Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-28-2020, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAlberta View Post
A follow up email from CWS
Pretty much matches what I was saying about cooked versus just ground raw meat. One issue I have is their comment about counting towards possession limit for the whole season. Once it is consumed or given away it no longer counts in your possession limit, and possession limit is not restricted to what you shot just this season. The way it sits right now, if you have birds from last year, they too count in your possession limit, even a mounted bird on the wall counts, though the proposed new regs are supposed to change that. The lack of precision in their responses is quite concerning.

Keeping a record of species and number of birds put away would also mean you would need to record how many you are consuming to have anywhere near an accurate possession count. I don't think I know of a single person that actually does that once the meat is processed.

P.S. Just read your reply about what constitutes adequate documentation. At the rate they are going they will make it so complicated no one will be able to be compliant. Can you imagine the size of the label you would need on each jar to hold all the information they are asking to see.

Last edited by Dean2; 07-28-2020 at 12:02 PM.
Old 07-28-2020, 03:39 PM

So how would the get an accurate count on 100lbs of jerky. Or what happens if you add pork to sausage or ground meat.
Old 07-30-2020, 02:44 PM

They come up with crap like this and then wonder why hunter numbers are dropping and wonder why new young hunters are on the whole are a hard sell to take to traditional hunting as we once knew it. What a ridiculous concept to have to document each and every species, and number of each a lot of sausage or ground meat may contain.

A follow up email from CWS

Quote:
Thank you for your question regarding the Migratory Birds Regulations and the possession of harvested migratory birds.

The migratory birds (processed meat or birds) that you hunt count in your possession limit for the entire hunting season. For transporting harvested birds, a wing must remain attached to carcasses for identification purposes (daily bag limits and possession limits vary by species). The wing may only be removed once birds are prepared for immediate cooking and consumption or after the birds are taken to the owner’s residence for preservation. Because processing migratory game birds into sausage or jerky or canning them involves cooking procedures, it is considered lawful to remove the fully feathered wing from the carcass of a migratory game bird when it is being processed into sausage or jerky or canned. The wing must be retained on the carcass in all other circumstances, i.e. for transportation between the hunting site and hunter's permanent residence. Again, birds processed into sausage or jerky or canned still count toward the possession limit of the person who possesses them. It is recommended that the hunter retain records noting the number of each species taken and converted to jerky or sausage or canned.

Should you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact us again at : ec.scf-oismiggibiers-cws-miggamebirds.ec@canada.ca

Canadian Wildlife Service
Old 08-28-2020, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
No, possession includes “processed” meat. You can’t go to the lake and catch clean and can as many fish as you want because they finally rest in cans or jars. You have to adhere to “possession” limits.

LC
LC is correct.

The new possession rules won’t come into force until next year (2021). At that time you can “process” your birds and they will come off your possession limit.
Old 08-29-2020, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuk View Post
LC is correct.

The new possession rules won’t come into force until next year (2021). At that time you can “process” your birds and they will come off your possession limit.
I found this quote from https://www.canada.ca/en/environment...gulations.html

It does talk about a 2021 date implementation.

Status update on modernization of Migratory Birds Regulations

Drafted in 1917, the Migratory Birds Regulations have never been comprehensively updated or revised. We are currently amending the regulations to:

update the language to modern standards
correct errors
re-structure them for clarity
address enforcement issues
implement new policies relating to the management of migratory bird hunting
The proposed amendments recognize existing Aboriginal and treaty rights according to section 35 of the Constitution Act, 1982, with respect to harvesting migratory birds and their eggs.

We held consultations on the proposed amendments with respect to references to Aboriginal people and the management of hunting in 2013 and 2014 respectively. We held consultations related to bait authorizations and the intentional flooding of fields for the purpose of hunting in 2017. We have carefully considered all comments received during these consultations.

The proposed revised regulations have been published in the Canada Gazette, Part I, and a public comment period took place from June 1, 2019 to September 30, 2019. All comments received are being carefully considered by Environment and Climate Change Canada in the development of the final regulations. We anticipate that the revised regulations will be published in late 2020 or early 2021, and will come into force in July 2021, in time for the fall 2021 hunting season.

For more information on the modernization of the Migratory Birds Regulations, please contact us at the Canadian Wildlife Service: ec.reglementsfaune-wildliferegulations.ec@canada.ca.

I know that proposal (processing removing from possession) has been talked about now for 6-7 years ,,, It's crazy how long these things take to become "law",,, but what bothers me is there no direct mention of new possession changes in this passage.

Canuk, I do hope you are correct about new possession rules being included in the "modernization of Migratory Birds Regulations"