Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-23-2020, 09:59 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathewsArcher View Post
Just back from Cold Lake. Fishing was great jigging lakers in 45-65 feet. 50-75 fish each day we got out with a number of fish over 80cm. One wind day where we fished walleye and found a couple of keepers and a few big perch. Best average size we have had for the last few years. Probably 1 in 30 was over 75.

Earliest we have gone and fishing was slower but still excellent. Cant wait till next year.
that's awesome....sounds like jigging is out performing the trolling for sure right now...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-23-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
that's awesome....sounds like jigging is out performing the trolling for sure right now...
IN many years of guiding lakers up north jigging always out fished trolling except on great bear .
Old 06-23-2020, 10:48 AM
Banned

If you guys don’t mind, what kind of setup do you use for jogging? I know when I was guiding up north we would use a big white buck tail jig rigged up with a stinger hook and an 8” smelt.
Old 06-23-2020, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
If you guys don’t mind, what kind of setup do you use for jogging? I know when I was guiding up north we would use a big white buck tail jig rigged up with a stinger hook and an 8” smelt.
well for jogging I like Nike shoes, tight 80's shorts and a wife beater type shirt to scare away any peterfiles….

TC Moto Lead Free Blue Krusher 1.4 oz. Total weight
5.5 inch Hyper Glow Tube (Glows Blue)
Blue Magnum Tinsel

TC Moto Lead Free Cotton Candy
Pink Magnum Glow: Top
Pink Glass: Belly
6.25 inch Magnum hyper max glow tube
2.1 oz. Total Weight (TW)

TC Moto Lead Free Chartreuse Glow, 1.4 oz. total weight
5.5. inch Hyper Glow Pickle Tube
Chartreuse Ice Glow Fibre

throw on a minnow too for scent.....

Old 06-23-2020, 01:39 PM

aaaand if this doesn't work I drop a #2 len Thompson down...glow...and reel up fast...slow....let fall....a couple jigs...still...bam fish on.....well not everytime

Old 06-23-2020, 01:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
well for jogging I like Nike shoes, tight 80's shorts and a wife beater type shirt to scare away any peterfiles….

TC Moto Lead Free Blue Krusher 1.4 oz. Total weight
5.5 inch Hyper Glow Tube (Glows Blue)
Blue Magnum Tinsel

TC Moto Lead Free Cotton Candy
Pink Magnum Glow: Top
Pink Glass: Belly
6.25 inch Magnum hyper max glow tube
2.1 oz. Total Weight (TW)

TC Moto Lead Free Chartreuse Glow, 1.4 oz. total weight
5.5. inch Hyper Glow Pickle Tube
Chartreuse Ice Glow Fibre

throw on a minnow too for scent.....

I’ll stop in and see you when I come up. Maybe after we go for a jog we can do some fishing???
Old 06-23-2020, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I’ll stop in and see you when I come up. Maybe after we go for a jog we can do some fishing???
an easy 10km then some fishing....actually I do also use bucktails too...but seems to be like ice fishing I always fart around too much if things are not working....when really I should change location...it's a toss up but what you mentioned works very well too according to some guys out here.

Old 06-23-2020, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Over the last several years i have found jigging to outperform trolling. With good electronics you can get on top of large groups of fish and have double, triple and quads on. Catch them and move on. Even 20 feet can put you on a new group of fish. Gibbs minnow and macks jigging minnows in 1.5 or 2 oz on med weight rods make for a great fight. Strangely never had much luck with white tube jigs or cold lake specuals in Cold lake.

I also guided Lakers out of northerm Mb and very rarely did anything but jig. Generally size was better avg jigging as well.
Old 06-23-2020, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Over the last several years i have found jigging to outperform trolling. With good electronics you can get on top of large groups of fish and have double, triple and quads on. Catch them and move on. Even 20 feet can put you on a new group of fish. Gibbs minnow and macks jigging minnows in 1.5 or 2 oz on med weight rods make for a great fight. Strangely never had much luck with white tube jigs or cold lake specuals in Cold lake.

I also guided Lakers out of northerm Mb and very rarely did anything but jig. Generally size was better avg jigging as well.
awesome...will give them jigging minnows a go...what colors? I find pink/white...blue/white...with tube jigs but what color combo with the gibbs jigs?

got me thinking too about buzz bombs....got a few from the west coast?

Old 06-23-2020, 04:00 PM

Blue/silver or black silver gibbs worked well. The only macks jigging minnows i have seen where white with reflective tape, worked just as well. Most ended up plain silver as the fish wore the paint off all of them. 1.5 oz fall nice and arent to much for a med wt rod. Only place i have found them was can tire in cold lake. Everyone else only carried 1, 2 and 3 oz.

Blue minnow shaped buzz bombs worked well to but I hate that you cant grab the hook when landing the fish at the side of the boat. Dont net a lot of them and cant grab the buzz bomb, just slides up the line.
Old 06-24-2020, 06:00 AM

Quote:

When trolling I guess no different then jigging I read my fish finder....find the bait balls...get marks off them then troll a figure 8 pattern in and around the bait ball....multiple double headers etc can be expected but I sit on the ice and jig all winter so kinda like to change things up....I will never sit idle though cuz I like catching.

Thanks for the feed back regarding colors to use...appreciate it.