Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-27-2020, 09:48 AM

Default Parks near reservations closed until further notice!?!?

So I live not too far from Calling Lake and fish there a lot. After hearing the parks were either open or opening June 1st I was planning on going out for opening day on Calling Lake. My wife kept bugging me to check to see if the boat launch was open and sent me a link saying it wasn't.

I called Alberta Parks and they told me Calling lake park is closed until further notice and not opening on June 1st. Nobody could tell me why it's closed or when it may open. I left my number and am still waiting to hear back. I'm not holding my breath.

I called F&W the lady there told me she thought our esteemed prime minister had closed all parks near reservations in an attempt to protect our native population.

I've tried some researching on the web to find out what's going on and why but I'm having no luck.

Does anybody have a link or any definitive info they can pass along to me regarding park closures near reservations??

Luckily for me there's a second boat launch at Calling Lake that isn't part of the darn park.............
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 05-27-2020, 10:35 AM

Wouldn't surprise me....
Old 05-27-2020, 11:23 AM

The PP has been closed for camping for the season, but the issue is the day use area.

When the cut backs were announced, there was the very subtle statement that the Province was looking to the Counties to operate a number of parks, such as Calling Lake.

MD is saying they will not operate it. MD of Opportunity already operates Rock Island and it is a money loser.

To operate Calling Lake PP would be a big undertaking, with no revenue for day use. MD has Ben Auger Park, Jeramy Nipishank Park, the Cultural Grounds, etc, that they already operate. Boat Launch at Ben Auger in any event.

Just getting a contractor to haul away fish guts and garbage, and clean outhouses, would be a big and expensive job.

With the traffic, I cannot understand why someone does not set up a concession and bait shop, with coffee and pop and ice cream, at the boat launch. The Contract could require the concession operator to do the garbage clean up in exchange.

Cannot say more on the issue. What I can recommend is that Sh*t rolls downhill. Contact the Premier's Office and tell the assistant that this is a ridiculous situation and he just lost your vote.

Drewski
Old 05-27-2020, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post
So I live not too far from Calling Lake and fish there a lot. After hearing the parks were either open or opening June 1st I was planning on going out for opening day on Calling Lake. My wife kept bugging me to check to see if the boat launch was open and sent me a link saying it wasn't.

I called Alberta Parks and they told me Calling lake park is closed until further notice and not opening on June 1st. Nobody could tell me why it's closed or when it may open. I left my number and am still waiting to hear back. I'm not holding my breath.

I called F&W the lady there told me she thought our esteemed prime minister had closed all parks near reservations in an attempt to protect our native population.

I've tried some researching on the web to find out what's going on and why but I'm having no luck.

Does anybody have a link or any definitive info they can pass along to me regarding park closures near reservations??

Luckily for me there's a second boat launch at Calling Lake that isn't part of the darn park.............
Prime Minister? What would he have to do with a provincial park?
Old 05-27-2020, 04:09 PM

Ummmmmm,

Winddrift, Jason Kenney is NOT the Prime Minister of Northwest America until we separate, do you understand?

For now, Jason Kenney is only The Premier of Alberta, and it is Alberta who has jurisdiction over the issue of Provincial Parks.

But, I do like the way you think!!!

Drewski
Old 05-28-2020, 06:50 AM

Default Calling Lake

So Drewski, if I can summarize what you’re saying. Calling lake is basically done for this year!! Wow!! The way I’m reading what you’re saying is the boat launch will be shut down, no camping for this season, and the place will turn into a garbage dump.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:07 AM

by reservation do you mean reserve ? reservation is the american spelling .
Old 05-28-2020, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin View Post
So Drewski, if I can summarize what you’re saying. Calling lake is basically done for this year!! Wow!! The way I’m reading what you’re saying is the boat launch will be shut down, no camping for this season, and the place will turn into a garbage dump.
NOPE!!!

There is a boat launch, an MD Boat Launch, at Ben Auger Park on the north end of Calling Lake Drive, north of the Jean Baptiste Indian Reserve, before you cross sucker creek.

Nice playground for the kids, big parking area.

Bernie Cardinal and his crew from the MD have been working on the park getting the piers in.

Drewski
Old 05-28-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind drift View Post
Prime Minister? What would he have to do with a provincial park?
Good question, it's what I was told. Like I said, I'm looking for info and I think I found it thanks to Dreski.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
The PP has been closed for camping for the season, but the issue is the day use area.

When the cut backs were announced, there was the very subtle statement that the Province was looking to the Counties to operate a number of parks, such as Calling Lake.

MD is saying they will not operate it. MD of Opportunity already operates Rock Island and it is a money loser.

To operate Calling Lake PP would be a big undertaking, with no revenue for day use. MD has Ben Auger Park, Jeramy Nipishank Park, the Cultural Grounds, etc, that they already operate. Boat Launch at Ben Auger in any event.

