Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-25-2019, 07:02 AM

Default Muzzle blast head protection

Anyone seen a helmet type thing for reducing blast to the head?
I have browning ear muffs and they work great. But I’m getting blast to my head.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:10 AM

You could try muffs and plugs, and good shooting glasses I guess.

I have to ask, what are you Shooting?

A 84mm Carl Gustav?

There are no absolutes
Old 08-25-2019, 07:18 AM

Wrap around shooting glasses and good muffs or you could shoot a rifle without a brake , that is my solution and it has never let me down.
Cat
Old 08-25-2019, 07:51 AM

If you are shooting a braked rifle, get rid of the brake.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:22 AM

It’s a bunch of different guns. Short barrel .223. 270 wsm. 6.5 with brake. 300 mag. It’s more that my head can’t take it.
I need a helmet of some type.

Default So true!

This head-pounding from muzzle-braked rifles is a real problem at the range. It's more more other peoples' muzzle-braked .223s and such - the sound does seem to bounce off the walls and into everyone else's head, or at least into mine, sigh.

You can't really ask them to stop, politeness and everyone gets to shoot what they like and all that. But sure looking forward to hearing any good ideas for solutions to the brake sounds. It will make me a more contented shooter, for sure.

Going out to shoot a box of Mosin-Nagant reloads today, yay!

Wink Boba Fett wore a helmet for a reason

Since muzzle brakes are not designed to direct the blast wave back at the shooter, I'm guessing you are having issues with muzzle blast from the rig at the next table? You would be better off to bring a floor mounted, portable "blast shield" to set up between yourself and the offending firearm than to wear the equivalent of a full face motorcycle helmet while you are shooting.
Or, go to the range when no one else is around.
If it is the brake on your rifle causing the blast wave, get rid of it and get a better model.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 08-25-2019, 08:24 AM

Hmm. Portable blast shield. Plexiglass?
Old 08-25-2019, 08:26 AM

It might be worse because my allergies make my head feel full.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:38 AM

Like everyone has said, lose the brakes, move away from others who use brakes, and maybe, cease shooting stubby barrelled rifles till your head normalizes.

There’s no way I can imagine you could ever maintain any sort of cheek weld or appropriate shooting form with a face shield or helmet on your head.

As the kids say, this looks like an Ish You, not an Ish Me.

There are no absolutes
Old 08-25-2019, 08:58 AM

Sherwood Park range put up some hanging blast shields that can be moved to sit between any two benches. They are really effective at cutting down the blast form other peoples guns. I know 260 Rem had a lot to do with the project so big thanks to him and the others for developing a simple and effective solution. Many other ranges could benefit from copying their designs.

If the blast is from your own guns then I have no answer. I have never shot a gun that muzzle blasted the shooter in any significant way, even the 460 Bee with a large brake only affects the bystanders blast wise. Shooter gets elevated noise but no blast.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:42 AM

Default Brake Concussion Deflector thread from May 2016

Here is the link to the thread that 260 Rem posted explaining the solution he devised, and fish e o helped build, for the Sherwood Park range:
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ghlight=shield

You mention allergies and head pressure, another solution might be to load up on antihistamines prior to range time. It might lessen the internal pressure enough to take the edge off.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 08-25-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
Here is the link to the thread that 260 Rem posted explaining the solution he devised, and fish e o helped build, for the Sherwood Park range:
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ghlight=shield

You mention allergies and head pressure, another solution might be to load up on antihistamines prior to range time. It might lessen the internal pressure enough to take the edge off.
Good job finding that link. I actually bumped the whole thread so other ranges can find it easy and copy a great and simple solution.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:57 AM

Here is a pic from 2016 when we installed the shields. They are frequently used. Not unusual for them to swing up to 6" when positioned midway between a brake and a next-bench shooter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-25-2019, 12:57 PM

From my understanding the US military has found this to be an issue with braked rifles in CQBs and have been testing brake shields.

I have a couple of braked rifles myself and one has this https://theammosource.com/black-cree...-brake-shield/

it causes a mild increase of recoil and a major decrease of felt concussive forces and noise behind the muzzle.
There are other companies besides BCL that produce brake shields. mounting may be an issue to most brake though.
Old 08-25-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Here is a pic from 2016 when we installed the shields. They are frequently used. Not unusual for them to swing up to 6" when positioned midway between a brake and a next-bench shooter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Big thumbs up for doing that. It was definitely needed.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:44 PM

Default Works every time.

Bubble wrap hat built like a helmet liner.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:48 AM

maybe when people go to the range it should be mandatory to have them turn their muzzle brakes around...??? would sure save a lot of eardrums.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 08-27-2019, 10:14 PM

Default Lol

Is this for real? I have been shooting fairly big iron my whole life, and never have I felt recoil blast inside my head! Lol
By chance, have you experienced concussions in the past?
Other than brakes sometimes being an annoyance, they sure havent rattled my head. 3 degree forward port brakes are real nice, nowhere near the noise or blast and decent recoil reduction for follow up shots and seeing impact.
Old 08-27-2019, 10:31 PM

No one gets a pass...hearing can be damaged by the concussion wave....not just through the ear channel, but by conduction through the skull to those little ear bones on the inside.
Some studies even suggest that waves entering the nasal cavity through the nose can be problematic.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
No one gets a pass...hearing can be damaged by the concussion wave....not just through the ear channel, but by conduction through the skull to those little ear bones on the inside.
Some studies even suggest that waves entering the nasal cavity through the nose can be problematic.
You sir are 100 percent correct all the way, it's common knowledge in the shooting world, but many don't bring it up.

I would never go to a range if you gave me free rifles to take home and ten years supply of everything needed to hunt. Life's to short for that crap.

I don't let folks kick me in the nutz or head, you get hit by a bad muzzle blast in the head you will take the kick in the nutz all day long. So avoid both.
Old 08-28-2019, 05:44 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
You could try muffs and plugs, and good shooting glasses I guess.

I have to ask, what are you Shooting?

A 84mm Carl Gustav?
Back blast area clear.....nope....put many rounds out of that baby....loader needs to snuggle in

Never shot a rifle that required a bucket on to prevent back blast to my skull plate but then again I shoot "nice" no muzzle break rifles....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-28-2019, 05:47 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen moa View Post
It might be worse because my allergies make my head feel full.
Head cold, backed up sinuses....I would stay home or at least away from anything that would make my head explode.....you'll be fine after the snot build up releases.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-28-2019, 10:18 AM

The popularity of rifle styles has changed greatly in the past couple of decades.
It used to be rare to see an AR
Muzzle brakes were extremely rare

Now, it would be uncommon not to see either of these at the range.
Guns have changed. Ranges should change with them.

The blast shields at Sherwood Park seem nice.
Having permanent plexi walls beside the benches would allow every shooter to enjoy the range to a greater degree. Semi auto shooters would have an easier time finding their brass. The blast from braked rifles would be kept away from neighbouring shooters to a greater degree.

Realize this might cause ranges to reconfigure their benches.

As for the original question, maybe a rugby helmet is the way to go. You'd get increased protection on the side of your head. Possible bonus would be having your cheek weld raised up slightly.