Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-16-2019, 09:36 AM

Default Southern east slopes elk help

Hey AO. Having herd that the elk are down early this season i have desided to get my general tag for rifle season. Thing is iv never gone on an elk hunt and have no clue what im looking for. I have good access to land in 306 bordering the slopes and an idea.

Any help or tips would be appreciated. Not looking to chase your herd just looking to get started off on the right foot. ( im not new to hunting just new when it comes to elk)
Thanks in advance AO.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Old 10-16-2019, 08:01 PM

Best of luck with that.
Most bulls will be targeted and figured out by locals.
I’ve been scoped twice and shot over once (guys sent a volley into the herd to keep me from reaching the elk) in 306.

Can you haul pretty much a horse on your back? Cause that’s what you’ll have to do ( quarters will be heavy).
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 10-17-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Best of luck with that.
Most bulls will be targeted and figured out by locals.
I’ve been scoped twice and shot over once (guys sent a volley into the herd to keep me from reaching the elk) in 306.

Can you haul pretty much a horse on your back? Cause that’s what you’ll have to do ( quarters will be heavy).
Do you still hunt in 306. Kind of sounds like you're trying to deter me from hunting the elk in 306. I've been hunting in 306 and 305 for the last 10 years I have never ever had a problem with the local Hunters or been scoped or shot over.

Old 10-17-2019, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsoucy View Post
I've been hunting in 306 and 305 for the last 10 years I have never ever had a problem with the local Hunters or been scoped or shot over.

I have only hunted 305/306 a handful of times during the rifle season and I've seen more questionable acts than I can count. Are you sure you've been hunting the area for 10 years? A few posts ago you say that you have only been hunting for 3 years.

Anyways, there will be a few hundred trucks worth of guys going after elk in the foothills. If you haven't done a ton of scouting, go start now. Try to position yourself where you think the herd will get pushed once the shooting brigade opens up typically a few minutes before legal light on opening day.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
I have only hunted 305/306 a handful of times during the rifle season and I've seen more questionable acts than I can count. Are you sure you've been hunting the area for 10 years? A few posts ago you say that you have only been hunting for 3 years.

Anyways, there will be a few hundred trucks worth of guys going after elk in the foothills. If you haven't done a ton of scouting, go start now. Try to position yourself where you think the herd will get pushed once the shooting brigade opens up typically a few minutes before legal light on opening day.
Yes i have been going out there for 10 years with famy friends teaching me to be an ethical hunter but i did not have the license to possess a firearm or hunting license tell about 5 years ago.

Old 10-17-2019, 08:35 AM

If you have good access to some spots then go there. After 10 years in an area you should know where the elk are regardless if you have never had an elk tag before.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:34 PM

Hey. You wanted advice... I gave.

Your te big expert with your 10 years in both zones... yet you have no clue where the elk are....

Ok. I know nothing.

Have a great time
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."