across the border. Declare it like you would anything else and you're good to go. Problem is if you get stopped by American border patrol on the way to the border and they determine that you're exporting a scope and you're in big big trouble.

See this thread from Hunting BC for an example of what can go wrong.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpwrestler View Post
BUYER BEWARE! FOLLOWING THIS ADVICE COULD LAND YOU IN BIG TROUBLE!!! While what you did from a Canadian perspective is fine, from the American side of things what you did is illegal and could land the person/dealer you bought from in big trouble. American dealers must ship from an FFL to an FFL (e.g. Prophet River) and you must have an Export permit from the United States which the FFL will provide. That goes for scopes, rings, bases, rails, bipods, etc. Basically anything that is a firearm or firearm accessory.

Same goes if you travel to the states. You can buy a scope down there yourself and drive it across the border. Declare it like you would anything else and you're good to go. Problem is if you get stopped by American border patrol on the way to the border and they determine that you're exporting a scope and you're in big big trouble.

See this thread from Hunting BC for an example of what can go wrong.

Did you read any of the first post? This is about purchasing online from a US retailer who can do export paperwork. I said nothing about driving across the border, and I also disclaimed to check that they can do export paperwork....

Last edited by cody c; 10-09-2019 at 09:05 AM.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:08 AM

Cody

Great job, thanks for all the work that went into it. A guy saves a bunch on one scope, getting 2 or 3 at one time would really save a bunch and make the paper work a little less of an issue. One other thing, if you buy through IRguns they do all the paper work and there are no import fees or duties just shipping costs. They carry Leupold, Weaver, Redfield and at least 40 other brands of scopes, don't think they carry Vortex though so it wouldn't have helped you. This also works buying any guns they have listed on their US site.

https://www.irunguns.com/
Old 10-09-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Cody

Great job, thanks for all the work that went into it. A guy saves a bunch on one scope, getting 2 or 3 at one time would really save a bunch and make the paper work a little less of an issue. One other thing, if you buy through IRguns they do all the paper work and there are no import fees or duties just shipping costs. They carry Leupold, Weaver, Redfield and at least 40 other brands of scopes, don't think they carry Vortex though so it wouldn't have helped you. This also works buying any guns they have listed on their US site.

https://www.irunguns.com/
You are correct, but on scopes they dont carry the costs are higher, for the scope in question (stock clear out $299) it was about $225 in charges through IRG making them not the best option in that situation.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody c View Post
Did you read any of the first post? This is about purchasing online from a US retailer who can do export paperwork. I said nothing about driving across the border, and I also disclaimed to check that they can do export paperwork....
I did read it and if they're shipping it directly to you, then they are in violation of American law. Firearms and firearms parts cannot be shipped directly to an individual in Canada, they must be shipped to an FFL. If they're not getting that right, then they are completing the proper paperwork.

There's a reason that virtually every major retailer will not accept orders from Canadian credit cards when purchasing firearms parts: they know it involves a ton of paperwork that they won't do.

I had a look at irunguns, and they follow the proper procedures because they ship directly to their warehouse in Canada first i.e. a Canadian FFL, then to the end consumer.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:26 AM

You do know there was some changes to that in the US recently?

What was with the warning about driving scopes across the border if you read it? It had nothing to do with my post.

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/...l1-part126.xml

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hsyupg]

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=fddc761d98c2a6313f5ce5d778da407b&mc=true&n ode=pt22.1.121&rgn=div5

Last edited by cody c; 10-09-2019 at 11:52 AM.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:58 AM

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hsySQJ]

Rifle scopes with the following items are on the list

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hsySQy]

These would be classified items as above, the exclusion is for unclassified as I understand. Essentially night vision and ballistic/ranging functions make them classified (as I read it). Feel free to back up any of your statements above with clips from the law.

Last edited by cody c; 10-09-2019 at 12:08 PM.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
I did read it and if they're shipping it directly to you, then they are in violation of American law. Firearms and firearms parts cannot be shipped directly to an individual in Canada, they must be shipped to an FFL. If they're not getting that right, then they are completing the proper paperwork.

There's a reason that virtually every major retailer will not accept orders from Canadian credit cards when purchasing firearms parts: they know it involves a ton of paperwork that they won't do.
snip
AFAIK and IMHE, this is not accurate.

Specifically 'listed' parts such as receivers, barrels, bullets, primers, brass, & powder (including powder mfg in Canada), and any parts or scopes (or other) 'listed' as ITAR require specific export permits.
Some scopes (most with tactical reticles) are 'listed' as ITAR, many/most 'hunting' scopes are not ITAR. Night vision and some ballistic calculation scopes and range finders (and MANY other products) may also require ITAR permits for export, (most are >US$500).

