Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 11-21-2013, 09:54 PM

Default Porcupines!!!!!!!

I've found a few good sized porkys laying on the roads so far this winter. If you happen to come across any in your travels, out hunting or trapping, feel free to knock him on the head and send him my way! $$
Old 11-22-2013, 07:38 AM

What are you doing with them?
Old 11-22-2013, 12:28 PM
Banned

Ya whats up with people wanting porcupines this year? theres a bunch of adds on infomall asking for them. Indian art?
Old 11-25-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCCFisherman View Post
Ya whats up with people wanting porcupines this year? theres a bunch of adds on infomall asking for them. Indian art?
Porcupines are DELICIOUS!!!!

Pasties?! Yes! Ground meat? You got it! Charcuteirie Meat? Of course!

Need I go on?!!!

I am looking for them while Hare Hunting upcoming at all times. I am very excited to take some of these things to the crock pot as well.

We are talking a lovely red meat with its own thing going on. Could not be happier with it. I do wish I had some handy at the moment.

Last edited by "No Choke"Lord Walsingham; 11-25-2013 at 09:37 PM.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:20 PM

Y'all look up into the trees for these tasty beasts. They love to hide up in tree. You see, they move REAL slow and will take several days to check out the upper reaches of a partiular tree they're in.

Take a peek up yonder next time Folks.

Last edited by "No Choke"Lord Walsingham; 11-25-2013 at 09:29 PM.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger CS View Post
What are you doing with them?
Yup exactly as mentioned. The quills n hair are used in arts and crafts. I use as much as I can get a winter. Thanks.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:53 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvTheOutdoors View Post
Yup exactly as mentioned. The quills n hair are used in arts and crafts. I use as much as I can get a winter. Thanks.
You don't eat them
Old 11-29-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
You don't eat them
I do on my own fresh kills. But I ain't eating on in pick up off another guy 10 days old lol
Old 11-30-2013, 09:23 AM
Gone Hunting

Where did so many PETA members come from?

So what if someone kills a porcupine, there is a reason they are not a protected species.

Next some so called hunters will be telling me I should relocate the mice I trap in my house.

Geeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zz!!!!

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-22-2013, 04:07 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvTheOutdoors View Post
I've found a few good sized porkys laying on the roads so far this winter. If you happen to come across any in your travels, out hunting or trapping, feel free to knock him on the head and send him my way! $$
Dam i had just killed two the dog got into one and lost. And the other was killing my TREES! LOL. What would you pay for one and how would you D side what they're worth. Thanks
Old 11-22-2013, 05:56 PM

[QUOTE=Wild side targets;2207146]Dam i had just killed two the dog got into one and lost. And the other was killing my TREES! LOL. What would you pay for one and how would you D side what they're worth. Thanks[/QUOT

Well if uget anymore give me a ring. Lol. The price is depending on hair weight length n if its whole carcass or already plucked. Thanks.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:12 PM

Default Porcupines

Ok, I'm not trying to be the Internet police here but I do ponder the legalities of selling animals? A porky isn't a game animal, but its not a fur bearing animal either, so what really are the legalities? Anyone know?
Old 11-23-2013, 08:40 AM

Default Porky's

Damn, I already shot 2 this year & left em for the scavengers. The wife has seen another though cruising the yard. If I get him, you can have it. I am only 20 minutes from Bonnyville.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:22 AM
Gone Hunting

Porcupine are not a protected species.
In the hunting regulations it says you may hunt but not trap Porcupine.

The Alberta Wildlife Act calls selling of any part of an animal, trafficking.

Section 62 of the Alberta Wildlife Act says this;

Quote:
Trafficking in wildlife
62(1) A person shall not traffic in wildlife.
(2) A person shall not be in possession of wildlife for the purpose
of trafficking in wildlife.
(3) Subsections (1) and (2) do not
(a) apply if and to the extent that the trafficking or the
possession is specifically authorized by a permit
or is
authorized by or under the Livestock Industry
Diversification Act,
(b) apply if the trafficking or possession is reasonably
incidental to the operation of a fur farm in accordance
with the Fur Farms Act or is in accordance with the Meat
Inspection Act or the Meat Inspection Act (Canada), or
(c) prevent a person from acquiring wildlife from the Minister
under section 9.
(4) Each single act described in section 1(1)(gg)(i) or (ii) done in
relation to a wildlife animal constitutes a separate act of trafficking
in wildlife.
In other words; you may not sell any part of a wild animal unless you are authorized to do so by license or permit.

