Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-09-2020, 10:01 PM

Default Catch and Cook Fire Roasted Rockfish

Catch and Cook Blue Rockfish over and open fire on a green Alder stick. Come along with us as we are on another EPIC ADVENTURE out on Vancouver Island in the town of Ucluelet fishing Barkley Sound. While fishing for salmon we caught a few of these Pelagic Rockfish and decided to keep some for dinner. The kids really wanted to do a catch and cook. Or maybe that was my idea and they seconded it quite easily. It was actually a lot of fun doing this and I think I am going to try to do this more often. For some reason people really seem to like these Fishing / Cooking episodes. So here it is, the First one in a long time.

We found this great Cabin for the Family just outside of town with a beutiful setting in the woods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiOaK5IiqeE

I posted the pics earlier on another post.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 07-10-2020, 07:01 AM

Now that's a real shore meal. Best part was watching the kids devour the morsels especially the youngest one, she couldn't seem to get enough. Of course your play by play and commentary was spot on. Thanks for the morning smile
Old 07-10-2020, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
Now that's a real shore meal. Best part was watching the kids devour the morsels especially the youngest one, she couldn't seem to get enough. Of course your play by play and commentary was spot on. Thanks for the morning smile
Thanks, the kids are growing up. They become more entertaining with time. I'm glad they enjoy coming out.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!

Last edited by Brandonkop; 07-10-2020 at 11:34 AM.
Old 07-10-2020, 11:59 AM

Cool Video.

Love the last part, one kid eating an eyeball and the youngest one goes for the head at the end … lol

These kids have been raised properly. They know where their food comes from and do not have any pre-conceived notions of what's food and what's "gross".

In the old country, we would often whole roast lamb and pigs on a split. Came to Canada and that tradition continued. Had a friend over from school when I was a youngster and he was shocked and grossed out by the head ..... I remember laughing and grabbing an ear and eating it - the kid looked like he was about to run home.

I was going to go for the eyeball but decided he had enough. Good thing he was not around when my uncle and dad spit the skull open for some brains. He would have hurled.

Your kids are raised properly - kids needs to know and understand where food comes from and be a part of preparation. They are the next generation who will protect our hunting and fishing heritage.

Great video. You are doing us all, and our grandkids a big favor by posting this.

Thank-you.
Old 07-10-2020, 12:58 PM

Nice video Brandon. How were the cabins?
Good job on netting the springer in the background - the lunge!
Old 07-10-2020, 01:25 PM

that is so bad to tease us stuck in flat land. kids eating fish after hot dogs great job and as parents.
Old 07-10-2020, 04:38 PM

Now that there is some great family time and good eats...One of the better fish catch-n-cook videos I've seen in a while. Great job Brandon.
Old 07-10-2020, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Cool Video.

Love the last part, one kid eating an eyeball and the youngest one goes for the head at the end … lol

These kids have been raised properly. They know where their food comes from and do not have any pre-conceived notions of what's food and what's "gross".

In the old country, we would often whole roast lamb and pigs on a split. Came to Canada and that tradition continued. Had a friend over from school when I was a youngster and he was shocked and grossed out by the head ..... I remember laughing and grabbing an ear and eating it - the kid looked like he was about to run home.

I was going to go for the eyeball but decided he had enough. Good thing he was not around when my uncle and dad spit the skull open for some brains. He would have hurled.

Your kids are raised properly - kids needs to know and understand where food comes from and be a part of preparation. They are the next generation who will protect our hunting and fishing heritage.

Great video. You are doing us all, and our grandkids a big favor by posting this.

Thank-you.
I was surprised she actually ate the eye. You're right though my kids don't know what "gross" even means. They're home schooled and exposed to all the "gross" stuff in life like it is normal. They love playing with bugs and worms and also sorts of things which would "gross" most other kids out. I'm pretty happy with how they're turning out. You are absolutely correct that the next generation needs kids like this or all the ANTI's will take it away forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Nice video Brandon. How were the cabins?
Good job on netting the springer in the background - the lunge!
We actually loved the cabin. The people have two guest cabins at the back of their property. You feel completely isolated surrounded by the West coast Rain Forest. The cabin had a nice kitchen, on demand propane water heater, one bathroom and shower. There was no kitchen table but a bar style eating area in the living room. A pull out couch. Upstairs in the loft type master there was another comfy bed. Outside they had a double wide jacuzzi tub that the kids loved. With nobody around it was a clothing optional good time for he kids and mom. I never went in, always busy with fishing stuff and downloading video and charging batteries. Quite a nice little place. No ocean view though, but super reasonable price and the fire was great. We had a fire every night except when it rained one evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher Gord View Post
that is so bad to tease us stuck in flat land. kids eating fish after hot dogs great job and as parents.
Sorry... think of it as inspiration. Yeah hot dogs, smores and rockfish. For some reason my baby loves eating fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
Now that there is some great family time and good eats...One of the better fish catch-n-cook videos I've seen in a while. Great job Brandon.
Well thank you very much for the kind words. I'm not sure it will be widly liked or watched since quite different from what I usually make. Hope some people appreciate it like you.

