Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-15-2020, 08:04 PM

Default 12’ Aluminum

I’m looking at picking up a 12 ft boat that I can throw in the bed of my truck. As such, I’d like to keep it at a max length of around 12’. I only have experience with V Hulls, and that’s primarily what I’m looking for, although I’m open to a 1240 Jon. Will be used for lake fishing with a 9.9HP (Wab/Pigeon/Slave), although I’d also use it with an electric for fishing the Parks. Primarily one or 2 people, but I’d like the ability to squeeze a third in on occasion. Wondering if you guys have any recommendations for specific boats or dealers around the Edmonton area (willing to drive 3 or 4 hours for the right boat/deal). Thanks in advance everyone.
Old 06-15-2020, 08:13 PM

If your leaning towards new at all I'd look seriously at a Marlon 12'. The 12' V they make looks pretty sick. I own a 12' jon and a 12' harbercraft I would definitely recommend staying away from a Jon if you are going to fish lakes of that size.
Old 06-15-2020, 10:10 PM

12 ft Lund with a 15 horse 2 stroke is a serious 2 man fishing machine. We grew up fishin in 12fts in some big water. Not many days we let the weather **** us down. Just gotta take er easy if it's rolling big time. So convenient to thro her in the back of the truck. All we had was regular cab long box trucks back then.
Old 06-15-2020, 10:19 PM

I ran 14' jons and one huge Smoker Craft 16' for years on the rivers up here, and any little bit of rough water made them miserable to be in!
My little 12' tinner is a dream in rough water compared to them.
If it is primarily for lakes, my advice is to stick with a V or semi V hull, unless you only want to fish on calm days.
Cat
Old 06-16-2020, 06:45 AM

My first boat was a 12 ft Harbercraft . Did the same thing, back of the truck with a 9.9 Found at the end of the day ,it was not to much fun to load up back in the truck . Now those new 4 strokes are over a 100 lbs. .
I ended up building my own trailer . that made it better.
I came to the conclusion , 12 ft are not the way to go ,as they are not stable .
Only the first 4 ft from the engine is stable,if you get a passenger in the middle seat ,he has to sit right in the middle . Any light rough water is not safe .

I have been in a few 14ft boats and that was a big difference .
Normally if you travel out side the city to buy one you can get a used one for under $2000. with a trailer and 15 hp engine. buddy bought his for 1500 . life jackets and ever thing.
Old 06-16-2020, 08:21 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

http://www.princecraft.com/ca/en/pro...Ungava-12.aspx

200lbs dry weight no biggy to drag and lift into a truck bed....9.9...gas tank...seems doable…..would not fart around with a Jon boat...there are lots of used 12 footers out there that will meet your requirements....I remember on the island a trailer to get to a lake was just a reason to beat the crap out of your equipment....so smaller boat in the box etc was the way to go and I tell ya we fished/caught a lot going to that style.....good luck.

or even lighter....https://www.princecraft.com/ca/en/pr...sprite-12.aspx

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-16-2020, 08:49 AM

While Lesser Slave is often considered "big boat water", most people living on the lake keep a 12' tinner on the shore simply because they can be dragged up out of reach of the waves with relative ease.

My neighbor has an ancient 12' Naden that has survived several decades of this. Its had a pretty rough life, a few times a season the waves get high enough to throw crap in and plug up the drain hole, then it gets filled with water and sand and pounded by waves until it can be emptied out. Its been pounded by driftwood, and smashed up with ice. A few weeks back a big poplar log sailed in and smashed the outboard right off the back, it broke the outboard's mounting bracket but the boat survived. Its definitely showing its age at this point, but its amazing that boat is still in one piece for the amount of years its been taking this kind of punishment.

Last edited by Bushleague; 06-16-2020 at 08:57 AM.
Old 06-16-2020, 10:32 AM

I have the 12' Marlon. Use 9.9 Merc on it. Fun boat to run around in with one guy. 2 is still okay, but 3 people it's tough to get up on plane, and make sure you slow down slowly or you get the transom wave over the back.
I use it on a small quad trailer to go in and out of Lakeland PP. Easy for one guy to throw around loading/unloading.
Old 06-16-2020, 12:09 PM

I used to live in Slave Lake. A 12" tinner is NOT the right boat for that lake unless you have the luxury of going out only when it is dead calm. You can get out more on the west end than the east end with small boats due to prevailing winds. It does not take much wind to get waves big enough that you cannot run against or across them in a 12' with a 9.9. Getting blown onto shore no where near the launch sucks! Wab and Pigeon, most days it will work fine but stick with the V bottom version.
Old 06-16-2020, 01:26 PM

Some great feedback here gents. I really appreciate it all. To reply to a few comments:

-Sticking with the 12 ft for now. I have a little experience using a 12 ft boat, and much more using 14 and 15 ft boats. For what I'm looking for, the 12 ft will be best. I'm not looking for a boat needing a trailer right now, and I'd like something that is easy enough for me to prop up on the bed of my truck or top of my tent trailer.

