Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-27-2020, 12:01 PM

Default I Tried to Catch a Walleye using a Texas Rig (Wabamun Lake)

This was mainly a experimental. There was alot of people around and many were catching walleye with a minnow and a bobber. I just wanted to test this method and challenge myself to see if I could make it happen.

I am always challenging myself by using unconventional methods. Sometimes it turns out really good, sometimes It turns out to be a terrible idea.

https://youtu.be/y2g7zGCAMBE

Hope you guys enjoy this video. I'm up for all the constructive criticism.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 05-27-2020, 12:14 PM

Nothing to criticsize nice thinking. Actually we use a variation of that for all our shore walleye fishing. Pike like the slider rigs too. Look up catfish and carp rigs and you will find even more ideas to tweak your presentation. Only difference is we use minnows most of the time. Sturgeon fishermen use slider rigs all the time too. Lots of variations out there for fish we dont fish for here so we never see or hear about them. Check European sites too they use several types there too for them.
Old 05-27-2020, 01:48 PM

I've done well texas rigging for walleye in snaggy river holes. I find that the hooking percentage takes a hit though, so unless I've got a bunch of dead timber on the bottom I don't bother.

I do fish minnows in a Texas/ Carolina rigged fashion quite often, but that's simply to keep them on the hook longer. Fishing them through snags will usually tear the bait off and result in getting hung up anyways, so not really the same thing IMO. But a Texas hooked minnow on a slip sinker rig, with some floatation to keep the bait off the bottom, is pretty much my go-to bottom rig.
Old 05-27-2020, 01:52 PM

Works great in the river(oldman river-Lethbridge) around beaver lodges and snags. Catch walleye and pike, even burbot.

Edit: what Bushleague said.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post
This was mainly a experimental. There was alot of people around and many were catching walleye with a minnow and a bobber. I just wanted to test this method and challenge myself to see if I could make it happen.

I am always challenging myself by using unconventional methods. Sometimes it turns out really good, sometimes It turns out to be a terrible idea.

https://youtu.be/y2g7zGCAMBE

Hope you guys enjoy this video. I'm up for all the constructive criticism.
Great video. Might try that out some day
Old 05-28-2020, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
Nothing to criticsize nice thinking. Actually we use a variation of that for all our shore walleye fishing. Pike like the slider rigs too. Look up catfish and carp rigs and you will find even more ideas to tweak your presentation. Only difference is we use minnows most of the time. Sturgeon fishermen use slider rigs all the time too. Lots of variations out there for fish we dont fish for here so we never see or hear about them. Check European sites too they use several types there too for them.
I'll have to check out those different methods from european sites. I find other methods interesting.

Thank you

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 05-29-2020, 03:34 PM

It was at that moment........ that he knew......he had messed up!