Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-02-2020, 05:59 PM

Options are good!! I love options!
Old 06-03-2020, 10:07 PM

I would say 10" average is a stretch. Ive only ever been in there in july with full weed beds so last week was a bit different to navigate. Id say the average is 24". I got shallower then i wanted so trimmed all the way up and shut it off to drift across but the leg fin still hung up so i had to use an ore. Once i was inside fishing i watched another boat run closer to the west point no problem so i went thru there on the way out. No problems i never seen less than 2.5' on the graph.
Old 06-06-2020, 09:31 PM

My buddy and I love to fish but we don’t own a boat is there any place that you guys have gone to fish off the shore that you’ve been really successful? I’d appreciate it!
Old 06-07-2020, 08:09 AM

Around long bay has good access through the park, and a decent chance at pike...seen lots of guys there...also fishing the narrows at the island from shore will produce lakers, pike, and an occasional walleye...but its on the north side and access to the area without a boat is a bit of an adventure...
Old 06-07-2020, 08:34 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKJ View Post
My buddy and I love to fish but we don’t own a boat is there any place that you guys have gone to fish off the shore that you’ve been really successful? I’d appreciate it!
Welcome to the forum.....central bay, long bay or French bay.....I would just invest in a dingy....row out into the bay's and cast spoons....won't break the bank acoustic t and will get you out on the water.....kayak...canoe...too

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-07-2020, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Welcome to the forum.....central bay, long bay or French bay.....I would just invest in a dingy....row out into the bay's and cast spoons....won't break the bank acoustic t and will get you out on the water.....kayak...canoe...too
Thanks for the welcome! looking forward to trying out fishing in Cold Lake! I’ll definitely be investing in a boat just a little strapped atm though haha, always loved hitting the waters instead I find it very relaxing.

Thanks for trying to help a new guy on the forum! Wasn’t sure if I’d hear anything back so that’s awesome.
Old 06-11-2020, 05:57 AM

Thumbs up

Man what a poop show on the water....water levels increased dramatically....dock in French bay is partially underwater....bays produced two bites....then the little freaking storm cells came and went....ahhhh we went....cut it short as lakers was our next go....today maybe....lakes....

Oh and Smokey Buck I gave a few of your lures a go too....beautiful action they produce in the water but if the fish are finicky or not there.....my son was in the front using different lures etc and yup nadda....

Oh and the bay's really warmed up too so I suspect maybe the bigger fish are starting to move out....

Today will be lakers...

Old 06-12-2020, 05:58 AM

Wow the lake has some issues.....or I suck.....one laker yesterday as we putted aroumd 100 feet and up which is traditional for this time of year but man the Intake of water that the lake has taken on must have turned everything into a shutdown....going to have to change tactics more drastically....this time of year in previous years we were hooked up every 20 minutes give or take with multiple double headers....hmmmmmm....maybe they all buggered off to Pierce lake.....

Anyone else experiencing this after the rain we received?

Old 06-12-2020, 07:52 AM

Some buddies were up by the island a few days ago....picked up about 25 fish 2 over 30" all suspended in 30-40ft in less than 100ft of water. Drift jigging won over trolling they said.
Old 06-12-2020, 07:57 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Some buddies were up by the island a few days ago....picked up about 25 fish 2 over 30" all suspended in 30-40ft in less than 100ft of water. Drift jigging won over trolling they said.
ya that was my next tactic.....drift and jig.

Old 06-12-2020, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Man what a poop show on the water....water levels increased dramatically....dock in French bay is partially underwater....bays produced two bites....then the little freaking storm cells came and went....ahhhh we went....cut it short as lakers was our next go....today maybe....lakes....

Oh and Smokey Buck I gave a few of your lures a go too....beautiful action they produce in the water but if the fish are finicky or not there.....my son was in the front using different lures etc and yup nadda....

Oh and the bay's really warmed up too so I suspect maybe the bigger fish are starting to move out....

Today will be lakers...

Unfortunately no matter how pretty I can make a lure it won’t work if the fish don’t wanna to bite or cannot be found
Old 06-12-2020, 10:28 AM

Quote:
ya that was my next tactic.....drift and jig.
Was slow mid may in main lake, had good success drift jighing out from the creek flowing from in from the east side of French Bay using tube jigs. Once we hit around 80-120' of water there were lakers on sonar and just nailing those tubes.
Old 06-12-2020, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorne View Post
Was slow mid may in main lake, had good success drift jighing out from the creek flowing from in from the east side of French Bay using tube jigs. Once we hit around 80-120' of water there were lakers on sonar and just nailing those tubes.
ya you were there just before we got a lot of rain....should see the water level and the flow of water in/out of the lake but I am going to play with another tactic for sure...just ran out of time the other day.....MTF.

