Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-14-2019, 06:47 PM

Winchester model 70 30-06, my dad gave it to me when I was 14, still have and it still shoots great.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:29 PM

Default Win pre 64 1804 in 30-30

My dad sold out from under me to one of his “buddies” in a drunken moment. Never saw it again. Said some things I shouldn’t have and regret to this day. Learned many lessons from that. People make mistakes and people > things.

The first one I bought for myself is still in my safe and will be handed down when I’m too old to wield it. Cz550 lux in 3006. Mostly as it was, sweet scope and a classy leather sling.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:34 PM

Default 308

My first owned rifle was a Rem 700 LTR in .308 for PRS style shooting. Still have it, but it’s now in a AI chassis with a new barrel. I will keep it forever, everyone should own a 308. Especially if it was your first. Lots faster and higher BC guns in the safe. But I always find time for this one.
Old 10-15-2019, 07:47 AM

My first real rifle (not including the beat up old pellet gun) was my grandfathers model 88 Winchester in .308. Serial number puts the manufacture date in 1958. That old rifle has seen a lot of use and wear and tear, so a few years back I stripped it down, re-cut the checkering and gave it a nice oil finish, and re-blued it. Before I put the scope base and scope back on I took it out to the range. I had never tried the iron sights out so I put a target up at 50 yards. 3 shots in a 1" group about 2" above dead center. Was blown away by that as I don't think the iron sights had ever been used. I'm pretty sure the old K4 Weaver and base were on there from the very beginning.
Old 10-15-2019, 07:53 AM

Dad bought me a new .22 Lakefield Mk II when I was about 13. It was my first rifle.

I have told the son it is his now and we take it out to shoot gophers and targets now and then. I bought him a little Lakefield 410 pump to go with it.
Old 10-20-2019, 09:59 PM

My first rifle was a Winchester model 190 semi auto chambered for 22L or LR. Seems to me I paid $67 for it from Sidney I Robinson mail order. Got it when I was 15. Used shorts in it too but they would jam every so often. Still shoots really well. Never jams with LR ammo. I’ve had it in the gopher patch when on a warm day and the shooting is good, it would get so hot you could barely keep your hand on the barrel it would get so hot.

Next was a 303British. Shot my first deer and my first moose with it. Got it at the local McLeods store for $33 when I was 18. Many years later I reloaded for it and I got it to where I shot a couple of 1.25” groups with it. But usually closer to 2”.
Old 10-24-2019, 05:44 PM

When i was 6 my adoptive father gave me a savage 99 308 with the scope mounts held on by wood screws.

I kept it for 42 years. Never really hunted with it as it was a pos. Sold it happily to Cabelas.

When I was 13, i got a brand new Cooey 410 for Christmas. Still have it.
Old 10-24-2019, 07:34 PM

Got my 7mm Rem. ADL bolt action in 1969........ still have it and have taken deer, elk or moose with it every year since, and will again this year..
Old 10-25-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn D View Post
Model 760 remington in .270 pump. Shot a lot of deer with that gun in early days now in just sits in my safe.Probly never sell it, dont think worth much for someone else but i have a lot of memories in that gun so will always have a place in my safe for it.
I Had the 7600 in a 270 as my first gun. always was very good to me as a gun, still have it in my safe and will never sell it. It is in nicer shape than my new way more expensive gun. Why ? I do not know. probably because then it was worth as much as my truck. Now , not so much. LOL
Old 10-25-2019, 09:04 PM

First gun I bought Marlin 39M, K-Mart in Calgary. Sold my 4-H calf, cleared enough for it & a brick of shells. First rifle cheap beat-up used Midland '06, cleaned 'er up, ex-wife redid the stock, dozens of game taken, open sights, didn't want to invest in a scope. Should sell it......or give it to a kid, I guess.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 10-26-2019, 11:19 AM

