Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-08-2018, 11:33 AM

Default Ice fishing trip ideas

Hi there,

My wife's parents gave us a $500.00 gift to go fishing on our honeymoon. Unfortunately, our trip was canceled due to weather. Does anyone have any recommendations for an ice fishing trip within three hours of Lethbridge?

I have all of the necessary equipment, just need a suggestion for a place to stay and a decent lake nearby. Scenery and fishing quality are of equal value. Budget is $500.00.

Any recommendations are much appreciated!
Old 11-08-2018, 11:49 AM

Think Montana. Haven’t got a specific place but maybe someone will come up with a spot/place within your limitation from Lethbridge
Old 11-08-2018, 11:55 AM

Shoot me a PM there a are a couple really good options within 3 hours of you!
Old 11-08-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
Think Montana. Haven’t got a specific place but maybe someone will come up with a spot/place within your limitation from Lethbridge
Might not be a bad idea! I think the cost of alien fishing licences may end up being prohibitive, though.
Old 11-08-2018, 03:16 PM

Adventure Ice Fishing has nice shacks on Gull Lake just outside Red Deer. They have a couple overnight shacks that look very comfy.
Old 11-08-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinelakeperch View Post
Might not be a bad idea! I think the cost of alien fishing licences may end up being prohibitive, though.
https://www.montanaangler.com/information/licenses
Old 11-08-2018, 04:16 PM

reesor lake has nice rainbows and you could stay at the Elkwater lake lodge in the Cypress Hills Provincial Park. or stay in Medicine Hat .
Old 11-08-2018, 11:06 PM

http://www.goatmountain.ca/

Stay here ^^^

and fish at Beauvais Lake, Lee Lake or Beaver Mines Lake
Old 11-09-2018, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilgy View Post
Adventure Ice Fishing has nice shacks on Gull Lake just outside Red Deer. They have a couple overnight shacks that look very comfy.
I booked a cabin for late December for my wife, two daughters and myself. Looks like a pretty good set-up and a good introduction to ice fishing for the girls.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilgy View Post
Tempted in terms of the fishing quality, less so for the scenery. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbobbeck View Post
reesor lake has nice rainbows and you could stay at the Elkwater lake lodge in the Cypress Hills Provincial Park. or stay in Medicine Hat .
I had been thinking of the Reesor Ranch already, but the lodge looks fantastic as well. Thanks!

Quote:

Stay here ^^^

Thank you! I've fished Beaver Mines, but haven't been to Beauvais or Lee. We'd likely stay for two days and two lakes. Which two of the three would you recommend? Would Butcher be worth trying? Thanks again.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbobbeck View Post
You can rent little cabins at either Reesor or Spruce Coulee as well.
The one at Spruce is right at lake,Reesor cabin is in bush on west side of campground.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:

Stay here ^^^

Alberta has a Leisure Tax?
Old 11-09-2018, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madatter View Post
You can rent little cabins at either Reesor or Spruce Coulee as well.
The one at Spruce is right at lake,Reesor cabin is in bush on west side of campground.
I don't believe they're open in the winter, assuming you're referring to the Alberta Parks cabins.
Old 11-09-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinelakeperch View Post
I don't believe they're open in the winter, assuming you're referring to the Alberta Parks cabins.
They are....or were....Ive seen people rent them in winter.
Old 11-10-2018, 02:22 PM

I just saw on Facebook the other day a guy advertising ice cabins on Last Mountain Lake....might be more than 3 hours but would be worth it.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:16 PM

People were fishing butcher sunday
Old 11-16-2018, 10:29 AM

You’re going fishin for your honeymoon? Wow you hooked a good one there!!! But seriously someone mentioned Montana. I would stay in whitefish and make the drive to Flathead lake. Whitefish is dirt cheep as far as lodging and meals go so the savings in that should outweigh the license costs. It’s also an amazing and romantic town if you’ve never been there. This way you have the fishing and you also get to stay in a nice little mountain town for your honeymoon. Flathead has a late freeze up though so you would have to go later in the year. There’s also guides you can hire out there but that would probably put you above budget.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:47 PM

lake newell hands down. cant keep anything but there's the chance of catching a 25-30lbs pike
Old 11-22-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgz View Post
You’re going fishin for your honeymoon? Wow you hooked a good one there!!! But seriously someone mentioned Montana. I would stay in whitefish and make the drive to Flathead lake. Whitefish is dirt cheep as far as lodging and meals go so the savings in that should outweigh the license costs. It’s also an amazing and romantic town if you’ve never been there. This way you have the fishing and you also get to stay in a nice little mountain town for your honeymoon. Flathead has a late freeze up though so you would have to go later in the year. There’s also guides you can hire out there but that would probably put you above budget.
We honeymooned in the Dominican, and wanted to fish while there. Prepaid for a day trip, but it was canceled due to weather. Hooked a good one for sure, loves to fish and is as good looking as they come

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathersanddust View Post
lake newell hands down. cant keep anything but there's the chance of catching a 25-30lbs pike
I grew up in Brooks, so Newell wouldn't be much of a trip. Love the fishing, but it doesn't offer much for scenery!

I think we're going to rent a cabin through goatmountain.ca. Stay two nights and fish two of Beaver Mines, Beauvais and Butcher.
Old 11-22-2018, 01:08 PM

A late idea. For walleye, big whitefish and the odd big pike... At Pigeon Lake SW of Edmonton there is a very secluded cabin nestled in the trees a few yards from the water. Indoor wood fireplace. 150.00 a night. Only it is further from Lethbridge. Paved all the way. Battle lake is 10 minutes from the cabin too. Fine dining and everything a person needs is 10 miles away at the Village on the Lake.

Pm me if you're interested in knowing more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg porters cabin.jpg (89.5 KB, 34 views)
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 11-22-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Just make sure if you buy a license online you only use the fwp.mt.gov website. It is the only official website to buy fishing licenses in Montana. If you use another website there is no guarantee it’s legit and if you get checked using the wrong website and buying a fake license won’t get you out of a ticket. I checked a few guys this summer who did this and as unfortunate as it is... you have to know what your doing.