Thanks for watching guys!

Old 07-10-2020, 08:49 PM

Excellent post... those kids (and dad) clearly demonstrate the finer things in life. Thanks
Old 07-10-2020, 10:02 PM

That was a great video.Its so refreshing seeing the kids enjoying the outdoors and watching them help out with the fish before a tasty meal.It was so funny watching your youngest chewing on the last morsel!You and your wife should be very proud on how you have raised your family.Parents these days would be freaking out if the kids touched the fish much less eating all of it.Keep up the great work and look forward to your next video.
Old 07-10-2020, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloughsharkjigger View Post
Excellent post... those kids (and dad) clearly demonstrate the finer things in life. Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACKER View Post
That was a great video.Its so refreshing seeing the kids enjoying the outdoors and watching them help out with the fish before a tasty meal.It was so funny watching your youngest chewing on the last morsel!You and your wife should be very proud on how you have raised your family.Parents these days would be freaking out if the kids touched the fish much less eating all of it.Keep up the great work and look forward to your next video.
Haha, I'm glad you guys think so because there are many people who think I'm endangering my kids life and a terrible parent. People have gone so far as saying they hope I die (people are crazy these days). Nice to hear from some down to earth folks that also enjoy life a little different than todays digital norm.

Old 07-11-2020, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post
Haha, I'm glad you guys think so because there are many people who think I'm endangering my kids life and a terrible parent. People have gone so far as saying they hope I die (people are crazy these days). Nice to hear from some down to earth folks that also enjoy life a little different than todays digital norm.
Ignore the whack jobs who’s kids are growing up to be feeble incompetent adults that will be offended by everything. Unfortunately I find southwest BC was over run with theses types

I have never eaten rockfish cooked like that but it looks good. Myself I will take quilback over salmon any day. Next time you need to add some prawns cooked on a stick over the fire they are good
Old 07-12-2020, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Ignore the whack jobs who’s kids are growing up to be feeble incompetent adults that will be offended by everything. Unfortunately I find southwest BC was over run with theses types

I have never eaten rockfish cooked like that but it looks good. Myself I will take quilback over salmon any day. Next time you need to add some prawns cooked on a stick over the fire they are good

Agree with Smokey on the ignore. It is refreshing to see kids being kids. The right way.

Thanks for the info on the cabins!
I’ll have to add this to the plans. Ocean view is not a big deal.

Just in Nanaimo. Heading to Port Hardy this afternoon. 2 days of fishing to follow! Yeehaw!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-12-2020, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Agree with Smokey on the ignore. It is refreshing to see kids being kids. The right way.

Thanks for the info on the cabins!
I’ll have to add this to the plans. Ocean view is not a big deal.

Just in Nanaimo. Heading to Port Hardy this afternoon. 2 days of fishing to follow! Yeehaw!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have fun in port hardy. I'll be headed there in August. I love that place.

Thanks regarding the net Job on the spring. Forgot to mention that last time. Netting fish with kids on the rod is difficult since they have trouble directing the fish or raising the rod up. Not sure if you notice at one point i was trying to lift her rod tip with the net. Luckily the fish jump so she was able to get the rod up and straight in the net.

Old 07-12-2020, 03:18 PM

That was an excellent video Brandon!

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 07-12-2020, 03:35 PM

Default Good times

That was good, my kids always enjoy camp fire cooks. My daughter still talks about eating the crispy tail, lol
Old 07-12-2020, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
That was an excellent video Brandon!
Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinisgood View Post
That was good, my kids always enjoy camp fire cooks. My daughter still talks about eating the crispy tail, lol
Yeah the kids always seem to love camp fires. I know I was a fire addict as a kid. Chopping wood and building fires. Somehow I never lost a toe or fell in the fire.

Old 07-12-2020, 10:54 PM

Quote:

If I got some prawns from superstore to cook over a fire would you watch it haha

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 07-13-2020, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post
If I got some prawns from superstore to cook over a fire would you watch it haha
I don't eat prawns so they will have to watch you cook superstore caught prawns.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Old 07-13-2020, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post
Probably not but if you find a group of hot women to do it and record them I might
Old 07-13-2020, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post
I don't eat prawns so they will have to watch you cook superstore caught prawns.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
You don’t eat prawns !

At one time I thought you were someone I could get along with but now I am not sure about that lol
Old 07-13-2020, 11:10 PM

Quote:
You don’t eat prawns !

At one time I thought you were someone I could get along with but now I am not sure about that lol
Haha, are you kidding. Me not eating prawns means more prawns for you! Think about it, I'm better to have around. I don't eat the bacon, no prawns and a whole host of other stuff that you can have all to yourself.