Many 'allied' countries are eligible for a US$100 export permit exemption (not including shipping) for UNLISTED firearm parts. The export permit exemption for shipping to Canada is US$500.
Some US suppliers may require an end user declaration (and undertaking not to further export) before shipping US$100-500 in 'unlisted' firearm parts.
In general, P-rails, mounts and rings are not 'listed', or 'ITAR listed', parts and <US$500 can be shipped to Canada without an export permit.
Other non-firearm parts or tools may be included in a shipment with <US$500 of 'unlisted' firearm parts.

IIRC, an export permit can only be issued to a US resident person or Corp.
An International Import Permit is required to be included with all applications for export permits. (Import permits may expire before an export permit application is finally issued, = begin entire application process again.)

Manufacturers (or gunsmiths), may require yearly export licenses (=~US$2,500 or more) for their products to be exported by a retailer. Many small US mfg. do not purchase yearly export permits, as our market does not justify the cost. It is a grey area as to whether products (<US$500) from these mfg can be exported to Canada by an individual in the USA.

Frequent importers can obtain blanket import & export permits for a specific $ max (but no specific product model) to be shipped as required during the term, (often yearly).

In addition to the generality of the above,
firearm and ITAR requirements are regulated by the Dept of State, and optics and shotguns are regulated by the Dept of Commerce.
Dept of State permit & application fees can be substantial, Dept of Commerce fees can be much lower.

Many large suppliers maintain export desks with well qualified persons to ensure compliance with ALL regulations and restrictions. They are usually VERY helpful.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 10-09-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hsySQJ]

Rifle scopes with the following items are on the list

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hsySQy]

These would be classified items as above, the exclusion is for unclassified as I understand. Essentially night vision and ballistic/ranging functions make them classified (as I read it). Feel free to back up any of your statements above with clips from the law.
You're getting hung up on the driving portion. That was just an example. The first paragraph in my first post specifically references shipping and that is the issue.

For those following, the quotes you took are from the United States Munitions List (USML) which defines the items that are prohibited for export under the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and actually prove my point. US Border patrol views firearms parts, including "electronic OR optical weapon positioning" i.e. scopes [emphasis added] as restricted.

As you pointed out, the USML includes a prohibition against

"(f) Riflescopes manufactured to military specifications (See category XII(c) for controls on night sighting devices.)"

Category XII which clarifies the excerpt above says:

"Category XII - Fire Control, Laser, Imaging, and Guidance Equipment
Fire control, aiming, detection, guidance, and tracking systems, as follows:

* (1) Fire control systems;

* (2) Electronic or optical weapon positioning, laying, or spotting systems;

* (3) Laser spot trackers or laser spot detection, location, or imaging systems, with an operational wavelength shorter than 400 nm or longer than 710 nm and that are for laser target designators or coded target markers controlled in paragraph (b)(1);"

For further clarification, you can see this document which specifically clarifies that basically all hunting optics are controlled items with respect to export (see page 40120)

11. In Supplement No. 1 to part 774,
Category 0, ECCN 0A987, revise the
heading and the ‘‘Items’’ paragraph of
the ‘‘List of Items Controlled’’ section to
read as follows:
0A987 Optical sighting devices for firearms
(including shotguns controlled by 0A984);
and parts (See list of items controlled).
List of Items Controlled
Unit: * * *
Related Controls: * * *
Related Definitions: * * *
Items: a. Telescopic sights.
b. Holographic sights.
c. Reflex or ‘‘red dot’’ sights.
d. Reticle sights.
e. Other sighting devices that contain
optical elements.
f. Laser pointing devices designed for use
on firearms.
g. Lenses, other optical elements and
adjustment mechanisms for articles in
paragraphs a, b, c, d or e. "

In other words, electronic and optical weapon positioning aka scopes, are prohibited from export to Canada (by land or mail) without completing the the proper American paperwork and procedures.

An example of the proper paperwork and procedures can be on Prophet River's website here where they go specifically mention Optics. For the record, I have no affiliation with Prophet River and have never used them. I just know that they are one of the few Canadian businesses that are willing to follow proper procedures and they charge for it because it's a lot of work and they are an FFL which I believe, but could not confirm, is one of the requirements.

Here's an article from the Canadian Firearms Blog that summarizes what I just said. The title says guns, but the content also mentions that optics are subject to the same restrictions.

Still have doubts? Call Prophet River Firearms and ask why they charge to import guns and gun parts (including scopes) or call Irunguns and ask why they have to ship to their own warehouse first before shipping to end users.

Still have doubts? Check out the many other threads on this subject from Hunting BC, Canadiangunnutz, or AO.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...ing-the-border
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...scope-from-USA
https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...oss-the-border
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=88574
Old 10-09-2019, 01:57 PM

Let me also say that this is not personal. I think we agree that neither of us want to see anyone break the law.
Old 10-09-2019, 02:04 PM

I'm glad you actually linked info, that may be an older document, if you look in the munitions list it excludes or rather says USCBP and post shall permit them.