- Certainly the 12 ft boat isn't ideal for the bigger waters (especially Slave), but I can accept there simply will be days I am unable to take it out, have to stick close to shore or protected areas, or simply cut the day short. In a few years I may look at a larger boat.

- I figure it'l probably be best as some mentioned with only myself in it, or doable with a couple individuals. The only time I really envision myself going with 3 people would be on calmer days and calmer smaller waters, such as fishing at Pigeon where I only need to putter out a couple hundred meters.

- I've decided to knock the Jon boat off the list. I'll be checking out a few of the posted V hulls if I can find any around. Under 200lbs for the boat, plus 100lb or less motor I can remove would be perfect.

Thanks again everyone, and keep the suggestions and wisdom coming if you have anymore.
Old 06-16-2020, 03:59 PM

One more quick question some of you more experienced boaters might be able to address - and a couple of you have already spoken to as well (thanks again). I'm picturing moving a 200lbs boat around by myself as a doable exercise. However, I have never actually tried loading/unloading or dragging such a boat without someone else with me. Some of the boats I've been looking at are 116-130lbs which sounds pretty dreamy, but I'm wondering if I would have regrets if I went with a boat in the 175-200lbs range?
Old 06-16-2020, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJalberta View Post
One more quick question some of you more experienced boaters might be able to address - and a couple of you have already spoken to as well (thanks again). I'm picturing moving a 200lbs boat around by myself as a doable exercise. However, I have never actually tried loading/unloading or dragging such a boat without someone else with me. Some of the boats I've been looking at are 116-130lbs which sounds pretty dreamy, but I'm wondering if I would have regrets if I went with a boat in the 175-200lbs range?
I used to have a 12 foot fiberglass trihull, just a cartopper. I put a 90 degree bracket on each side at the back and mounted I believe a 5 or 6 inch wheel on each. I could easily flip the boat and haul it by hand quite a ways by myself. Used to haul it on the roof of my old dodge car no problems other than a few scratches but then again it was just a dodge

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 06-16-2020, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I used to live in Slave Lake. A 12" tinner is NOT the right boat for that lake unless you have the luxury of going out only when it is dead calm. You can get out more on the west end than the east end with small boats due to prevailing winds. It does not take much wind to get waves big enough that you cannot run against or across them in a 12' with a 9.9. Getting blown onto shore no where near the launch sucks! Wab and Pigeon, most days it will work fine but stick with the V bottom version.
The whole south shore as well as Martin Beach are littered with 12' boats that get used regularly. Personally, I prefer my canoes. Of course when one lives on the lake they can pick their battles, if one came up here for a trip with a 12' boat they would need to be open to adjusting their plans according to the wind. There are plenty of other options in the area for a small boat when the lake gets too rough.

Having to make a run for shore with no boat launch around in a 12' boat is far better than being in the same position with a larger boat... or getting oneself in much bigger trouble by trying to make it back to the launch.

Last edited by Bushleague; 06-16-2020 at 06:01 PM.
Old 06-16-2020, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
The whole south shore as well as Martin Beach are littered with 12' boats that get used regularly. Personally, I prefer my canoes. Of course when one lives on the lake they can pick their battles, if one came up here for a trip with a 12' boat they would need to be open to adjusting their plans according to the wind. There are plenty of other options in the area for a small boat when the lake gets too rough.

Having to make a run for shore with no boat launch around in a 12' boat is far better than being in the same position with a larger boat... or getting oneself in much bigger trouble by trying to make it back to the launch.
No arguement. Definitely true that they work if u live there. In the years I was there however, I saw many weekends on end where they would not have worked much past the river mouth or the small bay at Canyon. I used to fish that lake pretty much every 2nd day from 4 pm till 1 or 2 in the morning from ice off the freeze up. More than 60 percent of those days a 12 foot thinner would not have survived outside the river mouth. More than once I rescued or towed people back that got into trouble on the east end.
Old 06-16-2020, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
No arguement. Definitely true that they work if u live there. In the years I was there however, I saw many weekends on end where they would not have worked much past the river mouth or the small bay at Canyon. I used to fish that lake pretty much every 2nd day from 4 pm till 1 or 2 in the morning from ice off the freeze up. More than 60 percent of those days a 12 foot thinner would not have survived outside the river mouth. More than once I rescued or towed people back that got into trouble on the east end.
That is all very true, but I have also seen plenty of weekends where a 16' boat has no business being out there either. And while an even bigger boat might be able to take it, one is generally going to have a better time putting in downstream of the weir and spending a day on the river anyways.

In the end, when it comes to LS its best to be flexible and have a backup plan regardless of what boat you have. Just my opinion.

