Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-04-2020, 04:42 PM

Error due to slow site.

Grizz

Last edited by Grizzly Adams; 08-04-2020 at 05:10 PM.
Old 08-04-2020, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
That seems to be what is being most reported. Storage of explosives confiscated from a ship in the Mediterranean.
Some have surmised fireworks, some U.S. intelligence saying explosives bound for one of the many Middle East hotspots.
Either way it was a huge amount.
Explosives and harbors are not a good mix . Fireworks sounds like some Liberal grasping at straws Been a few bad accidents including Halifax . This one is unique, because it released poison gasses as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_raid_on_Bari

Grizz
Old 08-04-2020, 05:52 PM

Default And Lebanon

Is know for her wonderful fireworks displays..........More like Iran +Syria;s proxy harbouring many terrorist groups.I'm certain it was an accident.Scuba gear and a mini-sub and you've got mail.
Old 08-04-2020, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
Is know for her wonderful fireworks displays..........More like Iran +Syria;s proxy harbouring many terrorist groups.I'm certain it was an accident.Scuba gear and a mini-sub and you've got mail.
What in the holy Jesus are you saying?
Old 08-04-2020, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENINC View Post
What in the holy Jesus are you saying?
I figured out what he was trying to say and trust me, your life will not be better for understanding what he was driving at. Some people just can't help being a jerk (least offensive term I could think of) even in the face of harm to thousands of innocent people.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:33 PM

Got to feel for the Palestinians. Their yoke is tight and load heavy.

Sad day for such a troubled community. I hope that the region and others will find the resources and goodness to help.

On another note, why do the same core group feel the need to idly speculate on the cause of such things and make haste and sometimes hateful conclusions without even a shred of evidence or direct knowledge.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post

Sad day for such a troubled community. I hope that the region and others will find the resources and goodness to help.

On another note, why do the same core group feel the need to idly speculate on the cause of such things and make haste and sometimes hateful conclusions without even a shred of evidence or direct knowledge.
Lebanon used to be a beautiful, prosperous country, a popular European holiday destination , Hong Kong of the Middle East, before the sectarian violence and picking the wrong side in the Arab, Israeli conflict. That was one Hell of an explosion, not likely your local firecracker factory gone wrong, almost 80 dead, last time I checked. We're free to speculate or is that not allowed these days either?? The Palestinians are their own worst enemy.

Grizz

Last edited by Grizzly Adams; 08-04-2020 at 08:00 PM.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:41 PM

President Michel Aoun*said it was "unacceptable" that 2,750 tonnes of ammonium nitrate was stored in a warehouse for six years without safety measures and vowed that those responsible would face the "harshest punishments." He called for an emergency cabinet meeting on Wednesday and said a two-week state of emergency should be declared.

a tragedy could have been avoided Aoun vows those will held accountable
Old 08-04-2020, 08:47 PM

Trump believes it was an attack, calling it a bomb.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAlberta View Post
Trump believes it was an attack, calling it a bomb.
But he says all kinds of stupid things. US officials indicated there was no evidence of an attack, and are taking it at face value: the explosion was caused by a welder on-site where 2750 tons of ammonium nitrate was stored without adequate safeguards.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 08-05-2020, 07:05 AM

2750 tons of ammonium nitrate was stored without adequate safeguards.

NH4NO3 is one of those two faced compounds, spread it on your field and it's a fertilizer, not really much used these days, mix it with a few other things and it's a potent and popular high explosive, question being what was it in an unstable and conflicted part of the planet ?

Grizz
Old 08-05-2020, 08:00 AM

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...gjte6IEC2c8Xys
Old 08-05-2020, 08:19 AM

A primer on how ammonium nitrate explodes.....

https://www.livescience.com/28841-fe...m-nitrate.html

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 08-05-2020, 08:19 AM

Here's a photo of Halifax explosion.Of munitions in Halifax.1917 2.90 Kilo tons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halifax_Explosion
With today's new chemicals,just a comparison...Bierut's explosion is devastating
Old 08-05-2020, 09:52 AM

Someone's getting written up
Old 08-05-2020, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
But he says all kinds of stupid things. US officials indicated there was no evidence of an attack, and are taking it at face value: the explosion was caused by a welder on-site where 2750 tons of ammonium nitrate was stored without adequate safeguards.
To put this into perspective, Tim Mcveigh took out 1/3rd of the Federal Building in Oklahoma City and killed 168 and injuring 680 with 2 tons of ammonium nitrate.
The casualties and injuries tallied everyday for the next while will be immense.
Old 08-05-2020, 10:45 AM

I'm seeing yield estimate on the explosion in the 3+ kiloton range, maybe as high as 4. Roughly about a fifth of the explosive yield of the bomb that was dropped on Nagasaki. Just to put it in perspective.