We have a family friend who gave her first rifle to my daughter. The story is that she grew up poor in post war Germany and her dad gave her an Anschutz 22 and cut the stock down for her. She would ride her bike to the landfill a d shoot rats with her friends. When she immigrated to Canada in 1974, she just brought it in her luggage as there were no licensing requirements back then. She did some gopher shooting in the 70s, then packed it away and forgot about it. When she was packing up to move when retiring couple years ago, she found it and felt that it could have a new home, so she gifted it to my daughter. It is somewhat scratched up and has a tiny 4x Bosch and Lomb scope on it, was thinking if redoing it, but it is perfect the way it is, and shoots like a charm.
Old 10-27-2019, 05:06 PM

My first rifle was a Marlin 30AS. In 3030. I took my first deer with it. So did my wife. I also had 2 other buddys take there first deer with it. It is in the safe all oiled up. I take it for bear back up while camping. Sweet handling gun. One of my kids will get it one day
Old 10-27-2019, 07:43 PM

Thumbs up

Used borrowed guns to shoot my first game but I still have my first rifle a pre Sako Tikka M65 in .338mag and my first shotgun a single shot Winchester Model 37 in 16 gauge
Old 10-28-2019, 12:05 AM

Parker Hale 30-06 Safari

Dad 'lent' it to me years ago when I bought my first whitetail tag. It was one of his first rifles he got when he discovered his passion of reloading/shooting.
He never got around to making me buy my own rifle and give him the PH back.. he passed away at 58 a couple years ago, it's still my only larger caliber rifle.

I take the absolute best care of it that I know how - and I only shoot it 3-5 times a year to make sure it is still sighted in and to knock down a white tail if I can. I've put many miles on it still hunting in the bush and I hope I can put on many more!

I've looked at many other nice rifles over the years, Tikka's and Fierce Firearms.. I just can't bring myself to put that old Parker Hale at the back of the safe - I just love shooting it for Dad, every year!
Old 10-28-2019, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavilion View Post
A little back story, i come from a non hunting family, i started hunting at 18 with my cousin and my uncle, at that time i didn't know jack about anything only that i had gone out a couple times with them and that I wanted to start hunting myself.....so i got licensed up and bought my first rifle, a Rem 700 SPS DM in 300 win mag with a leupold vx2 3-9, i used that rifle for a few years and took my first deer with it and my best deer to date with it, but here I am 12 years later, haven't shot that rifle in probably 8 years, put it in a boyds laminate and swapped the vx2 for a fx3 6x, and put it in the gun safe.....I know its not worth alot to sell but im just wondering what you guys did with your first rifle? keep it due to some sentimental reasons? get rid of it? maybe regret getting rid of it? I might take it out again someday so there is always that but its no good to start my kids on and with two full customs and a kimber mountain ascent in the safe the odds of it being my first choice are zero,
On contrary to you it took me almost 40 years to get the rifle I shot first time ...
Well I was 7 year old when I first got lucky to shoot real rifle ... it was toz12.
Not exactly the same rifle and probably it wasn’t heavy barreled one I have now.. but it will be history for grandkids - how I evolved from 22 to 338 and from private to officer... in the Navy
Old 11-14-2019, 01:04 PM

Well, after many years my first rifle got back in the field...my brother has my old 308 but with a bull moose tag this year he figured he might like to use the 300 win mag...I think mostly cause he hasn't figured out that these critters aren't bullet proof yet Haha anyways glad it got out again and that he was successful in his hunt

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 11-14-2019, 09:35 PM
Banned

My first rifle ( shot gun actually ) got confiscated by the security police in my old country, when I was turned in by a friend for having a firearm.
Old 11-15-2019, 03:51 PM

Other than my BB gun, my first gun was a Winchester 64b. I bought it for about $70 from my Grade eight science and math teacher, he gave me and a classmate a ride home and sold us his guns.
This was early nineties.
Still have it, it’s actually my only .22 rimfire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-16-2019, 05:03 PM

My first rifle was a Cooey Ace. It's also the first rifle I ever shot back around 1960, it belonged to my Uncle and he gave it to me. Many have come and gone but I still have that one. My most recent is a nice Savage 340 in .222 Remington for BR shooting.
Old 11-16-2019, 09:35 PM

My first rifle was a .22WMR. I ended up selling it. It was fun. But life moves on.
Old 11-24-2019, 06:11 PM

