Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-03-2016, 12:53 PM

Default Ya-Ha-Tinda

Hello all,
Gonna be heading out to Ya-ha-tinda this week. Just had a couple questions as it will be my first time there. I already did some searching but couldn't find if there is an outhouse facility of some kind there or not. I understand it is in the category of random camping so generally I would just assume no toilet but this area seems pretty popular. Also, any advice or suggestions as to what flies to try in the area? Any areas in particular you would recommend to hike to for fishing? Might also try eagle lake since I'll be in the area. And just out of curiosity what has been your experiences in the ya-ha-tinda area?
Thanks for any info.
Old 07-03-2016, 01:14 PM

There are outhouses bring your own tp
Old 07-03-2016, 04:32 PM

I have caught some nice fish from eagle, 16"+ cutties. I find black dry flys work well at the lake. In the river the browns and bulls like streamers and bigger nymphs, and stimmies if rising, the whitefish like bead head nymphs. Wade with caution! The panther river is also in the area but i have never fished it. Good luck.
Old 07-04-2016, 08:22 PM

I have fished in the area a little bit, never camped nor have I done the hike to eagle lake but great scenery, and some decent fishing in the river. Also in the small creek just below the falls at campground you'd be surprised there is some fun little bull trout and Brookies that are always eager to eat good luck out there and make sure you give us a report on to how your trip went.

P.S me and the buddy saw three Grizzlies up there while fishing the Red deer so just also be aware of them too.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:56 AM

There are 2 campgrounds in the area. The Bighorn and Eagle creek campgrounds are operated by The Friends of the Eastern Slopes. Although there is no charge to camp we ask that users buy a yearly membership for $30. Pretty good for unlimited camping. There are outhouses. Bighorn is mostly horse groups. Our website is currently being redone but you can check out our facebook page here. Have fun out there. Let us know how the fishing is.
https://www.facebook.com/FriendsOfTh...esAssociation/