Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-26-2007, 10:01 AM

Default In Need Of Some HELP!!

Not to sure what to do..... went out onto the deck last night and came face to face with a SKUNK, I looked at him, he look at me.......good thing he turned and ran. The problem is he ran under MY deck!!
Does anyone know the proceedure for getting rid of a skunk?
Any help guys??
Thanks
Dave
Old 06-26-2007, 10:05 AM
Gone Hunting

Default skunk

a garbage can, a 1X6 or similar ramp to the top of the can. Canned cat food in the garbage can.
skunk will walk the plank, drop into the garbage can.
Put the lid on the can, in the truck and off to the mother inlaws or similar place to dispose of the skunk.

This way you won't get sprayed. I've caught lots that way in the city where I couldn't snare or trap, for ADC complaints.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:10 AM
sheephunter

I caught one one time in a 220 conibear. I put a can of sardines in the back of a 5-gallon pail that was lying on it's side and put the trap at the mouth of the pail. The skunk was very dead and didn't spray but I got the brilliant idea to skin it out. Things were going great but rather than just cut the tail off and deal with it later, I firmly grabbed it at the base and tried to pull it off the bone like you do with other furbearers. Well, as I tightened my grip, I expressed the scent gland and you can guess the rest. I'm guessing I'm one of the few people that has been sprayed by a dead skunk.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:32 AM

LOL now that is funny Sheep.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:34 AM
50BMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
I caught one one time in a 220 conibear. I put a can of sardines in the back of a 5-gallon pail that was lying on it's side and put the trap at the mouth of the pail. The skunk was very dead and didn't spray but I got the brilliant idea to skin it out. Things were going great but rather than just cut the tail off and deal with it later, I firmly grabbed it at the base and tried to pull it off the bone like you do with other furbearers. Well, as I tightened my grip, I expressed the scent gland and you can guess the rest. I'm guessing I'm one of the few people that has been sprayed by a dead skunk.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:35 AM
sheephunter

My mom didn't really see the humour. She still talks about that today and it happened over 25 years ago.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:39 AM

Default trap from county

We can get trap from the local county or buy your own we did from a place south of high river lots borrow it for skunks cats and coons.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:45 AM

Scatter some mothballs and rags soaked with household ammonia around your deck late at night when he'll be out wandering around. Most mammals are reppelled by the smell.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:30 PM
s_buffalo

I don't know if it works on skunks, but I used to get the 'coons off my deck by using blood meal fertilizer... They don't like the smell...

Stinky
Old 06-26-2007, 04:07 PM
Gone Hunting

Hey, sheeps post brings back memories. I remember one time when i was young, ol dad had about 6 beavers leaned up against the side of the skinning shack to dry. He woke up to go to work one morning and his beavers were tore to shreds on the stretchers. Mad doesnt even come close to putting words on this one. He grabbed a garbage can, and staked her into place with a couple rebar stakes{one on each side}, and set a 330 in the entrance. Beaver carcass was the bait. The next morning he was up and checked her before daylight. He had trapped the neighbors german shephard dog. He still talks {laughs} about whackin the neighbors beaver hide wreckin dog. Needless to say, they never did find their dog.

keep a strain on er.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:06 PM

Short Round is right. Camphor (sp?) or moth balls work just fine as long as you just want him to go away and don't care where. You don't even have to wait till late at night - spread them around and the skunk will leave.

Gerry
Old 06-26-2007, 10:42 PM

Hey Pack, I once had a "friend" who caught his neighbour's dog in a 220 'coon set. My, er, HIS Dad nearly dropped a load in his pants! Lesson learned, and needless to say, the body was never found, and I went back to catching our pet cats!

How's this one? Back in university, I was finishing off a paper at 2 in the morning when I heard a commotion at the back door. It sounded like two tom cats going at it. I grabbed the nearest weapon (the broom) and jumped out the door to wack 'em (light off)!

Turns out it was two skunks having it out! Ughhh! They made me sleep in the barn for the next two nights! I still have nightmares about tomato juice!

Tree
Old 06-26-2007, 10:42 PM
-NDN-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post

Oh man, YOU GOT OWNED!!!

i think a nice simple arrow from front to back would do it, unless you want to just transplant it
to a different area
Old 06-28-2007, 05:36 AM
Gone Hunting

I just built a box type live trap to remove "Peppie Le Pu" from our place. We just about had a huge wreck a few days ago. Do to a series of events.
1.The wife cleaned out the freezers (getting room ready for all the wild game I am going to harvest this year). She left a box of various bait containers on the garage floor (part packs of smelts and minnows and pork rind and chicken skin).

2.The daughter came home late and left the garage door open.

3. The old dog is about deaf and likes to sleep on the top step in the garage stairway going into the house.

4. The dogs food bowl was out on the porch.

A skunk came right into the garage to have at the box of bait, then went out to try some dog food. I woke up to the sound of the skunk eating dog food outside our bedroom window and the dog finnaly woke up and barked as he ran outside to see who was at his food (he must have smelled the bandit as he surely didn't hear it). The skunk just let out a little bit of perfume and left.

Now if the dog had woke up while the skunk was in the garage there would have been serious trouble. The kind of thing you laugh about later. Much much later.

Robin in Rocky