Just getting a contractor to haul away fish guts and garbage, and clean outhouses, would be a big and expensive job.

With the traffic, I cannot understand why someone does not set up a concession and bait shop, with coffee and pop and ice cream, at the boat launch. The Contract could require the concession operator to do the garbage clean up in exchange.

Cannot say more on the issue. What I can recommend is that Sh*t rolls downhill. Contact the Premier's Office and tell the assistant that this is a ridiculous situation and he just lost your vote.

Drewski
This all makes sense. Sad but, makes sense. I couldn't agree more about a bait/coffee shop. I also think it would be a good idea to charge a boat launch fee. Maybe something like $5 per or have a season price.

A couple years back my bro from back home in Saskatoon was up fishing with me and he commented on how crappy the launch in the park is. I couldn't agree more. He mentioned that a lot of lakes in SK are now charging a boat launch fee to cover the cost of upkeep on their launches. I think it's a terrific idea. I do not mind in the least supporting my favorite passtimes (make that "passions") and this would be a good way to do it. I know a lot of folks wouldn't agree. But I think it's every bit as good an idea as putting up a coffee/concession/bait shop.

As for the day use idea........the Alberta Parks website has a big red banner on the Calling Lake page stating it's open for day use. But upon asking the kid I got on the phone about that he told me that banner appears on every page and it's wrong as far as Calling Lake goes.........he said Calling Lake is closed until further notice.

Thanks for the info Drew, I've only ever been to the Ben Auger boat launch one time about a decade ago.........I'm pretty sure I'll find it no problem. Now if the weather would just cooperate......................

***William Henley***
Old 05-28-2020, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liar View Post
by reservation do you mean reserve ? reservation is the american spelling .
This from a person who doesn't know how to capitalize or use punctuation.

As my dearly departed dad would say, "Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought an idiot than open it and remove all doubt"

***William Henley***
Old 05-28-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:
This from a person who doesn't know how to capitalize or use punctuation.

As my dearly departed dad would say, "Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought an idiot than open it and remove all doubt"
You forgot the period, at the end of your sentence.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:34 PM

I get beaten up a lot about punctuation . I did not realize there were so many scholars on here . For you , i will try to do better .
Old 05-29-2020, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
You forgot the period, at the end of your sentence.
Hah~

Hoist on my own petard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by liar View Post
I get beaten up a lot about punctuation . I did not realize there were so many scholars on here . For you , i will try to do better .
I appreciate that! LOL

Psssst........no space between last letter of word and punctuation.

***William Henley***
Old 05-29-2020, 09:56 AM

My god, the thread is enough to get me rooting for Covid. Let er rip, we deserve it.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Hah~

Hoist on my own petard!

I appreciate that! LOL

Psssst........no space between last letter of word and punctuation.
would that not be "hoisted"?

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 05-29-2020, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
My god, the thread is enough to get me rooting for Covid. Let er rip, we deserve it.
If i was captured by the Germans and was made to read more punctuation drivel for a life sentence, I would would walk into the chamber on my own!!
Old 05-29-2020, 08:01 PM

twenty first ,centurions r week when it coms too speling and punctuation thats a fact I blam twiter an tex masagis no one no’s how to crate a sentince anymor its al abowt hery up an say what yo gotta say and forget abot poof reeding it b4 u hit sent
Old 05-30-2020, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
twenty first ,centurions r week when it coms too seling and punctuation bhats a fatt I blam twiter an tex masagis no on kno’s how to crate a sentince anymor its al abowt hery up an say what yo godda sai an fowged abot poof reeding it b4 u hit SAND
There. Fixed it for you!

Drewski
Old 05-30-2020, 08:01 AM

OH Boy another " I can't go camping thread "

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 05-30-2020, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
would that not be "hoisted"?
Nope...it's 'hoist'

hoist
verb
raise (something) by means of ropes and pulleys.
1. an act of raising or lifting something.
2. the part of a flag nearest the staff; the vertical dimension of a flag

"Hoisted" would be past tense. As in, "Jack hoisted the flag at sunrise" as compared to, "I'm about to hoist the flag".

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin View Post
If i was captured by the Germans and was made to read more punctuation drivel for a life sentence, I would would walk into the chamber on my own!!
Yet you felt it necessary to respond.

I guess you missed the humorous aspect of the sidebar in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
OH Boy another " I can't go camping thread "
Actually, it's a "I can't use the boat launch in this park" thread. Why would I camp at a lake some 30 miles from my home!?!?

***William Henley***
Old 05-30-2020, 08:18 AM

Wow tough crowd. Starts off with a boat launch conversation and leads to a grammar, spelling and a how, where, when and why to place any one of the 14 punctuation marks.