Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-03-2015, 09:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringer View Post
Sorry to break to you buddy but you or I don't have any hunting rights.
The First Nations do.
So if it came down to it they'll still be hunting long after you and I lose our privilege to hunt.
If anyone is going to loose anything here with all this complaining it's going to be you and I.
I disagree.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerguy View Post
I disagree.
Like it or not, stringer is correct. Natives have a right to hunt, we have a privilege and that privilege is at great risk with this new government.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:49 AM

Quote:
The First Nations do.
So if it came down to it they'll still be hunting long after you and I lose our privilege to hunt.
If anyone is going to loose anything here with all this complaining it's going to be you and I.
Long After?? ... Sorry to Break it to you... they would annihilate every living animal. they hunt all year round. it wouldn't take long and there wouldn't be any animals left to hunt...how many animal do you see on a reserve, other than dogs and horses.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:
The First Nations do.
Sorry to break it to you, but if our "privelage" was ever lost, and as long as the Indians could still hunt, I will also be doing the same

The above scenario is extremely unlikely to ever happen, can you just imagine the chitstorm if it was even considered. Would be epic

Actually it was all the complaining of the Indian harvest of bulls last year that resulted in a bull draw for license purchasers this year.......

And I'm flattered to be thought of as your "buddy". Do I know you?
Old 11-03-2015, 10:04 AM

Default Hmm

I'm not sure those that feel passionate about hunting will discontinue their heritage as Canadian hunters just because a new government or specialty group makes it illegal.
Maybe that type of move would motivate hunters to combine their efforts in support of good science and the hunting tradition.
I am skeptical, but hopeful.
This thread got awful Racey in a hurry, so there appears to still be enough passion to fix this mess, maybe.
I am a bit curious if the powers controlling this cull were not fully aware that they were setting up FN people? Maybe that's a tin foil hat approach, but who here could not see how this would go down.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmy300 View Post
Long After?? ... Sorry to Break it to you... they would annihilate every living animal. they hunt all year round. it wouldn't take long and there wouldn't be any animals left to hunt...how many animal do you see on a reserve, other than dogs and horses.
We're talking about the suffield base elk cull are we not.
And yes they could shut down the base and just allow First Nations in to do the culling.
As for your your anti First Nation talking points here are the facts.
First off there is plenty off game on the reserves.
MOST First Nations living on the reserves hunt on the reserves.
First Nations not living on the reserve need councils approval or be accompanied by someone living on the reserve in order to hunt or fish.
That's why MOST First Nations not living on reserves don't hunt there.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:22 AM

Quote:
And yes they could shut down the base and just allow First Nations in to do the culling.
How did that work out the first time they tried that?
Old 11-03-2015, 11:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Sorry to break it to you, but if our "privelage" was ever lost, and as long as the Indians could still hunt, I will also be doing the same

The above scenario is extremely unlikely to ever happen, can you just imagine the chitstorm if it was even considered. Would be epic

Actually it was all the complaining of the Indian harvest of bulls last year that resulted in a bull draw for license purchasers this year.......

And I'm flattered to be thought of as your "buddy". Do I know you?
I don't think so.
Talking to my dog and typing at the same time isn't such a good idea.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:29 AM

Default Good

Well that's good to hear FN sees the importance of conservation on its reserve lands.
I've also spent significant time on reserves and have to agree that wildlife seems rare, could be plenty of reasons for that I suspect. There are slob hunters on both sides of the fence, unfortunately repercussions are based solely on race, and that's why so much frustration surrounds this hot topic,
Or so I figure.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
How did that work out the first time they tried that?
My point being that the only reason we are allowed to hunt on the base is that CFBS was considering inviting theFirst Nations in to cull the elk as it is Federial land.
They then decided to let residents in on a draw bases.
So you can thank the First Nations for the opportunity to hunt the base.
If your complaining results in First Nations being disinvited you could bet your last dollar the CFBS hunt is history.
Like the old saying goes be careful what you wish for..
Old 11-03-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
Well that's good to hear FN sees the importance of conservation on its reserve lands.
I've also spent significant time on reserves and have to agree that wildlife seems rare, could be plenty of reasons for that I suspect. There are slob hunters on both sides of the fence, unfortunately repercussions are based solely on race, and that's why so much frustration surrounds this hot topic,
Or so I figure.
Drvng through Morley rarely do you see any game animals. Hobbema is another that come to mind where there are very few animals. I'm sure it's due to all the non FN hunters that sneak on to pillage the areas...
Old 11-03-2015, 12:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
My point being that the only reason we are allowed to hunt on the base is that CFBS was considering inviting theFirst Nations in to cull the elk as it is Federial land.
They then decided to let residents in on a draw bases.
So you can thank the First Nations for the opportunity to hunt the base.
If your complaining results in First Nations being disinvited you could bet your last dollar the CFBS hunt is history.
Like the old saying goes be careful what you wish for..
All crown land is federal land too... If the fn guys were trying to cull the herd they would be shooting the cows and not the Bulls... By blasting only wall hangers, they are not even denting the herd numbers come this spring... All those cows are already bred and going to all have calves. The fn guys could have been used as a fantastic tool for conservation by eliminating the breeding stock.. Not hammering a box full of trophies... Apparently someone never told them that

