Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-11-2020, 07:49 AM

Default delete

My rod collection is getting bigger and bigger !

And its going to get bigger

So what's your go to downrigger rod for Lakers ?
Old 07-11-2020, 09:24 AM

I have a few sets of downrigger or dispy rods but for Lakers and Salmon I have 2 sets of

Shimano Talora Rods Medium Flex, Moderate Action, Fast Tip 8'6"

http://fish.shimano.com/content/fish...NRIGGER_A.html

Okuma Cold Water Line Counter Reels 200 series LH

https://www.amazon.ca/Okuma-Coldwate...24STXNPDX5TMPT
Old 07-11-2020, 11:26 AM

I've been downrigging for lakers for over 40 years. I have two, 2-piece, 10 foot rods, one glass, and the other composite, and both take level-wind reels (I use ABU Garcia Ambassadeurs).

True downrigger rods are very specialized, single-purpose units and pretty much useless for any other form of fishing. They are basically wet noodles that load over the entire length of the rod, not just the tip. The intent is that they can take a full arc without exerting too much pressure on the downrigger release. That is the only way you will be able to get the 20-50 feet of line out behind the downrigger without constant releases to minor things like the boat moving in the waves etc.

You can use other rods as well; we have. The issue is you cannot load the rod heavily without getting early releases, meaning that you will regularly miss fish because the rod rebound after release is not consistently smooth to ensure good hookup.
Old 07-11-2020, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jednastka View Post
I've been downrigging for lakers for over 40 years. I have two, 2-piece, 10 foot rods, one glass, and the other composite, and both take level-wind reels (I use ABU Garcia Ambassadeurs).

True downrigger rods are very specialized, single-purpose units and pretty much useless for any other form of fishing. They are basically wet noodles that load over the entire length of the rod, not just the tip. The intent is that they can take a full arc without exerting too much pressure on the downrigger release. That is the only way you will be able to get the 20-50 feet of line out behind the downrigger without constant releases to minor things like the boat moving in the waves etc.

You can use other rods as well; we have. The issue is you cannot load the rod heavily without getting early releases, meaning that you will regularly miss fish because the rod rebound after release is not consistently smooth to ensure good hookup.

What rod do you mount your Ambassadour on ?
Old 07-11-2020, 07:28 PM

I picked up 4 8’6” cabelas inter line rods. I bit tough to thread but never worry about wrapping line on eyes. They stay at home with my downriggers now. Jigging only.
Old 07-11-2020, 07:41 PM

I went with the cabelas depthmasters and paired them with a tekota line counter reel. Hard to beat the price of the depthmasters and being able to spend the extra cash on a good reel.
Old 07-11-2020, 08:16 PM

Quote:

This is an excellent addition of information.

Precisely why I purchased these Shimano Talora rods with the combination parabolic moderate action spine and the fast tip. They are specific to downrigging.

I am convinced I've had far fewer false trips (when I'm loaded up hard) and landed more fish a compared to using a "regular" rod.

I am happy I purchased them. Wasn't 100% sure when I made the purchase but the first trip it was obvious.

I've never tried doing anything else with them, bit I'd agree, they wouldn't cast great, they would be to soft for jigging and trying a hard hook set.

The rods are really quite similar to the compound parabolic action you find in fly rods (and why they probably cost a little more to make maybe).
Old 07-12-2020, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
What rod do you mount your Ambassadeur on ?

We run both rods with Ambassadeur reels when we go.

One option is on one down rigger in a stacked setup; one off the the ball, 30-50' back with a sinking lure like a large spoon, and the other about 5 feet up limited by cable crimps with a neutral or floating plug without the big lip, and only 20-30 feet back.

At times, we run two downriggers, one rod to each, but that's a lot of work to clear the decks when a big fish is on, so I only do that with experienced fishermen aboard, like my brothers.

I should mention we use manual downriggers. Can't justify the electric ones.

Vic
Old 07-12-2020, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
This is an excellent addition of information.

Precisely why I purchased these Shimano Talora rods with the combination parabolic moderate action spine and the fast tip. They are specific to downrigging.