Default My First Rifles

My very first true rifle was a family heirloom. My great grandfather and family had immigrated from Belgium to Saskatchewan. Some where along the way he obtained a Winchester 1904 single shot .22. Whether the stock was broken before or after he got the little rifle, I will never know. What I do know is that he carved a new stock. He was a cabinet maker by trade, remember the old grand lobby desks in hotels and the teller's booth in the banks and the old wooden counters and mail boxes in the post offices, those were his specialty. Well he passed that rifle onto my father when he turned 13. My father passed it onto me when I turned 13. I was never blessed with kids so I have no direct descendants to pass it onto so it is likely to go to a second cousin. The first rifle I used to harvest a deer was a loaner from my maternal grandfather. He served in Europe during WW2. During the war, the family back here in Canada started receiving small steel parts in parcels from him in Europe. After receiving a number of these someone finally figured out that they were gun parts. When the last of the parts arrived, all were taken to a local gun enthusiast. He put together a Mannlicher/Styuer in 7mmX57R. An absolutely beautify small rifle. Again at the age of 13, I used that very rifle to harvest my first whitetail buck in our back 40. Wish I still had it. It is still in the family, over 50 years later.
Old 01-13-2020, 03:45 PM

My first rifle was a 303 and still is my main rifle.
Bunch of deer and elk have become freezer fill thanks to it.
Old 01-13-2020, 05:01 PM

Still have my 303 lee enfield and the first 22 I bought myself is a winchester model 490 Semi auto, still have it, bought it at ACME novelty back in around 1974 maybe
Old 01-14-2020, 09:26 AM

My first deer rifle was my grandfather's 30/30 winchester carbine. When he died my grandmother gave it to me. It has a side mounted 2x long obsolete German scope. Not a trace of blueing anywhere on it. Gun would have no value to anybody else but to me its priceless and my most valuable gun.
Its more of an everyday type of gun when your not really hunting big game. Just a kind of handy rifle and more of a varmit type rig.
My grandfather was quite a character. There is a lot of history with him and that gun. Its impossible for me to use that gun and not think of him. I think his ghost would be pleased that we still use it. My daughter shot her first deer with it as well.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:50 AM
Banned

I still own my first rifle a 22lr Cooey 39 I purchased new in 1966 for $17.95.

My first centerfire rifle was a Belgian Browning .308 Lever Action purchased new in 1972 for $198.00.

It's long gone, and it's been a slippery slope of buying and selling since then.

Old 01-14-2020, 09:57 AM

My roommate's buddy stole mine... In 1995.

Marlin 70HC, Dad bought it for my 16th birthday.

Old 01-14-2020, 10:47 AM

My first rimfire was given to me when I was a kid by my dad. Its a cooey 39 that he bought himself as a kid using muskrat hides and gopher tail bounty money. Between the 2 of us, it has shot thousand and thousands of gophers.

My first center fire was my 18th birthday gift. A tikka T3 in .25-06 which is my favorite deer rifle
Old 01-14-2020, 01:27 PM

Marlin 336 .30-30 was my 15th birthday present. I shot dozens of deer with it out east. It has sat in the safe for 15 years now since I got a 7mm-08 for hunting out here in the west. Got two boys and keep hoping one of them will want it one day. If not, one of a few nieces and nephews might...
Old 01-14-2020, 06:06 PM

Default Still have them

Technically I have two first rifles as I bought them at the same time. Parker hale in 308 and marlin 39A 22LR. Took my first bear and deer with the P H. Both still get used.
Old 01-14-2020, 06:45 PM

My first rifle was Dad’s hand me down well worn .303 Lee Enfield, I had to hold bolt down with my thumb so it didn’t lift during shot. One of my first paycheques in ‘67 got me brand new Winchester 93, 30-30. Used it many moose until Dad and I encountered our first Swan hills grizzly, looked bigger than Dad’s 4x4. He switched.270 to .300 win mag, I went to 7mm rem mag. Both his rifles, even tho being 50-60 years old, still have less than one hundred rounds thro them, moose seemed to die on one round for some reason. My old 30-30 sold 5 years ago to young man starting out hunting with his Dad, I thought it was appropriate. Except that win 94 was my camper last resort gun, so now I have a 336 Marlin to replace it.

Last edited by corky51; 01-14-2020 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Spelling