Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-28-2023, 02:42 PM

Default Beautiful afternoon home home on the range!

Have to admit was in Mexico for Most of October and the weather reports i was getting from my son did noothing to encourage me to come back to face winter but man what a surprize to have this mild November.
Procrastinated on sighting in a Brno ZKK 600 in .223 for over a year from purchase as I wanted a great not just OK scope on it. About 6 months ago i found a 4.5-14 VX-L and put the 2 together for a future sighting in. I was in no real hurry as I already had a similar scope on the exact rifle but those Brnos are getting hard to find and this one had exceptional wood so the "beaver" in me made me put it away for future consideration or that is at least the excuse I used to buy them.

Fast forward to September 2023 and although I need another gopher rifle like another hole in my head I have been curious about the 17 HMR for years and since my T1X .22 is so accurate I decided the Northpro sale was reason enough to buy this calibre. Low and behold a VX1 comes up for sale a week later at Extreme Range and my buddy from Saskatoon is coming through Calgary this week. In a perfect storm Cabelas black Friday sale has T1X integrated Talley rings as well as 17 HMR ammo which has doubled in price since I sold it at wholesale for 12 -$15. for 50 rounds in 2012. Got the T1X 17 together with scope yesterday and with 10 degrees really couldnt think of another reason not to sight both in. After about 10 rounds in the field both llamas came in to see what all the noise was about. I hadnt noticed as Cabelas also had Walker Razor electronic muffs for sale with free shipping.

Both rifles are shooting well and the scopes tracking perfectly at 50 yards and we will move to the 100 yard bench rest for fine tuning the next time we have some great weather.
Old 11-28-2023, 02:54 PM

Bought a .17 HMR a few years back. Also a few bricks of ammo, thank goodness! Don't think I have even brought the 22's with me since the first year!! 150 to 200 yard gophers all day long!! Real fun rifle!!
Old 11-28-2023, 03:34 PM

I haven't shot a ground squirrel with anything but a.17 in many years. I use the 17hmr out to about 150 yards, and from then on out, I use the 17hornet. The last 17hmr ammunition that I purchased was a few years ago, when Prophet River had some on for $17/box, and I stocked up , buying several cases. My rifles are a pair of Cooper Montana Varminters with laminated stocks, and both are very accurate.
Old 11-28-2023, 03:50 PM

Sounds like fun. Perfect weather for range work.

While we’re on the subject of 17 HMR….Anyone remember when the 17 hmr neck splitting issue was resolved? Had some “fun” with that over the summer, really old ammo. Supposedly they figured out how to anneal with primer compound in the case. Dont remember what year that was though?
Old 11-28-2023, 04:18 PM

Default Yes longer range gophers

Also heard f & w has used them for close range coyotes with 20 grain bullets. Little more expensize but i have seen the amount of richochet from .22 lr so wanted something a little more frangible. Ordered both 17 grain and 20 grain bullets to play with in the coming months
Old 11-28-2023, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
Also heard f & w has used them for close range coyotes with 20 grain bullets. Little more expensize but i have seen the amount of richochet from .22 lr so wanted something a little more frangible. Ordered both 17 grain and 20 grain bullets to play with in the coming months
I killed three coyotes with the 17gr bullets, at distances from 100 to 150 yards, with my cheap break action single shot, while running my dog.
Old 11-28-2023, 09:25 PM

As others have stated the .17HMR is far superior to the .22 rimfire. I have a couple and the .22's are gathering dust. Yes ammo is more expensive but when you nail that 200+yard gopher it is worth it, plus the likely hood of walking wounded is near zero unlike the 22.

My rifles are both scoped with 4-16 power scopes but I find they sit on 10X most, if not all the time. You will have fun, enjoy.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 11-28-2023, 09:36 PM

New toy so more shells, spare magazines ordered today. Oddly enough i do have a 22 mag that sits on the shelf with lots of ammo that will do similar distance to the 17 hmr but those bullets are not frangible either.
Old 11-29-2023, 04:40 AM

There is nothing like the 17 HMR for gophers, just rips them, I have a Christensen arms ranger 22 that is sweet and shoots lights out that I use for gophers also but probably put 3 times as many rounds through the 17 HMR than the 22, the fun factor is way better.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 11-29-2023, 08:48 AM

Congrats on the new Tikka, I love my MTR in 22LR, though it's never been out there on gopher duty.

I've shot hundreds of gophers with 17HMR and thousands with 22LR (high velocity HPs). As a person who has to travel to AB to shoot them, economy is high on the priority list. When #s are high, I'll always use the 22. When they're not, I always wish I had the 17HMR with me for all the obvious reasons. It might be the perfect gopher caliber, cost being the growing concern recently.

Should the day come where I can convince the Mrs to move out there, I would LOVE to be able to take my 204 Varmint out to warm it up every once in a while. I've shot them with a .223 loaded with 55gr. V-Max. ka-BOOM! Gophers loved that combo. lol
Old 11-29-2023, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
New toy so more shells, spare magazines ordered today. Oddly enough i do have a 22 mag that sits on the shelf with lots of ammo that will do similar distance to the 17 hmr but those bullets are not frangible either.
Not a big fan of the .22 mag ricochets are much more frequent and they don't buck the wind as well plus more walking wounded. And ammo is expensive.

The .204 is totally awesome, 350 yards is a cake walk and the gophers are DRT.
Old 11-29-2023, 08:54 PM

Default Yes a 204 is on my radar

Biggest advantage is reloadable. Had one lined up a few months ago but we just couldnt come to terms.
Old 11-29-2023, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
Not a big fan of the .22 mag ricochets are much more frequent and they don't buck the wind as well plus more walking wounded. And ammo is expensive.

The .204 is totally awesome, 350 yards is a cake walk and the gophers are DRT.
I use a 20 Tactical for coyotes, but it heats up too quick for high volume shooting. The 17 Hornet burns less than half the powder and doesn't heat up nearly as quickly. I also had a 17Fireball, it heats up quicker than the 17Hornet, but not as fast as the 20Tactical.
Old 11-30-2023, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I use a 20 Tactical for coyotes, but it heats up too quick for high volume shooting. The 17 Hornet burns less than half the powder and doesn't heat up nearly as quickly. I also had a 17Fireball, it heats up quicker than the 17Hornet, but not as fast as the 20Tactical.
Never tried the Tactical, DO love my .17 Hornet, biggest problem is feeding but I got a single feed ramp from Calhoon it is awesome. the .22 Hornet is ok but not my first choice.
Old 11-30-2023, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
Never tried the Tactical, DO love my .17 Hornet, biggest problem is feeding but I got a single feed ramp from Calhoon it is awesome. the .22 Hornet is ok but not my first choice.
The tactical has a pushed back shoulder, and a bit longer neck, and ballistics very similar to the 204R. I am using Dakota stamped brass made by Lapua .My 17Hornet is a single shot Cooper, which I don't mind at all for long range ground squirrels.