I am convinced I've had far fewer false trips (when I'm loaded up hard) and landed more fish a compared to using a "regular" rod.

I am happy I purchased them. Wasn't 100% sure when I made the purchase but the first trip it was obvious.

I've never tried doing anything else with them, bit I'd agree, they wouldn't cast great, they would be to soft for jigging and trying a hard hook set.

The rods are really quite similar to the compound parabolic action you find in fly rods (and why they probably cost a little more to make maybe).

You are exactly correct on the issues!

Vic
Old 07-12-2020, 08:13 PM

Quote:

One option is on one down rigger in a stacked setup; one off the the ball, 30-50' back with a sinking lure like a large spoon, and the other about 5 feet up limited by cable crimps with a neutral or floating plug without the big lip, and only 20-30 feet back.

At times, we run two downriggers, one rod to each, but that's a lot of work to clear the decks when a big fish is on, so I only do that with experienced fishermen aboard, like my brothers.

Vic
I ran manual riggers for years. My arms were like Popeye's lol.

Once I went to electric - I was kicking myself for not doing it sooner. Only problem is novices on board ........... almost everyone in my boat I fished with screwed up and hit the button (on a Scotty it's UP) and the down is the brake handle and BAAAAAMMMMM lost the cannon ball and the bumper and clip every time (it uses braid instead of wire).

I put a second set of stop beads on now.

3 times. 3 different guys.

2 of three of these guys are members here .......... and should be ashamed of themselves.

lol
Old 07-12-2020, 10:28 PM

There are downrigger specific rods and trolling/crankbait rods also work well. The main thing is that you want a slower action rod with good backbone. They will absorb small movements and take up slack when tripped. I like shorter salmon/steelhead rods (up to 9', longer isn't necessary and can get awkward).

From my kayak I prefer a shorter rod and use a 7' crankbait rod but from a boat I prefer an 8'6" or 9' salmon rod. If you want a great quality rod look at the G. Loomis salmon/steelhead rods. The taloras and some other cheaper trolling/downrigger rods work well but are a bit more bulky/heavy than high end more expensive rods.
Old 07-13-2020, 05:24 AM

I use the St. Croix downrigging rods. I use the 9.5 footers when in a lower type fishing boat and on my larger decked boat which sits higher I use the 10.5 footers. Reasons being just what EZ and Jed... said. Same rods work well with dipsys.
Long time ago I started out with the depthmasters but I run 65lb stealth line and the wire guides were tough friction wise on that.
I just switched over from Diawa counters to Okuma counters for reels.

Osky
Old 07-13-2020, 11:31 AM

Quote:
My rod collection is getting bigger and bigger !

And its going to get bigger

So what's your go to downrigger rod for Lakers ?
I have a couple of different ones but the ones I like best are Ugly stick downrigger rods. They are a glass graphite composite and came with a lifetime guarantee. Not sure if they still make them though.
Old 07-15-2020, 01:13 PM

Quote:

Vic
No you should not mention you use manual downrigger or electric or what kind of reel. the question is.......what kind of rod do you use when clipped into a downrigger ?
Old 07-16-2020, 03:06 PM

Quote:
No you should not mention you use manual downrigger or electric or what kind of reel. the question is.......what kind of rod do you use when clipped into a downrigger ?
See post #3, which was answering your first question. This post (#8) is answering your question in Post #4.

Vic
Old 07-16-2020, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osky View Post
I use the St. Croix downrigging rods. I use the 9.5 footers when in a lower type fishing boat and on my larger decked boat which sits higher I use the 10.5 footers. Reasons being just what EZ and Jed... said. Same rods work well with dipsys.
Long time ago I started out with the depthmasters but I run 65lb stealth line and the wire guides were tough friction wise on that.
I just switched over from Diawa counters to Okuma counters for reels.

Osky
Yeah, not sure which series you run on the Okuma, but their stuff is always great. My last 2 trolling reels were Okuma Cold Water series counters.

Absolutely bullet proof - I really like them a lot. Best value out there - I'm pretty sure this is a great price - I'm pretty sure I paid over $200 when they first came out.

https://www.amazon.ca/OKUMA-Moulinet...63261386&psc=1