Since Porcupine are not classed as fur bearing, a trapping license would not allow the sale of any part of a Porcupine, and a trapping license is the only license I am aware of that would allow one to sell parts of a wild animal.

However, it may be possible to obtain a permit from F&W that would allow you to sell parts of wildlife, that is classed as a pest species.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-25-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Ok, I'm not trying to be the Internet police here but I do ponder the legalities of selling animals? A porky isn't a game animal, but its not a fur bearing animal either, so what really are the legalities? Anyone know?
Let us all embrace the Freedom. No need to ask why, they are fair game at all times. Most refreshing in this time of persecution of the Lawful Hunter.

If someone wants to pay for a quill, let them do it. Anti-wildlife selling Law is nothing more than something designed to keep us slaves*. Oh, of course there is that little thing of not extirpated species...

Yet if our Alberta PC Government continues to kill our Caribou for nothing more than china-bound Bitumen, may as well go gunning for some Porkies and ask no questions.

As for me?

I have personal use for more Porkies than I can shoot and I don't tend to take ones I don't. So m statements are Freedom based symbolism more than anything. I shall not provide anyone with Porcupines as I need them for myself.

Good Luck all!

* Sure, there is that little matter of our Elders, especially White Elders, eliminating our Bison heards and what not... Please do Harvest with caution, Ethics and RESPECT FOR GAME PERSUED.

*EDIT*

I appologise if I have made a shade too many posts. I was having site issues a bit and thought it best to submit my subsequent ideas as new posts. I am not accusing the owners of this site of any misdoing or for difficulties, They must simply be a comprehension issue on my end.

I thank you all for your patience on the matter.

Sincerely,

Good Ol' "No Choke"!

Last edited by "No Choke"Lord Walsingham; 11-25-2013 at 09:50 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:20 PM

Default porcupines

I used to live in the backwoods of Manitoba and the first thing the old timers taught their grandkids was that you don't kill porcupines as if you are lost in the bush with no rifle etc. they are the only animal you can easily kill and eat (raw if need be). I've seen these old timers give their kids a real hard time for even thinking of killing a porky.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:02 PM

Default Porkers

Yea, I'm against killing porcupines too. I think they are neat little creatures, if I had one eating my trees I'd probably haul him away to someone else's trees. I've shot them in the past but I really doubt I would again.

By the way a good way to harvest quills is to throw an old blanket over a porky and you'll get all you want...without harming it.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:28 PM

Sure, mutilating an animal by removing its ability to defend itself against Predators (it will take a significant amount of time for those quills to grow back) is such a lovely thing to do... I suppose you advocate for the de-clawing of cats to avoid furniture scracthes?

Transfering your own problem to a neighbour! Calgarychef, bravo, you are a real class act. Porcupines chew through brakelines too. Perhaps the ones you get will focus on that activity instead of harming your trees, yet I doubt there are many (if any) present in a major urban center such as Calgary. Of course, I could be off base on that one. Now the reasonable among us will continue to harvest Porcupine and have a fine time doing it.

Carry on!
Old 11-27-2013, 09:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamham View Post
I used to live in the backwoods of Manitoba and the first thing the old timers taught their grandkids was that you don't kill porcupines as if you are lost in the bush with no rifle etc. they are the only animal you can easily kill and eat (raw if need be). I've seen these old timers give their kids a real hard time for even thinking of killing a porky.
I was taught that as well but I also recall that porkies were illegal to kill in some provinces out east for that exact reason. I'm not sure if it still is though. I wouldn't shoot one out of a tree in the bush for no particular reason but if I was taking quills out of my dog on a farm I'd try to fix the problem.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:11 AM

Default Porkies

No choke the part about bringing the porkies to the neighbours was tongue in cheek. I guess you didn't get that, must not be able to understand from on top of your high horse. And by the way the blanket doesn't take ALL of the quills out and I'm sure the porky can still defend itself quite well. I don't know how you think bringing cats into the conversation makes any sense, but hey who am I to judge?