I have talked to Prophet River, good fellas, purchased a few things from them. havent chatted lately.

There is a scope at home in the safe now (below) that you can argue with in person that it is not possible and prohibited for it to be here if you want.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hsFBJb]

Stock is in progress. There was a USCBP or something paper in the box with it. I tossed it, it had both their and DHL's info on it so it did go through inspection/review.

Last edited by cody c; 10-09-2019 at 02:10 PM.
Old 10-09-2019, 02:13 PM

I didn't say it was not possible. I said it was not legal from the American side if the proper paperwork and procedure hasn't been completed. If that's the case you're putting the shipper and yourself at risk. If it's a risk a person is willing to take, then by all means go for it. It's just important to for people to know the risks before they make the decision.

Also note that the document you quoted and highlighted with respect to changes stopped four words short of the critical information. Those four words say "of unclassified defense articles" and as I demonstrated in my post, virtually all hunting optics are classified defense articles therefore they are not subject to the exemption.
Old 10-09-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
I didn't say it was not possible. I said it was not legal from the American side if the proper paperwork and procedure hasn't been completed. If that's the case you're putting the shipper and yourself at risk. If it's a risk a person is willing to take, then by all means go for it. It's just important to for people to know the risks before they make the decision.

Also note that the document you quoted and highlighted with respect to changes stopped four words short of the critical information. Those four words say "of unclassified defense articles" and as I demonstrated in my post, virtually all hunting optics are classified defense articles therefore they are not subject to the exemption.
Its good that your concerned that other people in other countries perform their paperwork and procedures properly with export. Not really interested in continuing this dispute with you anymore, I'm sure you can relate, thanks for your PSA of your concerns, hopefully people consider them, good day/bye.
Old 10-09-2019, 02:45 PM

I need to eat some humble pie. I did some further research and you were right about everything so long as the retailer has all the correct licenses and is willing to do the work. Most charge for that, if Europtic doesn't that's a great deal.

If you're buying from a forum, private seller, ebay, or retailer that doesn't have the right paperwork then the advice I gave should be considered.

My apologies to everyone for the confusion. I'd delete/edit my other messages if I could, but I don't see how I can... Maybe the mods can help.
Old 10-09-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
I need to eat some humble pie. I did some further research and you were right about everything so long as the retailer has all the correct licenses and is willing to do the work. Most charge for that, if Europtic doesn't that's a great deal.

If you're buying from a forum, private seller, ebay, or retailer that doesn't have the right paperwork then the advice I gave should be considered.

My apologies to everyone for the confusion. I'd delete/edit my other messages if I could, but I don't see how I can... Maybe the mods can help.
It is really good you came back on, cleared it up, and admitted your error. There is SO MUCH BAD and wrong info on this topic it is good to get a thread with very clear and correct info. Once again, thanks to Cody C for all the hard work, research and effort that went into providing this information that will be useful to many people here and on CGN.
Old 10-12-2019, 08:48 AM

Thanks to the OP very much for the current and easy to follow instructions. Glad to see the restrictions have changed to allow USA to Canada sales of these items.
And cpwrestler, the rules and regulations are complex and ever changing, so a mistake is easy to understand. And you did the right thing, admitting your mistake.
Excellent post.
Ken
Old 10-12-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GummyMonster View Post
Thanks to the OP very much for the current and easy to follow instructions. Glad to see the restrictions have changed to allow USA to Canada sales of these items.
And cpwrestler, the rules and regulations are complex and ever changing, so a mistake is easy to understand. And you did the right thing, admitting your mistake.
Excellent post.
Ken
Someone else PM'd me and is going to purchase an optic using the same method. I hope they post they're experience, and that they're experience is at least as easy as mine. I did edit/revise a similar first post at CGN for clarity, I would do the same here except for my inability to edit at this forum. If you get stuck on something feel free to PM me or have a look in the optics section at CGN.

If your curious about deals, check the saled/discounts/discontinued at Euro Optic and give them a phone call. When you find an importer you'll need to ask owners name and preferred phone number to fill out the import paperwork, so ask for that up front.
Old 10-12-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
snip
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hsFBJb]

Stock is in progress. There was a USCBP or something paper in the box with it. I tossed it, it had both their and DHL's info on it so it did go through inspection/review.
Did you purchase this stock as an 'unfinished' blank intended for custom fitting?
From the USA, & >US$500?

It appears your rings have been nicely 'de-horned', with sharp corners and edges nicely rounded and smoothed.
IMHO, many CNC machined parts (and especially tools) can have sharp edges and corners, which detract from a nice 'feel' when handling.
Did you also remove any 'sharp' edges that could mark the scope tube?
How do you intend to 'finish' the 'de-horned' areas?