Old 08-05-2020, 10:52 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy The Kid View Post
welder and no spark watch.....I don't think they are around for the sit down....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-05-2020, 10:54 AM

Isn’t it ammonium nitrate mixed with diesel that is used for mine blasting? Or at least once was? I would imagine for bulk users like mines, the low cost of those two simple & very common components would offset any performance disadvantages compared to more specialized explosives.

The footage of the fire and small explosions that preceded the big boom makes me think that the initial spark was something different than the ammonium nitrate, perhaps some clown really did store fireworks next to the fertilizer? Or it could have been something like bottled flammable gases.... Those smaller explosions had to be something individually packaged, rather than a bulk substance.
Old 08-05-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy The Kid View Post
and sent for a pizz test!

BW
Old 08-05-2020, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Isn’t it ammonium nitrate mixed with diesel that is used for mine blasting? Or at least once was? I would imagine for bulk users like mines, the low cost of those two simple & very common components would offset any performance disadvantages compared to more specialized explosives.

The footage of the fire and small explosions that preceded the big boom makes me think that the initial spark was something different than the ammonium nitrate, perhaps some clown really did store fireworks next to the fertilizer? Or it could have been something like bottled flammable gases.... Those smaller explosions had to be something individually packaged, rather than a bulk substance.
Yes the name of it is ANFO
Old 08-05-2020, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post

Its called ANFO Ammonium Nitrate Fuel Oil. The thing is ammonium nitrate is relatively stable on its own, it is an oxidizer and must be mixed to get the explosive results like the video shows. So what did it mix with? If it was fireworks you can see before the initial explosion I still don't know if they would be enough to set off the blast.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 08-05-2020, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
Its called ANFO Ammonium Nitrate Fuel Oil. The thing is ammonium nitrate is relatively stable on its own, it is an oxidizer and must be mixed to get the explosive results like the video shows. So what did it mix with? If it was fireworks you can see before the initial explosion I still don't know if they would be enough to set off the blast.
The event itself is tragic for the entire region. The science behind it is rather cool though. Although stable as the intended product, it’s decomposition can lead to the reaction transitioning into an explosion. That big white cloud was moisture precipitating out from the air as the reactions shockwave went by. The brown cloud was surely a slow flame front working into the material. The gray cloud would be whatever started the whole thing, appearing to be fireworks

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defl...ion_transition

Last edited by MyAlberta; 08-05-2020 at 01:13 PM.
Old 08-05-2020, 01:26 PM

Found a bag of Ammonium Nitrate discarded by seismic crew on cutline on my trapline. I quickly changed that line area to a non active one as did not like my sled banging into it by accident. Idiots that discarded it.
The Lebanon material would have needed diesel already mixed into to set off such a large explosion even if initiated by a fireworks initial fire.
Old 08-05-2020, 02:08 PM

Third rate safety standards in a third rate country. Unfortunately alot of those type of country’s poor safety standards make their way here when they move to Canada. It’s a mindset or a culture they have grown up with. I work in a truck shop and the things we see....
Old 08-05-2020, 02:36 PM

Exclamation Bada-Boom!

Based on further information, this may have been bigger than a grain dust explosion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Beirut before and after August 4.jpg (43.7 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg Beirut before and after August 4 alt.jpg (69.9 KB, 94 views)

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 08-05-2020, 03:51 PM

Default For starters

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post

They aren't Palestinians,this happened in a predominately Christian area.I have a Lebanese friend two doors down that has family there and he is relatively certain it was the Israelis.Lebanon is complicated politically ....Syria is in control and wants to keep it that way while bowing to Iran allowing Hezbollah free reign.If it was Israel they may have underestimated the collateral damage.Don't jump to conclusions if you think this is black and white.The PLO started the civil war there in the 80's and destroyed what was known as Little Paris/Beruit murdering every Christian they could lay hands on.
Old 08-05-2020, 03:57 PM

Default to save some writing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michel_Aoun
Old 08-05-2020, 04:12 PM

Crazy video.

It would have been terrifying to see this happen and have no idea what was going on.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/beirut...fter-1.5674666
Old 08-05-2020, 05:15 PM

With news reports about the seized cargo and the crew of the ship it was on dating back years, its well-established where the ammonium nitrate was from, though why it was still there does point to a certain level of incompetence. It should have been sold and shipped to the purchaser as the amount of space it would take up is ludicrous, never mind the obvious hazard it presented.

I'll go with Occam's razor on this and bet it was a few subsequent acts of everyday incompetence resulting in disastrous consequences, rather than an elaborate foreign plot.

What an awful thing for the people there....