Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-04-2019, 07:09 AM

The whole 2 3/4, 3 and 3 1/2 debate of what is needed is no different than the smaller caliber shot placement hunters and those who believe a magnum is a far superior or needed for big game hunting

In the end all work just use them accordingly but both sides of these debates will never let it die
Old 10-04-2019, 10:05 AM

Default 3.5 chamber

The eider duck,and most seabirds,has a very thick layer of down.The 2 3/4 with 4 lead shot,was very effective.Range of course the big factor,A shooting crew was landed,Decoys set,I anchored a white plastic bottle at or about 40m,this of course a range marker.When those huge ducks came inside,shots were taken,if not,no shots--many times the ducks circled to within range.The common murre with no limits,it was a matter of range judgement.Pre season we all spent time on the trap range, and hand tossing.Range judgement,and accuracy,was then as is now the big factor,in humane kills on water fowl.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:11 AM

After shooting the 3" I have no desire to try the 3 1/2". I wouldn't just for my shoulders sake...
Old 10-04-2019, 10:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomstick View Post
all good steel loads are doing 1550 fps , 2 3/4 3 or 3 1/2 , the only difference is shot load . if you need to shoot the same goose 3 times with #2s then its back to the skeet range with you lol.
I get a lot more even patterns out of 3” 1 1/4 loads at 1450 than I ever have with the speedy stuff. Shooting 3” Rio Blue Steel BB out of a SX3 with a Carlson MR choke this year, works just fine.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
I get a lot more even patterns out of 3” 1 1/4 loads at 1450 than I ever have with the speedy stuff. Shooting 3” Rio Blue Steel BB out of a SX3 with a Carlson MR choke this year, works just fine.
I patterned both the Kent Fasteel 3" 1-1/4 ounce #2 at 1450fps, and the 3" Fasteel 1-1/8 ounce #2 at 1560fps, at 50 yards, in my SX-3 with a Patternmaster Code Black Goose, and saw very similar results with both. I chose the 1-1/8 ounce load at 1560fps, for a little better penetration. The only negative with this combination, is a very tight pattern at closer ranges, if you center the pattern on the breast, it does a lot of damage, if you shoot for the head/neck, it's easier to miss. If the birds are finishing well, a standard LM choke is likely a better choice.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:56 AM

i have a shot gun that shoots 3 1/2 shells.kicks like a horse.no sir you dont need 3 1/2 shells to kill waterfowl.
Old 10-04-2019, 12:17 PM

Default sometimes the heavy loads are the least efficient

See if the link from shotgun article works but if not search "shotgun balanced loads"

https://wadwizard.wordpress.com/2012...ced-loads-2-2/
Old 10-04-2019, 01:01 PM

Let birds get close enough and shoot whatever turns your crank. Seriously.

Last edited by sns2; 10-04-2019 at 01:45 PM.
Old 10-04-2019, 08:36 PM

Default 3 1/2 Chamber

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I patterned both the Kent Fasteel 3" 1-1/4 ounce #2 at 1450fps, and the 3" Fasteel 1-1/8 ounce #2 at 1560fps, at 50 yards, in my SX-3 with a Patternmaster Code Black Goose, and saw very similar results with both. I chose the 1-1/8 ounce load at 1560fps, for a little better penetration. The only negative with this combination, is a very tight pattern at closer ranges, if you center the pattern on the breast, it does a lot of damage, if you shoot for the head/neck, it's easier to miss. If the birds are finishing well, a standard LM choke is likely a better choice.
I loaded no doubt thousands of lead shot 2 3.4---1 1/4 oz--highly effective,the max 1300 fps.Then steel in the beginning an excercise in futility.I am with you with less energy,A larger size with more speed was the answer.The mfg has reacted,with many improvements, and choices,according to the water fowlers needs.The need for practice time,and good range judgement,greatly improves a waterfowlers humane kills--A 3/12 chamber,without the former,may have the opposite effect.
Old 10-06-2019, 09:22 AM

3" is lots, I find that the beating you take from 3 1/2" just isn't worth it to me. If you are shooting a recoil reduction shotgun its still not worth it.
If you need the extra range go and buy a code black choke tube, buy some faster shells.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
2 3/4” lead 👍
2 3/4” steel 👎
I agree, go lead all the way, shot it all my life, and will continue to use it whether it is illegal or not. 3" #2 or BB. My hunting ethics, that steel is garbage!!
Old 10-09-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buschy03 View Post
I agree, go lead all the way, shot it all my life, and will continue to use it whether it is illegal or not. 3" #2 or BB. My hunting ethics, that steel is garbage!!
It is your choice if you decide to not follow the regulations, but it isn't smart to ppst about it in a forum where it can be seen by anyone.
Old 10-15-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buschy03 View Post
Since lead shot has been banned the # of eagles is increasing like crazy. Lead shot doesn't just kill what you shoot at
Old 10-15-2019, 09:42 AM
Gone Hunting

Last fall I hunted geese with the owner of Huntmania Shows.

He and his employee were using modern 3 1/2 in. 12 guage auto's

I was using a 1960s vintage bolt action 2 3/4" 16 guage. I knocked down as many geese as they did and at the same range.

In my book, that's good enough.

Oh and btw, I was using steel shot. It's all I can find these days.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-15-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganderblaster View Post
Since lead shot has been banned the # of eagles is increasing like crazy. Lead shot doesn't just kill what you shoot at
I don't know if there is a correlation between the increase of eagles and lead shot banning due to lead poisoning- it could very well be that the increase of eagles is because people shooting steel shot are crippling more birds!
Cat
Old 10-15-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganderblaster View Post
Banning certain pesticides/chemicals may be much more of a factor.
Old 10-15-2019, 12:16 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Banning certain pesticides/chemicals may be much more of a factor.
I think you are right.

As I recall, eagle numbers started to climb dramatically After DDT was taken off the market back in 1972.

https://www.fws.gov/refuge/Umbagog/w...aldeagles.html

Lead shot wasn't banned until the early 1990s.

As I understand it, lead shot was a contributing factor too, but the increase started before lead shot was banned.

Having said that, I believe the ban on lead shot was the right thing to do.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-15-2019, 01:33 PM

Default have 3 and even 3.5 in the box but

2 3/4 should be good enough for tonight. Anticipate the longest shots will be 20 yards.
Old 10-15-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
I think you are right.

As I recall, eagle numbers started to climb dramatically After DDT was taken off the market back in 1972.

https://www.fws.gov/refuge/Umbagog/w...aldeagles.html

Lead shot wasn't banned until the early 1990s.

As I understand it, lead shot was a contributing factor too, but the increase started before lead shot was banned.

Having said that, I believe the ban on lead shot was the right thing to do.
Well since 1990 the eagle population has soared is all I know. Eagles follow the waterfowl and have ruined more then one hunt for me. Fun to watch them hunt though, and good to know the birds that were hit to far back are cleaned up quickly.