Old 06-14-2020, 09:55 AM

Question

Went out fishing couple days ago caught two Walleye which were keepers; but I noticed both were infested with worms, is this a common thing here in cold lake?
Old 06-14-2020, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Went out fishing couple days ago caught two Walleye which were keepers; but I noticed both were infested with worms, is this a common thing here in cold lake?
hmmm never had that issue...odd...

Old 06-14-2020, 02:32 PM

Ya I caught them in Marie so just a fair warning to check your fish if you go out there!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg E8F096F5-0F4F-418C-986F-BF6C5B1A39C7.jpg (16.9 KB, 135 views)
Old 06-14-2020, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Ya I caught them in Marie so just a fair warning to check your fish if you go out there!

I got buddies that camp out there seasonal...gonna have a chat with'em....maybe that's why they twitch and thier eyes vibrate....they got eye'worm

Old 06-15-2020, 09:37 AM

Lmaoo very punny; btw I used a baitcaster rod for the first time and my god the birds nest i got was insane I had no idea you had to set it to new settings for every lure you use! needless to say my lure went bye bye into the lake lol back to canadian tire i go!
Old 06-15-2020, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Lmaoo very punny; btw I used a baitcaster rod for the first time and my god the birds nest i got was insane I had no idea you had to set it to new settings for every lure you use! needless to say my lure went bye bye into the lake lol back to canadian tire i go!
Yup for large variances in weight you need to adjust so it drops smoothly during free spool or else you will likely get massive nests. Luckily only takes a second or two
Old 06-19-2020, 07:38 PM

Headed out for lakers finally , tomorrow looks good weather wise , what’s the good word on the trout ?
Old 06-20-2020, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorne View Post
I've fished there more than a few times in the winter and it's always stacked with bait. The first time I wandered over there I had to drop the camera down to see what was going on as I was certain the flasher was acting up with interference. Nope just bait and lots of it and it seems it's always like that.

Never been skunked there but the average size has generally been lower for us and I don't understand why.
Old 06-20-2020, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamprotz View Post
Headed out for lakers finally , tomorrow looks good weather wise , what’s the good word on the trout ?
Slowwwwwww......man the amount of water flowing in has things all buggered up....ohhhh well a day on the water is a good thing

Old 06-20-2020, 10:16 AM

Doin ok so far but someone really blew the wind forecast !!
Old 06-20-2020, 08:18 PM

Ended up with 14 landed 9 lost nothing over. Active fish were hanging on drop offs , 110-120ft Son had one chase and hit and he couldn’t move it. Of course hook pulled. I’ll be back
Old 06-20-2020, 10:33 PM

Awesome fishing the last two days. Lots of fish suspended and the majority of fish hooked where 25-45’ feet down. Also found a ton of fish in under 40’ of water so don’t hesitate to move out of the 80-100’ range as the shallow water is offering great fishing and jigging opportunities!!

Also just want to give a shout out to Kim and Evergreen Birch lodge. The tackle shop has a great selection and Kim is top notch! The accommodations are great as well.
Old 06-21-2020, 06:03 AM

Where is this tackle shop ?
Do they sell bait also ?
Old 06-21-2020, 07:39 AM

The tackle shop is on site at Evergreen Birch Lodge just west of town. And yes they have bait
Old 06-21-2020, 07:13 PM

Well lake is back to the norm for lakers

This was the hot lure of the day.....image.jpg

Hot spot Apex trolling lure 4" rainbow trout Color.....

Pink lady....willow leaf...3' of line to the lure....50' lure was at fishing in 100' of water up to 60'....

Oh and be careful out there as there was a lot of half submerged logs and debree....I gues with the heavy flow of water crap is getting dislodged from shore and is making its way out on the lake.

Old 06-21-2020, 07:41 PM

Beaver river could be coming over the hill. Calm and hot there today ?
Old 06-22-2020, 11:31 AM

Just back from Cold Lake. Fishing was great jigging lakers in 45-65 feet. 50-75 fish each day we got out with a number of fish over 80cm. One wind day where we fished walleye and found a couple of keepers and a few big perch. Best average size we have had for the last few years. Probably 1 in 30 was over 75.

Earliest we have gone and fishing was slower but still excellent. Cant wait till next year.