You want to kill porkies go ahead, I never said you shouldn't , I said I probably won't. Sheesh, take a pill.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
No choke the part about bringing the porkies to the neighbours was tongue in cheek. I guess you didn't get that, must not be able to understand from on top of your high horse. And by the way the blanket doesn't take ALL of the quills out and I'm sure the porky can still defend itself quite well. I don't know how you think bringing cats into the conversation makes any sense, but hey who am I to judge?

You want to kill porkies go ahead, I never said you shouldn't , I said I probably won't. Sheesh, take a pill.
I agree with Calgarychef here. You no what, I'm not saying you can't kill them, I just think it causes disrespect to the animal. Imagine you are walking around and doing something you always do (which may bug a neighbor in some way) and all of a sudden, BAM, there's a bullet in you?! Just doesn't seem fair to me, if your dog is having issues with it, relocate the animal.. But like I said, not saying you can't do it, just putting in my thoughts.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:59 PM

Flytrapper,

As per statements made by yourself in your thread "New Gun" I am aware you are interested in Hunting and are 14 years of age. As such, I understand why your statements here are what they are. If and when you harvest your first game animal, perhaps you will then understand how one can have great respect for and care deeply about an animal one Hunts. I wish you all the best in life and for many happy and safe years afield should you choose to step foot there in the future.

One bit of wisdom that I shall offer you concerning rural life is that relocating problem wildlife onto the property of a neighbour is not good, in fact it is a highly disreputable tact to take. If such an action were discovered, it may well lead to serious problems with said neighbour in the future. In short - this is highly unethical behaviour.

CalgaryChef,

I was operating under the auspices of you being a grown adult. I see I was off base on the matter. I too was having some fun in my reply to yourself and I get the intent of your prior post. The cat mention was a part of this as well as linked to the mutilation aspect as mentioned in doing so. None the less, stating you are "against" something implies you have a problem with others conducting said activity and believe such acivity should not occur and/or be illegal. This seems especially so when seperate mention is made of your own actions on the matter as demonstrated by your closing statement in your first post on this thread.

As you can see by reading the Forum Rules/Preamble there are many people of all ages (a high number of whom are children) whom read posts here on Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum. As such, I believe responsibility and Ethics should be highlighted at all times. FlyTrapper (a young urbanite with an interest in the Outdoors) seemed to believe what you stated as per relocation on to a neighbours property as actually reasonable where as you and I know perfectly well how terrible that is. Alas, we are not the only ones reading this Forum.

Your actions in this thread meet the definition of an internet troll to be sure -

"In Internet slang, a troll is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a forum, chat room, or blog), either accidentally or with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion."

It is clear that the intent of this thread as concieved by the Original Poster is to recieve Porcupine elements for craft purposes and as such is pro-Porcupine harvest. You may not care about the species as a game animal (yes, I know it is not regulated as a game animal in Alberta). On the other hand, one of my favourite things about Alberta is that they may be freely harvested, unlike in many other jurisdiction such as British Columbia. Perhaps you would be better served to relocate to such a jurisdiction. Same goes for others who wish to besmirch Porcupine harvest.

It is a rarified interest for the most part and I am very exciting to read a thread on the topic. Hopefully this thread and others like it will be left alone in the future to proceed pleasantly.

Last edited by "No Choke"Lord Walsingham; 11-29-2013 at 12:26 AM.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:31 PM
Banned

Default celebrity porky

for the last 3 weeks iv'e been checking up on this big fellow. he hasn't moved from the trees near the road and the first time i saw him i was tempted to harvest him to try the meat, get the gaurd hair and bleach the skull. decided not to. a local lady stopped on the road when i was taking the pic. and said he's been around for awhile. 2 days ago as i was driving by to check on him i saw a school bus stop on the road and i'm sure the kids were waving at him.
the amount of bark he's eaten of the large trees around him is mind boggling. he is a tree stripping machine. i'm going to miss him when someone does decide to shoot him. seen a lot of porkys this year coyote hunting but really don't have the urge to shoot one.
another thing i noticed about this guy is that he is very light colored (almost golden) and he is not missing many quills off his back like you ussually see. so far he's living a charmed life. (knock on wood).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg porky2.jpg (36.3 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by waterninja; 02-27-2014 at 12:37 PM.