Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-21-2007, 12:07 AM
Banned

Default Trap shoot

Well we have the AHEIA open going on this weekend. All you guys from Calgary should try and make it out for a day. It really is a good time.

As for my year so far.
I checked my averages for the year so far.
I am still considered a "D" shooter in singles, but I try and bump myself up in categories. Especially in the smaller shoots. Only seems fair as my average is weighed down by some god awful scores and I know I have more ability than that.
I am now considered a "B" shooter in doubles
Handicap has me shooting from 21 yards now instead of 20.

The big shoots for me are going to be the Stampede Grand and the provincials in Edmonton. I really want one of those stampede Trophy's. Very cool looking. Any trophy at the provincials would be a bonus in my book.

The new (to me) Citori is working out very well. The other day at the range I was just screwing around with the clays and busting them when I wanted to, where I wanted to and what part of the bird I wanted to blow up.

Just when I think I have this game by the tail... I step back to my handicap distance and proceeded to crap the bed. It got so bad I left my post (Just Dad and I ) walked back over to post #1 and finished my round from there just doing the basics and trying to get back on track.

This weekend I hope to shoot on Friday, first thing Sat morn and all day on Sunday.
Totals so far for 2007

700 singles
600 doubles
600 handicap

+ untold practice rounds.
I am going to be DEATH on birds this fall. (If I can find them. )

Jamie
Old 06-21-2007, 07:09 AM

Default trap vs hunting

Jamie,

I can't say that I've had a lot of experience with trap (or skeet) shooting. I usually try to shoot some clays with my own mechanical thrower over the course of the year to practice up a bit but I never do a pre-mount of my shotgun before the clay flies. I figure that it pays to practice my gun mount from various carry positions just like in real life. In your opinion, does shooting a pre-mounted gun on clays help you for the weird flushes and erratic flights of birds during the hunting season?
Old 06-21-2007, 08:53 AM
Banned

As far as the mount goes.. Not really. But after shooting so many rounds you know exactly where the gun is going to be on your shoulder. It turns into a reflex.
When fall rolls around, we play a little game where you have to keep your gun down and dont know when the bird is going to come. (The other guy pulls the bird)

For great practice, shoot sporting clays with the gun down.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:12 AM
Banned

Well today went OK.
I shot B Class doubles. Won it (92?)
I shot C Class Singles. Won it (93?)

When Handicap rolled around I was beat.. I think I shot 82.
I wonder if I got a but of Sun stroke today. I came home and I just couldnt cool off. I had a cold shower and it still didnt help. It took until 9:30 for me to start feeling ok.
I am not going to shoot tommorow, but I have a full day planed for Sunday.

I think Fasteel should sponsor me..

Jamie
Old 06-23-2007, 09:28 AM
Banned

Oh I forgott to mention that dad had one of his best rounds yesterday.
in his very first registered round of doubles he managed to get 47/50
He had a good day yesterday.
He won D class in both Doubles and singles and almost broke the 90 mark in Handicap. His game has come along ways.... But then he lives at the club.
LOLOLOLOL
Not bad for someone in his 80's

Mom thinks he needs a 12 step program. I had to drag his butt out there for a year before he would get really involved. Now a team of wild horses couldnt pull him away.

Jamie
Old 06-24-2007, 06:48 PM
Banned

So I couldn't make the final day of the shoot. Busy cleaning and sleeping.

Anyhow, Dad makes it out there. I wake up from my little afternoon nappy and ask if Dad had stopped by. Turns out he won Both the Singles and the doubles and get this, he won a shoot off for 3rd place in the handicap.

Between him and I we won 7 different events in our respective classes. And we didn't shoot on Saturday...

I am very proud of him and wish now I would have made it out to the club today. He has come along ways in a short period of time. His doubles are amazing considering he has never shot them in a registered shoot before.
That Handicap 3rd place blows my mind as there are no classes in that event. (Yardage differences)

Nice trophy's as well.

Jamie

Last edited by Jamie; 06-24-2007 at 07:16 PM.
Old 06-24-2007, 06:57 PM
50BMG

Good deal Jamie. Congrats to you both..you both have come a long way
Old 06-24-2007, 09:21 PM

Default Question

Hey Jamie,what club are you in for the skeet? and for any others in the Red Deer ,Sylvan area,is there a skeet club in this area as im still exploring the area,only moved down last august.And congrat's to you and your father for the placing's!.....................Excellent fun,only better to be found is a 40 yrd shallow,pond,with ducks dropping in,speedbrakes on,and hearing the splash as they hit the water......DEAD!
Old 06-24-2007, 09:30 PM
Banned

Lives north.

Though I have tried Skeet, it seems my passion is for TRAP.

Let me look into what clubs are up that way and I will post it up for you.

Jamie
BTW I just got into the ducks.. I love it.
Also thanks to both of you for the kind words about our success so far.
I am still in shock over dads great weekend.
6 events and 5 wins... WOW, WOW, WOW