I currently live in Widewater, having lived on the east end I think Widewater is one of the hardest pounded shores on the lake. Nobody even bothers with docks or boat lifts here, just about everything has been tried and the remains are smashed along the shore, regardless of wind direction the lake can throw up real big chop here. Sometimes I take my canoe out in the thick of things just to see if I can... some days people come out on their decks with a few beers and wait for me to drown but I haven't flipped yet... wouldn't be very enjoyable trying to fish though

Last edited by Bushleague; 06-16-2020 at 08:57 PM.
Old 06-16-2020, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
That is all very true, but I have also seen plenty of weekends where a 16' boat has no business being out there either. And while an even bigger boat might be able to take it, one is generally going to have a better time putting in downstream of the weir and spending a day on the river anyways.

In the end, when it comes to LS its best to be flexible and have a backup plan regardless of what boat you have. Just my opinion.
BL

AGREE. When l lived there I fished it in a 17 foot deep v Misty River and a 19 foot Warrior. Both were great rough water boats. Outside of days where there was lightning I never had a day we couldn't fish. We even had days were there were multiple water funnels on the lake and were able to fish. Slave is one tremendous fishery and it is also probably one of the most challenging lakes to navigate. I have tournament fished the Great lakes, fun fished great slave and most of the biggest lakes in North America and spent a lot of time on the ocean. I have also fished all over the world. What you learn boating on Lesser Slave will serve you well anywhere in the world. Anyone who fails to respect just how tough Slave Lake can be will not be happy with the lessons they are taught.
Old 06-17-2020, 09:25 AM

I know this isn't exactly what the OP was asking about, and its would end up costing far more than a used 12' tinner to purchase... but when I get rid of my big boat I'm getting a Grumman Sport Boat. At 122 lbs it can be cartopped real easy, with a 6-9 hp outboard on it its going to fly. It can easily fish 3, and most of all (for me) it can be efficiently rowed, or maneuvered a bit with a paddle while drifting. If the outboard is giving you trouble but the fish are biting no problem, plus, on back country trips one wouldn't have the constant concern of fuel supply governing you.

This is the boat here...https://marathonboat.com/index.php/p...noes/sportboat

And I would talk to these guys about ordering one... https://westerncanoekayak.com/brands/Grumman.html
Old 06-17-2020, 08:01 PM

not all 12 footers are the same find the boat with widest beam and a good depth big difference when the wind comes up. come in 48 inch beams up to 58 inch .
Old 06-17-2020, 09:11 PM

Another redneck tip....cut a couple 2x6's and lay them across the top of your box cross ways. Cut them so they stick out maybe 6 inches past your box instant boat rack. Strap down the 12 ft. Watch you don't smash your back window sliding it ahead...then open your tailgate and you will have full use of your truck box. Wrap the 2x6 in carpet if you are worried about scratching your truck. Works deadly and very easy to load unload. 15 horse 2 strokes are nice and light and go like a bat out of hell. As I said earlier 2 man fishing machine. 3 is a crowd unless it's a couple young ones on the middle bench. Fished alot of big rough water in the late fall and never batted an eye. She always got us back to the truck. Be smart when it's rough and keep the motor running so you don't get sideways when fighting a fish.etc.
Old 06-23-2020, 02:49 PM

Alright everyone, I really appreciate all the information! I ended up getting a 12' Alumacraft (60" wide). $2,300 new seemed like a pretty good price to me (but I'm new to purchasing boats). I loved the looks of the Marlon and Lund, but the price was right for the Alumacraft. Light enough to load onto a truck, but I always ended up getting a trailer (good-bye garage space). The trailer can hold unto a 16 ft boat, so it gives me room to upgrade in the future if I would want.

Will be putting a 45lb thrust Minn Kota for the parks and a 9.9 Merc for everything else.
Old 06-23-2020, 03:49 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

congrats on the new boat purchase....12' with a 9.9hp sounds about perfect!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-23-2020, 08:24 PM

Agree on getting a standard V hull. Better all around boat for a wider variety of conditions.

The standard small tinner will come with a 15" transom.

If you can bear a tiny bit more weight, I'd opt for a 20" transom and have a little more security on choppier water.

If you fish 3 guys on occasion, that 20" is a nice benefit.
Old 06-23-2020, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJalberta View Post
1 guy is doable.

I would peel down my 200lb tinner by myself without too much of an issue if I was fishing by myself. I had it set up with 2x6's strapped across my bed (as some suggested below) and it was never too bad.

As long as you don't have a bad back and are in reasonably good shape, this should be pretty easy. After all - all you are doing is sliding off, flipping it over and wiggling/dragging it down to where you want it (in the water then mount up the motor, load it up, etc..).

In terms of loading, I used to drop the tailgate, lift the (transom) edge up and rest it on the tailgate, jump into the box, standing behind the last rail, and pull it over the back cross member, then jump back down and slide/walk it back ..... not bad at all really.

with 2 guys, this is cake. Just lift it off and back on - easy.

You just have to flag it to make sure the RCMP doesn't stop you (ask me about this one .... lol)

A roof rack (so you could sling it over the cab would be even better - but back in those days, I was on a 2x4 and ratchet strap budget, not a Thule roller edge truck rack carrier type budget.

Last edited by EZM; 06-23-2020 at 08:45 PM.