Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-01-2020, 05:46 PM

Default What’s your butcher/meat shops or Deli

Just found a pretty good European market in my neighbourhood, managed to pick up some real good cold smoked salmon, some pretty good smoked sturgeon, some real good polish sausage and cheese. These hidden gems are everywhere, and was wondering where’s yours, and also what you like to grab when you’re there! This helps support local business, and put quality food in your fridge
Old 08-01-2020, 05:58 PM

Charlie’s here in Sherwood Park. Amazing amazing place!! Follow him on FB.

He unfortunately just lost his brother and nephew in a plane crash over Cooking Lake two weeks ago...

He also butchers wild game for those hunters looking for a butcher
Old 08-01-2020, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morinj View Post
Just found a pretty good European market in my neighbourhood, managed to pick up some real good cold smoked salmon, some pretty good smoked sturgeon, some real good polish sausage and cheese. These hidden gems are everywhere, and was wondering where’s yours, and also what you like to grab when you’re there! This helps support local business, and put quality food in your fridge
How does it help local business when you don`t even name your local shop?

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-01-2020, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
How does it help local business when you don`t even name your local shop?
I have several, that I was planning to share if there was any interest in the thread, did you have something to share or are you just making observations?
Old 08-01-2020, 06:41 PM

Bens meats on stony plain road has always been good, and I really like the changes they’ve made to their shop, they have a great variety of fresh meats, and other treats, I like the black liquorice diamonds! Callingwood European deli also has come along way since they opened, I really enjoy their European sausages, and their plain old cold smoked salmon, you can also pick up all sorts of European candy, and the produce is a lot cheaper then the local supermarkets. Prices are very reasonable, picked up a large jar of spicy picked garlic for $3.50, and pretty nice size chunk of salmon for under 10 bucks
Old 08-01-2020, 10:21 PM

My go-to is Real Deal Meats is in South Edmonton. Darcy or Alicia will look after whatever you need
Old 08-01-2020, 10:26 PM

Default Choices

In my opinion the best butcher in Edmonton was Sandy lane meats and deli.
A fire took him out of business some years ago now, and he moved his whole operation out in the country up near Fawcett, north of Westlock. This fine french fellow makes the very best goose jerky, the finest goose smokies and goose garlic sausage. Of course he makes excellent sausage no matter what meat he uses. Even his beef jerky is KILLER. Don't want to drive all the way to Fawceett for his services, No problem he has pick up and drop off every thursday at Bens Meats on stony plain road,.......FS
Old 08-01-2020, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faststeel View Post
In my opinion the best butcher in Edmonton was Sandy lane meats and deli.
A fire took him out of business some years ago now, and he moved his whole operation out in the country up near Fawcett, north of Westlock. This fine french fellow makes the very best goose jerky, the finest goose smokies and goose garlic sausage. Of course he makes excellent sausage no matter what meat he uses. Even his beef jerky is KILLER. Don't want to drive all the way to Fawceett for his services, No problem he has pick up and drop off every thursday at Bens Meats on stony plain road,.......FS
I wonder if it’s the same French fellow who has a spot at Callingwood farmers market, he prides himself on his sausage, and foie gras!
Old 08-01-2020, 10:58 PM

Eiserman Meats - Slave Lake
Old 08-02-2020, 11:54 AM

Callingwood European Deli is my preferred choice for shopping for anything but meats. Great fresh veggies and fruits for up to 50% less than Safeway. Lots of European style dry salamies, sausages, cheeses and preserves. Great selection of European (Russian and Ukrainian) sweets. Farm chickens and eggs.
You can also get the typical Russian delicacies like cold and hot smoked fish( sturgeon, salmon, trout, white fish etc etc etc), salmon salted red caviar or even black caviar(isn’t cheap but worth it if you are a fan), and also a locally home made buns filled with potatoes, cheese, sweet cheese, cabbage, meat or cherries, apples, apricots etc etc etc...
Old 08-02-2020, 02:05 PM

Default Choices

Wow
lots of Pm's for guys wondering about Jaques and Sandy Lane meat and deli, his old phone number still works for his new shop.....FS
Old 08-02-2020, 02:10 PM

I like Polcan in Calgary for deli meats and smoked sausages.
Paolinis is ok too, I like the bratwurst there.

I rarely buy red meat
Old 08-02-2020, 05:42 PM

Calgary Delis, I really like Edelweiss in the NW and Heritage deli in the SW. Heritage deli has hands down the best perogis in the city fyi. At lunch you can order combo #1 and get them with sour cream, polish sausage, cabbage rolls, and hunter's stew.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:23 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

around this neck of the woods it's Hamel's hands down....

https://hamelsqualitymeats.com/

if you come here to camp etc stop in....I always buy more then intended too and they make all my smokies, peperoni etc after hunting season.....oh and the staff are top notch too.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-02-2020, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Bens meats on stony plain road has always been good, and I really like the changes they’ve made to their shop, they have a great variety of fresh meats, and other treats, I like the black liquorice diamonds! Callingwood European deli also has come along way since they opened, I really enjoy their European sausages, and their plain old cold smoked salmon, you can also pick up all sorts of European candy, and the produce is a lot cheaper then the local supermarkets. Prices are very reasonable, picked up a large jar of spicy picked garlic for $3.50, and pretty nice size chunk of salmon for under 10 bucks
I’ll second Ben’s Meats. Great people excellent products!