Just my opinion
Old 11-03-2015, 12:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don K View Post
Drvng through Morley rarely do you see any game animals. Hobbema is another that come to mind where there are very few animals. I'm sure it's due to all the non FN hunters that sneak on to pillage the areas...
I know a lot off road hunters that say the same thing regardless of where they hunt.
Didn't see anything driving around so I guess there's no game here..
Old 11-03-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
I know a lot off road hunters that say the same thing regardless of where they hunt.
Didn't see anything driving around so I guess there's no game here..
Fair enough, maybe there's animals on those reserves away from the roads. I've only driven through. Horrible assumption to make...
Old 11-03-2015, 12:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
All crown land is federal land too... If the fn guys were trying to cull the herd they would be shooting the cows and not the Bulls... By blasting only wall hangers, they are not even denting the herd numbers come this spring... All those cows are already bred and going to all have calves. The fn guys could have been used as a fantastic tool for conservation by eliminating the breeding stock.. Not hammering a box full of trophies... Apparently someone never told them that

Just my opinion
Read this you might learn something.
http://bowhunters.ca/uploads/Points_..._elk_hunts.pdf
Old 11-03-2015, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Basically they didn't shoot 400 bulls in a week, it actually took them all 8 to get that many. They knew it would happen but there was nothing really that could be done.

The rest is just "THERE ARE TOO MANY ELK ON THE BASE" which is common knowledge.
Old 11-03-2015, 01:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
This would have been good info for everyone to see before they made their draw selections.. Never seen or heard of this before
Old 11-03-2015, 01:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
This would have been good info for everyone to see before they made their draw selections.. Never seen or heard of this before
If people really want to know what's happening it's not that hard to stay informed
But as we can see it's much easier to jump on the anti First Nations band wagon.
Old 11-03-2015, 02:38 PM

Quote:
If people really want to know what's happening it's not that hard to stay informed
But as we can see it's much easier to jump on the anti First Nations band wagon.
Its too bad this wasnt posted on the front end of this thread,maybe there wouldnt have been so many negative comments about this cull.

We are lucky to have this oppourtunity and I for one dont want to see it gone just cause some feel more entitled than others.I hunt for the meat as I'm sure a lot of others do as well.If it comes easier because of the the Suffield cull I'm fine with that,If anybody is not than dont put in for the draw.
Old 11-03-2015, 03:06 PM

Default Fair

Fair enough I suppose, but Being a hunter is different from being a grocery getter, but like you indicate, the 3 day base hunt is more about groceries, or so it was supposed to be. A lot of Horn soup is making its way out!
Old 11-03-2015, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseelk View Post
Its too bad this wasnt posted on the front end of this thread,maybe there wouldnt have been so many negative comments about this cull.

We are lucky to have this oppourtunity and I for one dont want to see it gone just cause some feel more entitled than others.I hunt for the meat as I'm sure a lot of others do as well.If it comes easier because of the the Suffield cull I'm fine with that,If anybody is not than dont put in for the draw.
People don't blow 14 years on a grocery tag over three days. This is a horn hunt for those that do. Pretty silly statement you can get a cow elk tag every year in lots of zones.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trouty View Post
People don't blow 14 years on a grocery tag over three days. This is a horn hunt for those that do. Pretty silly statement you can get a cow elk tag every year in lots of zones.
What is silly about it?Who told them to blow a 14yr tag on a 4 day cull? This is not a hunt Its herd management.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseelk View Post
What is silly about it?Who told them to blow a 14yr tag on a 4 day cull? This is not a hunt Its herd management.
Cause it's a bull tag bud not a two cow tag cull.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trouty View Post
Cause it's a bull tag bud not a two cow tag cull.
It was his choice to burn it on a 4day cull bud.
Whats silly is you seem to have this cull confused with an actual hunt ,it is not.

Last edited by pseelk; 11-03-2015 at 09:36 PM.