Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-25-2019, 10:47 PM

Default 2012 F-550 wandering steering

The company I started with a couple months ago has me driving a 2012 F-550. I joke that I'm gonna need to buy a girdle and a cowboy hat when I'm going down the highway because the suspension is so stiff.

The issue I have is that it's all over the road. It doesn't seem to have a lot of play in the steering wheel. It's super stressful on five hour drives when it won't drive in a straight line for five seconds without correction. It's way worse on old rutted roads with strong winds.

They claim they've had it looked at in the past and couldn't diagnose it.

Any ideas? It'd be nice if I could go to them and say, "this is what I think it needs."
Old 08-25-2019, 11:17 PM

Tie Rod ends are the most likely culprit. Could also be really out of alignment.
Old 08-25-2019, 11:25 PM

At the Ford Dealership i WORK at we replace a LOT of steering boxes - tie rod and drag link ends and track bar ball joints ! RJ
Old 08-26-2019, 06:42 AM

I’ve had those trucks where it’s front end parts oand the 19.5” front steering tires at fault. Under inflated, over inflated, badly worn due to worn parts, certain tread patterns are worse on the front for wandering.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:01 AM

The blue oval is where the problem started!
Old 08-26-2019, 07:50 AM

I’ve spent the last 20 years in a F-550. If the dealership has in fact looked at it and alignment is good, I would bet you have Michelin tires on it. They are too soft and blocky. They grab any imperfection and pull the truck all over the road. Switch to Goodyear’s and you’ll be driving it with one thumb.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccmckee View Post
The blue oval is where the problem started!
Had a guy bitch at me yesterday, he claimed today's trucks are built to last for two years, then went on with a list of defects on his.

Grizz
Old 08-26-2019, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
I’ve spent the last 20 years in a F-550. If the dealership has in fact looked at it and alignment is good, I would bet you have Michelin tires on it. They are too soft and blocky. They grab any imperfection and pull the truck all over the road. Switch to Goodyear’s and you’ll be driving it with one thumb.
Can't recall off the top of my head but almost positive it's not Michelins on this truck. Definitely something for the boss to consider though though - the big girl's gonna need new skins pretty soon. They're not cupping at all which is surprising on a 2-ton. The Dodge I used to run for someone else was terrible for it.

As for alignment I don't know when it was last checked but it doesn't really pull to one side.
Old 08-26-2019, 05:24 PM

My work truck is a 5500 dodge, it wanders but my maintenance is always up to date. I’ve been told the front axles are wider and don’t run in the usual grooves which accounts for being pulled around.
Old 08-26-2019, 05:41 PM

If everything else checks out it very well could be tires, the brand new 550 we got last year was barely driveable around here for wandering, can’t remember off hand what tires we switched to I’ll check tomorrow, but was a world of difference
Old 08-27-2019, 08:53 AM

Default steering

Large, wide, lifts and deep grip tires very hard on steering on most trucks. Leave your manufactures truck design alone, put on narrowest, lowest design tires recommended then you will not need to rebuild steering box and front end.