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 10-12-2019, 02:02 PM

Euro Optics is very, very well aware of the US export restrictions, they were one of the ones nailed to the wall on it when Cabelas and Basspro and etc got nailed the first time around. That is why they have the rules for international shipping posted the way they do. And there are scopes they cannot export, no matter what. People like them and Brownell's and Natchezz are not in any danger of running afoul of the ITAR regs down there these days. What they can ship, they will ship, what they can't, they won't.
Old 10-12-2019, 03:37 PM

Hey qwert, it's a one off, ultra light balsa wood, integrated aluminum rails and bedding, two layers of carbon, my first go at it. The rings are "dehorned" as you say. They are being "modded" slightly and I'll run my 30mm bar though to lap before I'm done. I'll post a build thread when it's closer to finished, but it's a 788 made more compact and with integrated bipod and lines to slide in and out of a back scabbard easier.
Old 10-12-2019, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Hey qwert, it's a one off, ultra light balsa wood, integrated aluminum rails and bedding, two layers of carbon, my first go at it. The rings are "dehorned" as you say. They are being "modded" slightly and I'll run my 30mm bar though to lap before I'm done. I'll post a build thread when it's closer to finished, but it's a 788 made more compact and with integrated bipod and lines to slide in and out of a back scabbard easier.
Very impressive, I hope you have pictures during fabrication. I look forward to seeing them.

I am currently doing a custom fit on a target 22. It is nice to fit & test then refit.
Epoxy is neat stuff, Tibor @ Industrial Plastics in Calgary has been a great help.

My views of 'lapping rings' are previously stated, I suspect if you properly epoxy bed your P-rail, little or no 'lapping' will be required.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 10-12-2019, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert View Post
Very impressive, I hope you have pictures during fabrication. I look forward to seeing them.

I am currently doing a custom fit on a target 22. It is nice to fit & test then refit.
Epoxy is neat stuff, Tibor @ Industrial Plastics in Calgary has been a great help.

My views of 'lapping rings' are previously stated, I suspect if you properly epoxy bed your P-rail, little or no 'lapping' will be required.

Good Luck, YMMV.
I had a couple sets of,the same cheap 6 screw tactical style rings, I lapped another set and by the wear marks from lapping they really didn't need it, being a softer metal it's not really needed for the most part as they will contort to the scope instead of vice versa, I just want to check for straightness and clean any high spots.

The other thing I'm doing is replacing the cross bolt with a larger one, and squaring the sides so it fits tight between the picatinny lugs. I dislike the common use of weaver width bolts on a pic rail giving it wiggle room for movement during recoil.

Not bothering with epoxy bedding the rail, this is my third EGW rail and they've all been perfect. I did however tap,a fourth hole for the 788 action. They use 3 screws (8t-32) instead of 700 style (4 x 6-32). I might be off on the thread pitch, can't remember exactly off hand.
Old 10-12-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
I had a couple sets of,the same cheap 6 screw tactical style rings, I lapped another set and by the wear marks from lapping they really didn't need it, being a softer metal it's not really needed for the most part as they will contort to the scope instead of vice versa, I just want to check for straightness and clean any high spots.

The other thing I'm doing is replacing the cross bolt with a larger one, and squaring the sides so it fits tight between the picatinny lugs. I dislike the common use of weaver width bolts on a pic rail giving it wiggle room for movement during recoil.

Not bothering with epoxy bedding the rail, this is my third EGW rail and they've all been perfect. I did however tap,a fourth hole for the 788 action. They use 3 screws (8t-32) instead of 700 style (4 x 6-32). I might be off on the thread pitch, can't remember exactly off hand.
With respect, I would not trust 'rings to contort', without placing excessive stress on the scope tube.
Elimination of stress is our objective, as it is a proven way to improve consistency and precision.

I have installed many EGW and other 6061 & 7075 P-rails on several different brands of action. Testing confirmed that, they all required epoxy bedding to prevent distortion and stress caused by receiver and hole misalignment. I suspect that the action misalignment is a product of heat treating after machining. A common test is to alternatively secure each end and check for a gap under the other end and for proper hole alignment. Hole misalignment can also cause the rail to torque (and misalign rings) which can be checked with a surface plate, or accurate levels, or sighting across two 6" pieces of key-stock, on the F&R top of the P-rail.

Steel P-rails require more determination to distort, but also benefit from epoxy bedding.

Epoxy bedding is not difficult, and I suspect well within your skill-set.
In addition to preventing scope tube distortion or damage, it facilitates scope switching and exchange.
IMHO, it is much more important than cross bolt fit in the P-rail, (even NF rings are not tight in the slots).

The most common mount screw sizes are 6x48 & 8x40, tighten only after the epoxy bedding has cured, and use proper release agent on the receiver.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 10-12-2019, 09:19 PM

Thanks for this thread Cody, it's good to know the restrictions have been relaxed on hunting scopes, etc.
Cat