Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-13-2013, 03:54 PM

Default Shotgun question: barrel length affect pattern?

I was shooting my 12 gauge today and I was wondering does barrel length affect pattern? If so how?
Old 10-13-2013, 04:24 PM
Banned

physics,
think about what a shot or a slug does in the barrel when its shot.

here is a clue, bounce bounce bounce
got it ???

perfect
Old 10-13-2013, 04:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icatchfish View Post
physics,

got it ???

perfect
Wow, someone was sipping on some Haterade this morning. No it does not affect the pattern I think shotguns generally get their peak velocity at 22 inches. The longer length is for the way the gun handles. The longer barrels swing more smoothly (trap gun) shorter barrels get faster target acquisition but can be easily nudged off course (skeet gun). Check it out at the gun counter, I found it quite obvious when I use my O/U for hunting or my semi for trap.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icatchfish View Post
physics,

got it ???

perfect
Thank you for your very not helpful post, maybe keep it to yourself next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitetail Whisper View Post
Wow, someone was sipping on some Haterade this morning. No it does not affect the pattern I think shotguns generally get their peak velocity at 22 inches. The longer length is for the way the gun handles. The longer barrels swing more smoothly (trap gun) shorter barrels get faster target acquisition but can be easily nudged off course (skeet gun). Check it out at the gun counter, I found it quite obvious when I use my O/U for hunting or my semi for trap.
Thanks for your helpful post, I knew about swing differences in barrel length but I wasn't sure about length affecting pattern.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:55 PM

That's right. The barrel length does not affect the pattern, only the kind of choke you are using.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:04 PM

Shot size, choke, wad type, and velocity play a much big part in how a gun patterns, but no, barrel length doesn't.
Cat
Old 10-13-2013, 05:33 PM

Okay, it looks like I'm going shopping for new chokes and more shells. Thanks everyone
Old 10-13-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Shot size, choke, wad type, and velocity play a much big part in how a gun patterns, but no, barrel length doesn't.
Cat
The information in this post is entirely correct, as are the others that share similiar information. Barrel length is of little importance on a shotgun and has no appreciable impact on a guns pattern.

The general idea is that shorter barrels make a gun handier/easier to point where as longer barrels provide an increased sighting plane and promote proper form and technique (follow through, as stated by Whitetail Whisper). Some think that a shorter barrel is better in heavy cover, I am of an opinion that even 8-10 inches of length doesn't make a huge difference as what will get me tangled up with a 28" will also tangle up a 20".
Old 10-13-2013, 06:23 PM

Ok so i bought the 870 marine this weekend shot a couple ckickens today. What a mess.I got some cheap 7-1/2 loads what will give me a tighter pattern? Because it doesn't knock there heads off the way my old ranger did
Old 10-13-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Ok so i bought the 870 marine this weekend shot a couple ckickens today. What a mess.I got some cheap 7-1/2 loads what will give me a tighter pattern? Because it doesn't knock there heads off the way my old ranger did
Most marine/tactical shotguns like the 870 marine are bored cylinder, in other words, they don't have a choke. Although changing the load can effect the pattern somewhat, you aren't likely going to find any load that will shoot much tighter patterns with that barrel.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Most marine/tactical shotguns like the 870 marine are bored cylinder, in other words, they don't have a choke. Although changing the load can effect the pattern somewhat, you aren't likely going to find any load that will shoot much tighter patterns with that barrel.
Yeah thats what i thought,didnt really by it for hunting chickens anyway,i love it all the same lol , thanks
Old 10-14-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitetail Whisper View Post

. . . No it does not affect the pattern I think shotguns generally get their peak velocity at 22 inches. The longer length is for the way the gun handles. The longer barrels swing more smoothly (trap gun) shorter barrels get faster target acquisition but can be easily nudged off course (skeet gun). Check it out at the gun counter, I found it quite obvious when I use my O/U for hunting or my semi for trap.
Well said ^

Depending on the load/shot/etc. sometimes maximum velocity in shotguns can even be reached in as little as 18 inches, but 20 to 22 inches is a pretty good rule-of-thumb to use as the average.

Get the barrel length that works best for you, and the job at hand. For concerns about shot pattern, see Cat's comment in post #6.

Good Hunting!

Mac
Old 10-14-2013, 03:57 PM

What a timely thread! I was wondering the same thing...

Now that I have my answer, I have another few questions: where can I get a barrel professionally cut down? Any recommended gunsmith close to Calgary? Approxmate cost?

I have acquired an old single shot 12 ga in great shape that I would like to have cut down to the bare minimum length to keep handy when going into bear country. Plan on using 00buckshot or slugs.

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 10-14-2013, 06:24 PM

Henry Remple can handle that job no sweat.

As far as changing patterns with loads goes, that is where hand loading rules!
Something as simple as a wad change make. Big difference Ina pattern at 25 yards
Cat
Old 10-14-2013, 08:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack&7 View Post
What a timely thread! I was wondering the same thing...

Now that I have my answer, I have another few questions: where can I get a barrel professionally cut down? Any recommended gunsmith close to Calgary? Approxmate cost?

I have acquired an old single shot 12 ga in great shape that I would like to have cut down to the bare minimum length to keep handy when going into bear country. Plan on using 00buckshot or slugs.
If it was me, I would not do anything until I contacted Briley down east to see if they could do it while installing some thin wall chokes. (I think that's what they are called). You may find out changing out your shotty will be more economical.

Now that I read your entire post, maybe look into the cost of a Mossy 500 with a defence barrel. Cheap, klunky and reliable.

Last edited by Whitetail Whisper; 10-14-2013 at 08:46 PM. Reason: didnt read completely
Old 10-14-2013, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack&7 View Post

. . . I have acquired an old single shot 12 ga in great shape that I would like to have cut down to the bare minimum length to keep handy when going into bear country. Plan on using 00buckshot or slugs.
I hear ya ^, but a single-shot shotgun for bear defence is considered 'minimalist' buy today's standards.

During most bear encounters, things tend to happen 'very' fast (I know ... I've been there twice). The chances of being able to reload a single-shot shotgun for a required second shot (before your head is in his mouth), is usually next to none.

If it's in good shape, keep that single-shot 12ga, but consider putting it to a different use.

Good Hunting,

Mac