Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

View Poll Results: How much would you pay for this service?
No thanks 22 51.16%
$10 14 32.56%
$20 7 16.28%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-26-2007, 09:55 PM
Banned

Default Hunters for the hungry

How much would you support a extra fee on our Wildlife certificate in order to run a Food bank drop off service for extra animals?

Last edited by Jamie; 06-26-2007 at 10:01 PM.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:09 PM
Winchester70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
How much would you support a extra fee on our Wildlife certificate in order to run a Food bank drop off service for extra animals?
Call me dense but I have no idea what you're talking aboot eh"?

What's this food bank drop off for extra animals??
Old 06-26-2007, 10:14 PM
Banned

OK, it is a program that allows hunters to give there game to the food bank.
With all the tags that are available, a person would have a very hard time trying to eat/give away all that meat.
It allows us to give good quality meat away to the less fortunate.

I would like to see a program that is province wide with plenty of strategically placed drop of points that are complete with freezers of some sort.

Once the meat is picked up it would be taken to a butcher shop and reduced down to Hamburger.

Food bank picks it up and makes good soup and burgers out of it for the homeless.

The fact is, we have to many deer in parts of Alberta and we need to pick up some of the slack.
I also would like to see this program applied to Migratory birds as well.
Jamie
Old 06-26-2007, 10:18 PM

Quote:
I also would like to see this program applied to Migratory birds as well.
Jamie
Jamie.....The program is called "FEEDING" the hungry.....with the way you kill migratory birds the hungry would get hungrier......

I'm a big supporter of the food bank idea. More-so with the big game than anything....
Old 06-26-2007, 10:21 PM

I believe there are a number of states in the USA that run programs like this. Any idea how they operate? Great idea by the way.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:24 PM
Banned

Yes, I know I am challenged in the bird department. But that doesnt stop me from looking the part.
I have bought 3 shotguns in past 2 years
I have 6 Doz decoys
I have a crappy blind, but plan on getting a new one this year
I have a dog
I can shoot.. (I think)

I just cant find the birds!!
Stupid STUPID birds.

But this year will be different
Think DEATH FROM BELOW!!!!
And if that doesnt work I am going with a guide and getting some help.

Jamie
Old 06-26-2007, 10:27 PM
Winchester70

Thanks for the info Jamie...heh..sounds like a good concept.

But if I have extra meat that means I have extra expences,tags/gas etc.

So why would I pay extra to give meat away that cost me $$$ to get in the first place?

I gotta vote no on the extra fees...sorry man..
Old 06-26-2007, 10:30 PM
Banned

Winchester. I guess I am refering to the fact a guy can get up to 6 deer tags in some zones.

Jamie
Old 06-26-2007, 10:38 PM
-NDN-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
Jamie.....The program is called "FEEDING" the hungry.....with the way you kill migratory birds the hungry would get hungrier......

id support it, as long as its legit and 100% of the funds when str8 to the program
Old 06-26-2007, 10:45 PM

Quote:
But if I have extra meat that means I have extra expences,tags/gas etc.

So why would I pay extra to give meat away that cost me $$$ to get in the first place?
As with all programs there is a cost to make things run. I think Jamie is looking for feedback on whether hunters would contribute to a program like this to help it function. If money from hunters isn't the answer - what would other possible sources be?
Old 06-26-2007, 10:45 PM
Winchester70

Quote:
Winchester. I guess I am refering to the fact a guy can get up to 6 deer tags in some zones.

Jamie
Yes that may be but I'm past the stage of shooting deer just because I can.

I've had good years where I tagged a moose and an elk,that's more meat than we can eat in nine months.Why continue to hunt after your freezer is full?

I don't get it??
Old 06-26-2007, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Why continue to hunt after your freezer is full?
To help SRD with the culls in CWD areas, or in non CWD zones where there are surplus tags being issued. Or just to help a program like this out.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:00 PM
Winchester70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duk Dog View Post
To help SRD with the culls in CWD areas, or in non CWD zones where there are surplus tags being issued. Or just to help a program like this out.
Ok..that's a good point.

But I still wouldn't want to pay extra for it..

I donate money every year to good causes...Why?

Because I want to..but...It shouldn't be forced on us.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:06 PM

Quote:
But I still wouldn't want to pay extra for it..

I donate money every year to good causes...Why?

Because I want to..but...It shouldn't be forced on us.
Fair enough. Any other suggestions on how to fund a worth while program like this?
Old 06-26-2007, 11:16 PM
Winchester70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duk Dog View Post
Fair enough. Any other suggestions on how to fund a worth while program like this?
Well...the homeless could buy one less dozen beer a year and they could pay for it..Think about it...for the price of "ONE" beer per month they could get free food.

Sounds like a good deal to me..
Old 06-26-2007, 11:31 PM
Banned

Ok, but what do we do with all the deer that need to be taken out?? Leave them to rot? or put them to use?