BW
Old 08-02-2020, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post

if you come here to camp etc stop in....I always buy more then intended too and they make all my smokies, peperoni etc after hunting season.....oh and the staff are top notch too.
Back in the ‘70’s I used to stop in their shop daily on my walk home for lunch and pick up an order from there that my mom would call in. I grew up on Hamel’s meats. Gus, Sharon, and the boys are great people.

BW

Last edited by Bigwoodsman; 08-02-2020 at 08:51 PM.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:32 PM

Prairie meats ...Coaldale,AB
Old 08-02-2020, 09:23 PM

Quote:
There's also a Bens Meat in Fort MacLeod
Very good meat cutter, very reasonable price
His phone number is in the phone book or you can pm me and I will give you more info.
Old 08-03-2020, 06:21 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
Back in the ‘70’s I used to stop in their shop daily on my walk home for lunch and pick up an order from there that my mom would call in. I grew up on Hamel’s meats. Gus, Sharon, and the boys are great people.

BW
Yup came here in 2003....walked in and my nose new this was the place....that fall I brought in a wild boar to process....wow....moose...deer...followed soon after...ohhhh and if a road trip is on the agenda the vehicle gets a few bags of jerky

Old 08-03-2020, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post

But only the one in Cold Lake has the good Jerky the one in Bonnyville doesn’t have all the different flavours.

They always have a pretty good sale on there cases of steaks there too. Usually buy 1 get one free. Can get a bunch of nice cut steaks for a decent price all individually vac sealed.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:12 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatwest View Post
But only the one in Cold Lake has the good Jerky the one in Bonnyville doesn’t have all the different flavours.
True but another awesome product that comes out of Bonnyville Hamel's is the western cut steaks....if you never had it ya better before ya kick the bucket....it'll give you a little taste of heaven

I also just luv the fact that they are so community involved....when I was coaching sports we would always get burgers/hot dogs as a donation for our bbq's etc

Oh and I forgot that when we head down south for mule deer hunts we also load up on thier various meat pie's....after a long day we roll in, pop a few in the oven, clean up and enjoy them with a wobbly pop

Old 08-03-2020, 08:25 AM

I love Alberta Prairie Meats in Duchess ,AO member here Oldgutpile is the best!
Cat
Old 08-03-2020, 08:35 AM

Bendfeld's Meats in Heisler, Alberta. Best smoked sausage ever.
Old 08-03-2020, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC1 View Post
There's also a Bens Meat in Fort MacLeod
Very good meat cutter, very reasonable price
His phone number is in the phone book or you can pm me and I will give you more info.
Next time I heads down to Lethbridge I’m definitely gona check it out!!!
Old 08-03-2020, 06:10 PM

The "Butcher Block" in Dawson Creek is my favourite butcher shop. Great variety, the products are local, and great meat quality.

Also Acme meat is a great one in Edmonton. Where they sell the more rare cuts and varieties of meat... wagyu beef, skirt steak, hanger steak, picania... mmm.

Although I have to say that I prefer eating elk and moose over anything from the butcher.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTheory View Post
The "Butcher Block" in Dawson Creek is my favourite butcher shop. Great variety, the products are local, and great meat quality.

Also Acme meat is a great one in Edmonton. Where they sell the more rare cuts and varieties of meat... wagyu beef, skirt steak, hanger steak, picania... mmm.

Although I have to say that I prefer eating elk and moose over anything from the butcher.
Never even heard of Acme, been looking for a good specially butcher, I’m gona check it out this weekend for sure!
Old 08-04-2020, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Never even heard of Acme, been looking for a good specially butcher, I’m gona check it out this weekend for sure!
The best in the city if you are looking for a butcher not a wild game sausage maker.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:24 AM

We go to Widnowski's for Sausage etc in East Edmonton. One of the big reasons is that in addition to great flavour, their products are gluetin free. https://www.sausagehouse.ca/

I gave up on finding a good butcher shop in North Central Edmonton or St Albert. We tried a few, mediocre meat at premium prices is all we found. The one in St Albert, D'Arcy's Meats, was both expensive and he couldn't cut a steak an even thickness on a bet nor could he figure out how to get 2 steaks in a package that were even close to the same thickness. Be interested to see if anyone posts a good one in this area.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
We go to Widnowski's for Sausage etc in East Edmonton. One of the big reasons is that in addition to great flavour, their products are gluetin free. https://www.sausagehouse.ca/

I gave up on finding a good butcher shop in North Central Edmonton or St Albert. We tried a few, mediocre meat at premium prices is all we found. The one in St Albert, D'Arcy's Meats, was both expensive and he couldn't cut a steak an even thickness on a bet nor could he figure out how to get 2 steaks in a package that were even close to the same thickness. Be interested to see if anyone posts a good one in this area.
Loblaws actually has a pretty good selection of dry aged, and specialty cuts, and they have the necessary tools to cut even sized steaks, I know it’s not a Ma & Pa spot, but if you’re gona do a bbq for several people it’s quite convenient, they’ll even dry age a full roast to be later cut into steaks for you! They are located in Oliver
Old 08-04-2020, 05:21 PM

Try Old Country meat and sausage in Bruderhiem
The quality is high and the prices reasonable.
Sausage is really good and without additives