I like the optics on this from a PR point of view. It would help put us as a group into a favorable light with all the do gooders in the big citys.

Jamie
Old 06-26-2007, 11:39 PM
Winchester70

Quote:

I like the optics on this from a PR point of view. It would help put us as a group into a favorable light with all the do gooders in the big citys.

Jamie
It will never happen..

The so called "do gooders" in the city are set in thier ways and will always view hunters as blood thirsty rednecks....*sigh*
Old 06-27-2007, 01:31 AM
Banned

Default Feel Free

I think it's great if you want to give to charities, but when you start forcing it on people it becomes a tax. I think we pay way too much in taxes as it is in this country right now.

Just my 2 cents.

Edit: I think hunters have a pretty good image as it stands right now with most people. There will always be 2 or 3% of the population that thinks killing bambi is evil no matter what we do.

Last edited by rugatika; 06-27-2007 at 01:34 AM. Reason: adding comment
Old 06-27-2007, 02:01 AM
Winchester70

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post

Edit: I think hunters have a pretty good image as it stands right now with most people. There will always be 2 or 3% of the population that thinks killing bambi is evil no matter what we do.
Holy smokes man..You must live in a small town..

But I think the odds are a lot higher than that overall...
Old 06-27-2007, 06:08 AM

They have had this program in effect for a number of years now. They even have a trailer set up at CFB Wainwright for the hunts there.
They only take chest or head shots, and only licenced butchers participate.
See page 74 of last years regulation synopsis.

There are no absolutes
Old 06-27-2007, 06:40 AM

Default hungry people

i do some shows down in new york and they have this program that you can donate the meat to butchers, works real good , over there there is so many deer that they get just about as many tags as they want, there all bow hunters so they can hunt as long as theres tags and once there full they can still donate to a good cause, best of both worlds, as long as the meat was being used i would deffintly go and hunt for the hungry.if tags permitted it.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:50 AM

Sorry man but why should I foot the bill for everything? I think if I'm covering the costs of killing the critter someone else could care enough to do the rest.
Another point is there needs to be a more efficient agency running it than the Government. Those idiots would cost so much that we could feed the homeless rib steak cheaper in the end.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:17 AM
Banned

Dick, I know they have had it going for a few years now. I just want to see it expanded and utilized. I was able to donate to the food bank last winter in Camp Wain. Also isnt there something there about not being able to donate from Southern Alberta??

Jamie
Old 06-27-2007, 11:04 AM
-NDN-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchester70 View Post
Well...the homeless could buy one less dozen beer a year and they could pay for it..Think about it...for the price of "ONE" beer per month they could get free food.

Sounds like a good deal to me..

you know, your right, although maybe not to have them pay for it. But........... some street people had no choice, but there are some that actually prefer to live on the street.

the wife works as an assistant manager to a 7-11, and they get homeless trying to steal food, coffees, but some exchange special coins for something to eat in trade. She speaks to some and some say they prefer to be homeless. Some homeless actually have a bank account with alot of money, and some street people that ruined thier life with drugs, and cant get out.

But you know what i think? there is alot of places where they can get a shower and a haircut, some clean clothes through charity, and a whole crapload of temporary agencies that will put them out in the work force, and start building a resume. I dunno, maybe i just dont know what im talking about, but sounds good typing it
Old 06-27-2007, 06:56 PM

What are there no work houses, are there no prisons?

I have seen the way the food bank works, many who use it have no need for it. I would much rather feed the poor a meal and show them how to hunt for their own food.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:12 PM
Gamehunter

[

Last edited by Gamehunter; 07-22-2007 at 07:27 PM.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:32 PM

Well I am not rich, all my weapons are old, and I use Walmart shells but I still hunt. Hmmm I saw the poor smoking cancer sticks and drinking booze, true they are poor but, they do have enough money for bad habits.

Now to be more serious....I give my deer meat to families I know who need the food and they except it. Thier happy and I am happy. But I usually only take 3 deer and two of them I keep for myself.

Oh I don't want to pay more than I do now for tags, since it cost me a pile of money to hunt then give a deer or two away. This is doing my part and others do this as well.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:51 PM
Gamehunter

"e

Last edited by Gamehunter; 07-22-2007 at 07:28 PM.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:41 PM

Default food bank

I for one would donate some money into the cause. Yes there has been a trailer at the base hunt but that costs money and man power to run. Let alone butcher costs. Another problem is the shape of the carcesses are when they donated, if you donate a shot up deer or do not field dress it proper that still cost money and time.

If the porgram doesn't run this year at the base or in 234...will the targeted amount deer be harvested? I doubt it. Then it will be out of the hunters hands.

Finding a home for the meat is a huge problem.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:21 PM

Excellent idea Jaime but why do you have to re-invent the wheel. We have existing agencies that provide this services like the Salvation Army & Mustard Seeds and others. Have you approach this organizations and discuss your idea, maybe they can be the stagging area.

Just my 2 cents.
hrlakay